Can anyone recommend a good chew toy for a cat?

thefishyone

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Terra the Cat LOOOOOVES stirings and cords, but for her, the only thing better than playing with a string or cord is chewing on it. She used to chew on the cord of my nice gaming mouse until I got a Mac and switched to wireless. Now, she prefers to chew on the drawstring of my sweatpants.

I can’t just stop wearing pants around the house, as my roommate likely wouldn’t appreciate it. Jackson Galaxy says that to effectively change a problematic behavior in a cat, you have to meet them halfway. Is there a good chew tou out there that is shaped like a cord, but is safe for a cat to chew on?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
HMMMMMM...not exactly what you are looking for, but might do the trick...
1669533980532.png

And it brushes their teeth.

IF your cat is fixated on cords, you could always buy a cheap extension cord and let her go to town on that. Although, the downside is that she may not make a distinction between "chew THIS but not THIS." The upside is that the metal core means she can't strip off enough of the insulating material to get twisted in her innards.

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
They might be hard to find depending on where you live, but I found plastic straws, especially the thick milkshake straws work well for chews for cats. I even sometimes stuff them with catnip, seal up the ends (melt the plastic with a lighter and press together) and poke some small holes in it with a tack so the smell comes out.

CaseysMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, please do cover those cords! I thought I might be going overboard covering Every.Stinking.Electrical.Cord. in my house with plastic tubing before I let Tiny out of her safe room, but I'm so glad I did, because she is a chewer too. She loves my drawstring pants too! :lol:

It's not really a toy, but I leave lots of cardboard boxes around and she chews on them constantly. She also chews on her corrugated scratch pads. Not the prettiest look, but it makes her happy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

thefishyone

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all the feedback!

U had thought of using bitters, but I’m not sure how well it would jive with the computer equipment the cords are attached to. Terra is rather intelligent for a cat, and knows the value of persistence and consistence, so I would have to coat the entire length of cord (about 6 feet).

Before I got my new iMac, I had a heavily overcooked PC with dual exhaust fans on the front of the chassis that Terra would absolutely LOVE to warm her butt in front of. Now that said space is completely vacant, do you guys think setting a space under the desk for her with a blanket and toys would be a good idea? Keep in mind that Cash the Pit Bull Puppy now lives here full time, and I want that area to be a dog free zone.

Last edited: