Can anyone explain to me what this behaviour between my two cats shows?

Estherino

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! This is my first post, so apologies if I’m doing this wrong!
So, two weeks ago we got an eleven week old kitten named Gizmet, and my five year old cat Charlie has not been too happy about it. He often went outside when he saw her, and acted aloof, which was sad but was what we were expecting. Recently though, he’s been much better, and has settled back into normal behaviour - though he still glares and hisses at Gizmet when she gets close to him (she seems to like following him around, much to his annoyance).
But surprisingly, today they were lying down and facing each other on the landing - really close! Charlie wasn’t hissing, which was surprising, and at one point he even got closer to her! He was also lying on his side, which was a bit worrying - since I’ve heard that’s often a sign of submission? He always rolls over when he sees me, but is very dominant when it comes to other cats. Does this mean he’s starting to accept her, or has he become afraid and is now the submissive one? Shortly after, Charlie got up and went into another room, and did a little meow - does that mean anything?
I have a small video of them - if anyone could help me understand what’s going on I would be supremely grateful! Thank you! :)

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It looks and sounds to me like he is getting use to her. The laying on his side is showing trust as well as showing he is not a threat. It does take cats time to accept new cats, normally at least a couple weeks (sometimes longer but rarely less then 2 week). If he was afraid he would be running and hiding. I don't know for sure but normally when my cats do little meows away from the other cats they seem to want attention and reassurance they are still loved.

They are kind of like kids, when you bring a second one home you need to make sure the first doesn't feel like they have been replaced. If he has been spending more time outside I'm guessing he has also been getting less attention from you then he did before simply because he is leaving when the kitten is around. You may need to make an effort to give him some extra love, maybe a private playtime or cuddle time. With one of my cats, (she is the smallest and very attached to me) I sometimes will go in the bedroom with her just the two of us for maybe 5-10 minutes so she can have some one on one time with me without the other cats butting in. That helps to reassure her that I still love her and just because I have other cats she has not been forgotten.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Estherino

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank goodness, I’m so relieved to hear that - I knew it wouldn’t be an instant process, but it was breaking my heart seeing Charlie so down. It’s really good to hear that he’s starting to adjust. He still hisses at her when she gets too close, but then he goes straight back to what he was doing previously instead of leaving, which is really good, and hopefully the hissing will fade in time too.

And yes, I was worrying that he might’ve been feeling replaced, but it was simply impossible to interact with him at first as he’d leave the house as soon as he smelled her and I didn’t want to force him to stay. I even made sure to completely ignore the kitten if Charlie was present and talk to him a lot and give him treats, but it was really hard to spend time with him as he kept leaving before I had the chance… I kept trying though, and I think it’s working, as he’s really settled down recently and has started coming upstairs again and cuddling up to me and playing, and I’m genuinely ecstatic! Along with that, hearing that he’s starting to trust and accept her is absolutely amazing and feels like such a weight off my shoulders.

And now that you mention it, him meowing for attention makes absolute sense! I would always go and check on him if I heard it, but now if he does it again, I’ll make sure I dash straight over there and shower him with as much affection as possible before he even has time to finish his meow! :lol: Thank you so much!!

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When a cat lays on its back with its feet tucked in it is being submissive.

When a cat lays on its side it means, “Just chillin’.”

If one cat approaches another and lays on its side it means, “Hey, how ya’ doin’?”

:)

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is a cat that is chilling, not stressed. Hopefully, you are getting to or already at the point where he will only be unhappy if the kitten is actively bugging him. And maybe there is still hope for friendship.

Edit: I swear I used the word "chilling" without seeing Caspers Human's post!

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Edit: I swear I used the word "chilling" without seeing Caspers Human's post!
Come on! :D That's cat lingo! Everybody knows that! ;)

I just had a chance to look at your video. I assume that Charlie is on the left and farther away from the camera. Yes?

Well, he's actually trying to initiate play with the other cat!

Look at his tail. He's swishing his tail, playfully.
Look at his ears. They are up and perky looking, not forward as in "aggro" or not back as in "fight or flight."
Look at his body. He's pretty relaxed but in a playful posture.
Look at his eyes. He's not staring at the other cat. He actually looks away for a moment or two. When a cat looks away, it means, "I'm cool."

Finally, he's actually pawing at the other cat like he's saying, "C'Mon! Let's play!" ;)

Is there a toy laying somewhere, between the two cats? I can't tell. There is a blanket that might be hiding something from view.
If there is something there, that's really good because he's sharing a toy with the other cat!

It looks to me like your two cats are getting along, just fine! :)

BTW: In my opinion, the best thing to do, right now, is nothing.
Whenever the two cats are together or even in proximity, the best thing to do is to leave them to their own devices.
They are in the middle of negotiating their relationship, right now, and any interruptions are likely to interrupt those negotiations.

If things keep going this way, I bet they'll be best friends in no time! :D

Last edited: