Can anyone tell me what this is?

hannahe01

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat grooms often. Not excessively I don’t think. Just every so often. I’ve noticed tho that he has a spot that looks like this from licking. I’m wondering if this is something to be concerned about?

Attachments

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi hannahe01 hannahe01 , are you sure that lesion comes from him licking himself too much?
Are you seeing him licking that spot always till it got naked?
Would it be possible that he has some kind of issue in that spot, like an itch, a pain? Does he have access to the outside? Have you seen him shaking his paw as if something is bothering him? Does he let you touch or inspect that paw and spot?
If he goes outside, could he have got hurt, stung or bitten by something? An insect or a bug?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hannahe01

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi hannahe01 hannahe01 , are you sure that lesion comes from him licking himself too much?
Are you seeing him licking that spot always till it got naked?
Would it be possible that he has some kind of issue in that spot, like an itch, a pain? Does he have access to the outside? Have you seen him shaking his paw as if something is bothering him? Does he let you touch or inspect that paw and spot?
If he goes outside, could he have got hurt, stung or bitten by something? An insect or a bug?
He’s strictly indoors. And yes I saw him licking it until it was a little bald. He doesn’t act like it hurts and it doesn’t look like he’s in pain. He acts fine otherwise I just noticed sometimes he will lick little bald patches

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He’s strictly indoors. And yes I saw him licking it until it was a little bald. He doesn’t act like it hurts and it doesn’t look like he’s in pain. He acts fine otherwise I just noticed sometimes he will lick little bald patches
It could be stress (boredom or something he doesn't like in his environment) or an itch, due to a neurologic issue or an allergy to something, or even a paresthesia.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. That looks like he's been biting at that spot - since it would seem that it looks raw or perhaps even a bit bloody? No other spots on his body? I would try using chamomile tea (grocery store variety tea bags which are all typically German - you don't want English, nor any additives/flavorings). Brew a bag in water, cool the liquid and dab it on that area with cotton balls or a soft cloth multiple times a day. The tea has both soothing and healing properties, and is considered an anti-bacterial/anti-fungal agent - it is also safe for him if he should ingest any of it.

If you can clear it up, and it doesn't come back, it is likely he irritated that area on something in your house and it has just been bugging him so he licks at it. If it comes back or other spots appear on his body, you will have to start looking for sources of allergens - litter, cleaning products, etc. - things of that nature, especially if you have changed any of these type items in the recent past.

Last edited: