Can anyone rate my wet+dry food choice?

Shanal

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We're giving our 3 years old Siamese Royal Canin dry food rn.

Ik wet is better, though kitty doesn't prefer it much- like, at all... and she drinks a loot of water anyway, so she stays plenty hydrated.

But we were considering adding wet food to the diet, as well. Even if she doesn't transition completely into it, some on the side would be nice, right?

Was thinking of Farmina N&D Quail & Coconut Wet Cat Food. Is it any good?

Other than that, my options are Farmina Matisse Mousse cat food. Or Applaws cat food.

Or Hill's Prescription Ocean Fish Diet Urinary Care c/d Multicare

Would love to hear some opinions.

Flybynight

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
S Shanal
Hi,
I use Farmina & Matisse wet foods, my cats like both.
Both are a little carby but not as much as dry food. You can offer as a rotation, some days Matisse, some Farmina.
I usually feed the duck & pumpkin or quail & pumpkin Farmina or the lamb & blueberry Farmina.
I have used all the Matisse but usually buy the rabbit or cod.

For Applaws, they have lots of supplementary tins/packets that are meant to be fed along with dry food in the diet. These tins are not complete foods but do add moisture to the diet.
The exceptions are Applaws senior tins and the pates that come in trays, usually sold in multipack boxes, these are all complete nutrition and can be fed on their own in a diet.
I do buy the Applaws pate boxes from time to time. They come in three flavors per box.
(I have read Applaws has a new mousse but have not seen it yet).

If your cat is drinking lots of water she probably is dehydrated to a degree.
When you add wet to her diet, make sure dry food is not left out for free feeding.
The dry is sprayed with a coating to appeal to cats and encourage them to eat it. Dry can be very addictive.

livismom1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat is VERY picky as well and it was very hard to get him off dry food. I think I had to have spent hundreds of dollars on wet and dehydrated foods to find what he will "eat" or "kind of eat". He will eat the Farmina canned pumpkin line. I rotate between all of the flavors with venison or boar being the favorites. But the bulk of his daily feedings is dehydrated freeze dried raw. He LOVES the chicken and lamb feast from Feline Naturals. I also rotate with Stella & Chewy's duck duck goose.

The only time he ever drinks water is if I didn't add enough water to the dehydrated food. I also add extra water to the wet food. Cats needs more water than they will willingly drink. They need to get it from their food.

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Super Cat
Purraise
Just to add on — despite what the big three will insist on to sell high profit margin kibble, it’s been known since the 80s that cats can only compensate for half their necessary water intake with drinking when fed dry food Water balance in the dog and cat This leads to chronic dehydration; chronic dehydration can cause a huge host of issues, including kidney and urinary issues.

LTS3

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
But we were considering adding wet food to the diet, as well. Even if she doesn't transition completely into it, some on the side would be nice, right?
Some wet food is better than nothing at all :)

Was thinking of Farmina N&D Quail & Coconut Wet Cat Food. Is it any good?
Cats have no use for coconuts or other fruits or veggies in the diet. Pet food companies put those in food as a marketing gimmick to appeal to what people think of a healthy (people) diet is: fruits, veggies, grains, etc.

Or Applaws cat food.
None of the wet Applaws food sold in the US are complete balanced diets. They're ok as treats or served alongside dry food once in awhile but they are not meals on their own. Think of them as cookies or pudding.

Or Hill's Prescription Ocean Fish Diet Urinary Care c/d Multicare
Why urinary food? If your cat has no urinary issues there is no point to feed a urinary specific food. Many urinary issues can be prevented by feeding an all wet food diet and encouraging water intake.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Shanal

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Some wet food is better than nothing at all :)

Cats have no use for coconuts or other fruits or veggies in the diet. Pet food companies put those in food as a marketing gimmick to appeal to what people think of a healthy (people) diet is: fruits, veggies, grains, etc.

None of the wet Applaws food sold in the US are complete balanced diets. They're ok as treats or served alongside dry food once in awhile but they are not meals on their own. Think of them as cookies or pudding.

Why urinary food? If your cat has no urinary issues there is no point to feed a urinary specific food. Many urinary issues can be prevented by feeding an all wet food diet and encouraging water intake.
Mostly because our country (india) has very limited options for wet food available. I'm merely listing the ones I can fetch online.

I'd be feeding her smalls or freeze dried stuff- or one of the universally acclaimed wet food if it wasn't for that lol

LTS3

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Mostly because our country (india) has very limited options for wet food available. I'm merely listing the ones I can fetch online.

Yeah, non-US countries can have limited pet food options :ohwell: Just feed the highest quality food you can easily find and can afford. Hills is basically junk quality so I wouldn't feed that.

Shanal

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yeah, non-US countries can have limited pet food options :ohwell: Just feed the highest quality food you can easily find and can afford. Hills is basically junk quality so I wouldn't feed that.
The only reason I'm feeding Royal Canin for my dry food is because of the grain-free and heart issue stuff recently. There haven't been enough research but until clarification it really does seem risky.

Legumes tend to absorb taurine is what I'm getting. Farmina dry food adds additional taurine and doesn't have much legume... but it has potato, and it's rumored that they can cause similar stuff. So, yeah...

Not only we have less options, but most of the "highest quality" food available are very iffy with this stuff going around lol.

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Super Cat
Purraise
The only reason I'm feeding Royal Canin for my dry food is because of the grain-free and heart issue stuff recently. There haven't been enough research but until clarification it really does seem risky.
This has been disproven and was only ever relevant for dogs. The issue wasn’t specifically the lack of grains, as foods with grains were also reported to cause DCM in dogs, it was more related to the further composition of the foods rather than GF status.

Legumes tend to absorb taurine is what I'm getting. Farmina dry food adds additional taurine and doesn't have much legume... but it has potato, and it's rumored that they can cause similar stuff. So, yeah...
Source? Farmina is definitely better quality than Hills or RC. Potatoes aren’t great (carbs and starch), but legumes are worse, given that breeders have found that legume rich pet foods negatively affect fertility. Goodness knows what else they could potentially do to the system due to the effect they have on hormones.

Shanal

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This has been disproven and was only ever relevant for dogs. The issue wasn’t specifically the lack of grains, as foods with grains were also reported to cause DCM in dogs, it was more related to the further composition of the foods rather than GF status.

Source? Farmina is definitely better quality than Hills or RC. Potatoes aren’t great (carbs and starch), but legumes are worse, given that breeders have found that legume rich pet foods negatively affect fertility. Goodness knows what else they could potentially do to the system due to the effect they have on hormones.
LEGUMES, DILATED CARDIOMYOPATHY (DCM), AND TAURINE DEFICIENCY

It's implied that legumes and potatoes tend to absorb the taurine and cause taurine deficiency, leading to DCM and deaths. It's even more grave in cats because unlike dogs, cats don't produce any taurine within their body and rely completely on diets for it.

It has nothing to do with the lack of grains tbh- but rather, addition of legumes and potatoes, which are grain-replacers in every grain-free dry food. Ig it's not mentioned as much in cats because cats are small and need lesser taurine, but if the research is true after all, I wouldn't want to take risk with the cat, specially in long-run.

A work-around might be getting taurine supplements, but that'll be bit much to manage.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
LEGUMES, DILATED CARDIOMYOPATHY (DCM), AND TAURINE DEFICIENCY

It's implied that legumes and potatoes tend to absorb the taurine and cause taurine deficiency, leading to DCM and deaths. It's even more grave in cats because unlike dogs, cats don't produce any taurine within their body and rely completely on diets for it.

It has nothing to do with the lack of grains tbh- but rather, addition of legumes and potatoes, which are grain-replacers in every grain-free dry food. Ig it's not mentioned as much in cats because cats are small and need lesser taurine, but if the research is true after all, I wouldn't want to take risk with the cat, specially in long-run.

A work-around might be getting taurine supplements, but that'll be bit much to manage.
This is all related to dogs. Cats are not small dogs. You cannot use dog health issues interchangeably with cat health issues. There are very few cat foods that do not supplement taurine specifically because cats cannot make it. Dog food manufacturers may not have been supplementing with taurine before this because dogs can synthesize it from precursor amino acids. Cats cannot.

Many brands that are considered junk or low quality are perfectly fine to feed. They may actually be better than you think precisely because they aren't trying to appeal to the human buying the food. Friskies, Whiskas, Fancy Feast, Sheba and many Purina brands are just as good as the more expensive, more healthy looking foods. Carbs, starches, grains, fruits, veggies, they are all unnecessary and potentially harmful in cats. Find something that is as close to meat, moisture, organs, and supplements. That's what cats need. They don't need kibble or coconut.

Flybynight

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I disagree, that cheap brands are necessarily equivalent to the more expensive. Exceptions of course.
Whiskas & Felix I know in Europe, have added sugar and are primarily plant protein not animal.
Sheba again in Europe added sugar and heavy on plant protein.
Speaking of appealing to humans, all brands try to - as humans are the shoppers.
Sheba has nice packaging and it has tempted me to look but the sugar was a turn off when I read the label.
Even brands I do feed sometimes have ingredients that I am not always keen on but thankfully it is easy to pick out one or two carrots or peas in the packets that have them.
All brands use marketing, whether it is a cute cartoon Felix or appealing TV advertisements.
The bigger companies have more of an advertising budget and the brands and names become familiar.
Familiar does not mean good.
There are good brands that do not have added fruits or veggies. I know more European ones so will mention, Canagan, Meowing Heads, Leonardo and others, I have bought, all fruit & veggie free as well as from added sugar In the tins and packets I have purchased. I am sure many in the US are the same.
These are wet foods I am referring to.
I am sure there are good cheaper foods as well but the ones I have seen tend to bulk up on plant protein vs animal protein or add sugar.
Maybe Friskies wet in the US is an exception, as I have seen it suggested many times as a cheap but good food.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I disagree, that cheap brands are necessarily equivalent to the more expensive. Exceptions of course.
Whiskas & Felix I know in Europe, have added sugar and are primarily plant protein not animal.
Sheba again in Europe added sugar and heavy on plant protein.
Speaking of appealing to humans, all brands try to - as humans are the shoppers.
Sheba has nice packaging and it has tempted me to look but the sugar was a turn off when I read the label.
Even brands I do feed sometimes have ingredients that I am not always keen on but thankfully it is easy to pick out one or two carrots or peas in the packets that have them.
All brands use marketing, whether it is a cute cartoon Felix or appealing TV advertisements.
The bigger companies have more of an advertising budget and the brands and names become familiar.
Familiar does not mean good.
There are good brands that do not have added fruits or veggies. I know more European ones so will mention, Canagan, Meowing Heads, Leonardo and others, I have bought, all fruit & veggie free as well as from added sugar In the tins and packets I have purchased. I am sure many in the US are the same.
These are wet foods I am referring to.
I am sure there are good cheaper foods as well but the ones I have seen tend to bulk up on plant protein vs animal protein or add sugar.
Maybe Friskies wet in the US is an exception, as I have seen it suggested many times as a cheap but good food.
Must be a European difference. I have not seen sugar added to wet cat food.

Flybynight

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Maybe it will be under caramel or caramel flavoring.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My point wasn’t that junk is the same as boutique or quality. It’s that wet junk a cat wants to eat is better than wet quality a cat doesn’t want to eat and is much better than any dry you can feed.

Flybynight

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh and wheat gluten 😝 that is often added speaking of things cats do not need but are fillers added to wet cat food

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe it will be under caramel or caramel flavoring.
We have “natural flavors.” Cats lick their own bums. So really what is a natural flavor? Most recipes quality or not seem to have something weird in them. You just don’t want the recipe to go sideways in the first four or five ingredients. Dry food recipes break down often in the first two or three. Well, one if you count the glaring lack of moisture. On moisture alone, wet junk will always be better than dry quality.

Flybynight

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My point wasn’t that junk is the same as boutique or quality. It’s that wet junk a cat wants to eat is better than wet quality a cat doesn’t want to eat and is much better than any dry you can feed.
You listed a whole range of foods, Purina, Whiskas, Felix etc that you said were just as good, as the more expensive better looking foods. I would not feed Purina wet or dry. Felix & Whiskas never. So I am not sure that is what you were saying.
I do agree cheap wet is better than dry but there is a world of difference among wet foods. And yes, not all expensive wet foods are perfect but it is not hard to find wet that is better quality, as said without heavy plant proteins and sugars.
Whiskas is basically sugared soy protein...

Flybynight

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Purina has wheat gluten added to their wet foods. Not sure why Purina would be better than Farmina. The plant protein is there just hidden.

Shanal

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is all related to dogs. Cats are not small dogs. You cannot use dog health issues interchangeably with cat health issues. There are very few cat foods that do not supplement taurine specifically because cats cannot make it. Dog food manufacturers may not have been supplementing with taurine before this because dogs can synthesize it from precursor amino acids. Cats cannot.

Many brands that are considered junk or low quality are perfectly fine to feed. They may actually be better than you think precisely because they aren't trying to appeal to the human buying the food. Friskies, Whiskas, Fancy Feast, Sheba and many Purina brands are just as good as the more expensive, more healthy looking foods. Carbs, starches, grains, fruits, veggies, they are all unnecessary and potentially harmful in cats. Find something that is as close to meat, moisture, organs, and supplements. That's what cats need. They don't need kibble or coconut.
There have been reported cases within cats, but-

-in all honesty, it should apply much more to cats, right?

Legumes/potatoes absorb taurine, according to research so far, causing taurine deficiency and ultimately leading to heart failure. Dogs produce a bit of taurine in their body- but cats? They don't produce any at all. And they will also definitely die of heart failure if they have long-lasting taurine deficiency.

It's just rarer in cats because their taurine requirements per day are significantly less than dogs due to size. You don't see it as much in small dogs, either. But the issue still exists.

For instance, Orijen/Acana don't have added taurine at all and believe the taurine from ingredients should be enough- but they have tonnes of legumes that can nullify it. Very dangerous. Farmina have added taurine, but dunno to how much degree it negates the loss. Overall, I'm still really... vary of the entire thing until we get more research on it tbh.