Can anything be added to Alnutrin to make it more appealing?

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I keep trying batch after batch of Alnutrin with Krista and she's not impressed. Can I grind freeze-dried heart into it or increase the liver to up its appeal or would that over-supplement? Any other ideas what I might be able to add to make it more appealing? Salmon oil?

I have a few more packets left to keep trying.

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
What about animal digest, aka fortiflora?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The animal digest is almost certainly containing chicken judging from the way Krista reacts to it. Fortiflora is a no-go with her.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Heart's an easy pick since it just counts as muscle meat anyway. And there's no problem with fish oil, either.

As for liver, how much are you using? They have varying recommendations for the liver and I use the upper amount, about .8 ounce.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I tried to use fresh liver but I don't have a meat grinder and it just didn't mix well by spoon (or food processor.) So I tried picking out the unmixed liver and adding freeze dried instead. I did not calculate that conversion. I didn't add an equivalent amount. Actually, I just did the math and the amount I added was nearly 0.8 oz. Between half and 0.8 oz.

I wish there was an alternative to EZ Complete (one that doesn't have chicken liver or digestive enzymes that don't agree with her.) I'd like something I can scale down to a single serving rather than burning 1 lbs batches at a time on this picky kitty.

I did order a manual grinder since I'm not expecting to grind bone any time soon and don't want to spend too much on an electric just yet. It should arrive tomorrow.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I tried to use fresh liver but I don't have a meat grinder and it just didn't mix well by spoon (or food processor.) So I tried picking out the unmixed liver and adding freeze dried instead. I did not calculate that conversion. I didn't add an equivalent amount. Actually, I just did the math and the amount I added was nearly 0.8 oz. Between half and 0.8 oz.
Were you using cooked or raw liver? I put cooked liver in a processor with a little water and it makes a nice gunk that blends well with everything else.

I don't know what conversions would be for freeze-dried liver so can't help you there, sorry!

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Were you using cooked or raw liver? I put cooked liver in a processor with a little water and it makes a nice gunk that blends well with everything else.

I don't know what conversions would be for freeze-dried liver so can't help you there, sorry!
I was using raw liver. I can try cooked.

I don't remember where I found the calculation for freeze-dried conversion. But according to my spreadsheet, for anyone else who is curious:

( (100-%moisture of fresh liver (or heart)) / (100-%moisture of freeze-dried liver ) ) * desired fresh weight = freeze-dried equivalent

To get the first number, look up the USDA value for moisture in fresh liver and subtract from 100% to get %solids of fresh.

The second number is the same %solids calculation using the moisture number on the back of the bag of your freeze-dried liver (or heart.)

For liver, the USDA moisture value of fresh is 75.5% so the percent of solids is 100-75.5=24.5.

For the freeze-dried liver that I have, the %moisture is 3.25%. Solids are 100-3.25=96.75.

To find the freeze-dried equivalent of 1/2 oz fresh liver or 14 grams:

24.5/96.75 * 14 = 3.55 grams of freeze-dried liver

And I have the %solids numbers and the calculation in a Google Sheet so I can enter in desired fresh amount and it will tell me the freeze-dried I need to add.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I keep trying batch after batch of Alnutrin with Krista and she's not impressed. Can I grind freeze-dried heart into it or increase the liver to up its appeal or would that over-supplement? Any other ideas what I might be able to add to make it more appealing? Salmon oil?

I have a few more packets left to keep trying.
Adding more liver and/or salmon oil would be fine. As long as you don't add tons there is no need to worry about over supplementing.

I sometimes add canned sardines (water packed, no seasoning) to my foods to give them a bit of something different. Like salmon oil, they are also a good source of omega 3's.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was using raw liver. I can try cooked.

I don't remember where I found the calculation for freeze-dried conversion. But according to my spreadsheet, for anyone else who is curious:

( (100-%moisture of fresh liver (or heart)) / (100-%moisture of freeze-dried liver ) ) * desired fresh weight = freeze-dried equivalent

To get the first number, look up the USDA value for moisture in fresh liver and subtract from 100% to get %solids of fresh.

The second number is the same %solids calculation using the moisture number on the back of the bag of your freeze-dried liver (or heart.)

For liver, the USDA moisture value of fresh is 75.5% so the percent of solids is 100-75.5=24.5.

For the freeze-dried liver that I have, the %moisture is 3.25%. Solids are 100-3.25=96.75.

To find the freeze-dried equivalent of 1/2 oz fresh liver or 14 grams:

24.5/96.75 * 14 = 3.55 grams of freeze-dried liver

And I have the %solids numbers and the calculation in a Google Sheet so I can enter in desired fresh amount and it will tell me the freeze-dried I need to add.
You can also use my on-line calculator : rawcalc.org

darg

Gizmo
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If your cat can tolerate some bone you can try mixing in some freeze dried raw. Doesn't take a whole lot to flavor up the Meat / Alnutrin. I used this trick when first feeding raw and it really helped the cat find it more appealing. I've decreased the amount quite a bit but still mix a little bit in or crumble a little on top.

PS. I use mschauer's rawcalc calculator to do my conversion for the freeze dried turkey liver that I use. Excellent resource.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've decreased the amount quite a bit but still mix a little bit in or crumble a little on top.
I do this, too, though I think they'd eat Alnutrin even without a garnish. Cat Catering tries very hard!

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If your cat can tolerate some bone you can try mixing in some freeze dried raw. Doesn't take a whole lot to flavor up the Meat / Alnutrin. I used this trick when first feeding raw and it really helped the cat find it more appealing. I've decreased the amount quite a bit but still mix a little bit in or crumble a little on top.

PS. I use mschauer's rawcalc calculator to do my conversion for the freeze dried turkey liver that I use. Excellent resource.
I'm doing this already trying to keep her eating the Rawz until we land upon a raw she likes or she decides Rawz is her favorite again.

While Krista Test Kitchen continues, I think I will withhold the turkey flavor of Rawz for a bit to make it new again with her. In the meantime, I top the rabbit Rawz with crumbled Stella And Chewy's freeze-dried rabbit and the Rawz duck has salmon oil in the recipe so it needs no further enticements.

dhammagirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Some cats, one of mine, really likes nutritional yeast (not brewers yeast). I get non-fortified nutritional yeast for the kitties.

Some freeze dried liver crumbled or crushed into the food might be liked.