Can anyone share any experiences please.

Prettypersians007

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi.

I currently have a 2 year old Persian who is pregnant. She was stud on the17th jan. so she’s towards the end of her pregnancy I’m a little baffled, as I haven’t seen her groom herself the entire pregnancy and I’m having to wash her bum for her. Also no grooming or licking her tummy at all. Just seen her lick her paws that’s about it.

Her nipples are swollen and I can see what looks like dry milk scabs, I can see them all moving loads, she’s affectionate and eating well. Due date around now to 23rd March.
She has 3 nesting boxes which non she has visited and prefers to just lounge on the floor. I’ve had to put her in the boxes myself just to basically show her ( this is a safe place ) Is all this normal? She’s not normally a vocal cat anyway not even when she’s in heat so I’m worried if I miss a sign. This is her first litter so I’m quite nervous. Is there any signs to look out for or any Persian breeders on here that can tell me what’s normal
With this breed of cat?
Thanks everyone x

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
All sounds normal so far, though I’m not experienced specifically with Persians. I do know that the birthing process for Persians can be a bit more difficult sometimes due to the shape of the heads of the kittens. Do you have an emergency number available for a nearby vet if the need arises? I agree that she is nearing the end and that she is due sometime next week.

Cats do tend to nest just before delivering, and will pick the spot they want, then sometimes move the kittens later, or you can move the whole family to a better place when she’s done if need be.

She is very beautiful! Do not breed her more than once per year to 18 months for the sake of her health. Do keep us posted! 😊

Prettypersians007 Prettypersians007

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Prettypersians007

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
All sounds normal so far, though I’m not experienced specifically with Persians. I do know that the birthing process for Persians can be a bit more difficult sometimes due to the shape of the heads of the kittens. Do you have an emergency number available for a nearby vet if the need arises? I agree that she is nearing the end and that she is due sometime next week.

Cats do tend to nest just before delivering, and will pick the spot they want, then sometimes move the kittens later, or you can move the whole family to a better place when she’s done if need be.

She is very beautiful! Do not breed her more than once per year to 18 months for the sake of her health. Do keep us posted! 😊

Thankyou.
This is her first and last litter, I’m keeping one of her babies back. Since yesterday she has been searching for spots underneath the sink, going into storage cubes, finally went into her nesting box and started padding the blankets. I thought we was going to have some babies as she did start to lick etc.
Still no sign nothing from her vulva still eating like a pig! 😂
And seams so sleepy doesn’t really come to me for attention now and just sleeps all through the day. She’s acting as if she is in heat, I brush her regular and she’s sticking her bum in the air with her tail to the side crouching low to floor like she does when she’s in heat. She also wanted to go outside so I’ve had to lock her in the birthing room with all her food and toilet just so one of the kids don’t accidentally let her out with the dogs. Is it normal to experience heat symptoms from a pregnant cat I’ve never heard of these symptoms before? Also I noticed she would be laid still and then suddenly whip her head around and look at her tum, not sure weather it’s just a kitten in a funny position or something.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, pregnancy hormones and heat hormones are very similar. Good for you not letting her out. I’m not surprised that she’s sleeping a great deal at the end of her pregnancy, and she’s very uncomfortable as well. All sounds good so far! 😊

Prettypersians007

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Also I think she’s dropped, as she doesn’t even look to be pregnant anymore when she’s
Yes, pregnancy hormones and heat hormones are very similar. Good for you not letting her out. I’m not surprised that she’s sleeping a great deal at the end of her pregnancy, and she’s very uncomfortable as well. All sounds good so far! 😊
Hi sorry to pester you yet again.
She seams to be contracting but not pushing with the contraction if that makes sense she still moving around but more anxious now it seams. Seen this happen about twice they looked pretty strong. Is this normal or should I be worried?
Hasn’t touched her food today.
Thanks

Prettypersians007

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It sounds like she may be in labor. How close are the contractions? How is she doing now?
Hi.
So it seams to have stopped, but she is twitching. The kittens are moving less and it now looks like she’s not even pregnant? I even questioned “ could it be a phantom? But surly not as I’ve seen her babies moving? Am I right?? I’m extra panicking now so I’m going to phone the vet in the morning to see if I can get her in for X-ray make sure everything is how it should be. She still hasn’t touched her food her tummy keeps going hard and soft and then back hard.
So confused 😟😟 I thought she was in pre labour when I saw her contracting earlier. I don’t know what to think

the photos below some she doesn’t even look like she’s carrying at all, all taken today x

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
This sounds like the normal end of pregnancy stage, but a vet checkup is always a good idea. Let us know what the vet says.