Can anyone identify this skin issue?

flcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, see the attach pic. Six month or so girl, she has been inside since caught her at about six weeks old.

Just noticed this morning this hard, sandpaper like thing near her belly, underside. It is about the size of a quarter. touching it no reaction from her.

I am going to take her to the vet, but first wait till she gets sleepy to see if it is something simple, like matted fur, she is pretty wild when she awake and playful, so easier to do stuff when she get sleepy. But she a super clean cat, and it does not feel like matted hair, especially given she a short hair cat. It is slightly raised above the skin, sandpaper feel to it. It is the same color as her skin, grey.

Wondering in the mean time if anyone had some input. Thank you

Edit - attached pic with circle around the area I talking about.

Edit again - goodness, ringworm is it? I have experience with it, just now occurred to me this might be what it is. My memory escaping at the moment about it, will have to search back about my cats I caught that had it and was treated. Ah, been so long ago!

Attachments

Last edited:

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Well, you beat me to it. I was sitting here wondering if it was ringworm. What made me wonder is that there does not seem to be the hair loss, or maybe not yet, that accompanies ringworm. I can't tell from the picture.....is she losing hair in that spot?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

flcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, no hair loss in that spot.

Edit - I added two more close up pics. I touch it and she does have a reaction to it being touched, though I have not yet seen her touch it herself or it seem to bother her.

Last edited:

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I am not sure it is ringworm but could be wrong. Will your vet accept a picture, at least to tell you if you need to get her in?

flcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I will take to the vet to see, plus have another cat that needs hyperthyroidism test anyway.

Bit of a nervous wreck about this skin thing, hoping it is something very simple.

flcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, just back from the vet. Ringworm, lol.

I have experience with ringworm (was even giving advice about it to a poster here!), but this one threw me off because I have had no case of it for years, and the way it was was different than what I was use to treating, plus my house has been cleaned, and cleaned again like in a detailed, crazy way due to my Panleuk back in August. I know it can survive in the environment, but no telling where she picked it up from.

flcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am actually happy it is ringworm, because all sorts of worse possibilities were running through my head.