Can an outdoor cat adapt to indoor?

TeaMatcha

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi!

I've started feeding this stray cat that is always hanging around my block. His ear is not tipped (I think he's not neutered yet).

He followed me into the apartment lift and he entered my house. At first, my mom tried to keep him out by meshing half of the gate to prevent him from coming in but he is very determined to come in. He will jumped up high and make his way in.

He came every single day without fail for a few months. Eventually, my mom allows him to come in (she loves him now!). He slept here (he loves sleeping on my bed) eat here and we'll play with him as well. We are keen to adopt him (we even mesh up our windows and bought him a scratching post) and tried to keep him overnight with fresh water, food and toys while we go to sleep.

We've been trying for months but whenever he's done eating or done with sleeping, he will walked to the door and started yowling loudly. He will scratch the door to let us know that he wants to go out.

We tried to ignore his crying and tried to distract him with treats or toys, it doesn't work. He will finish the treats and walk back to the door.

So we figured it out that he seems happier as an outdoor cat. So for now, every single day he will followed us up to our apartment for food and rest and once he started meowing at the door, we will bring him back down to level 1.

Is there anyway for him to get used to indoor? As I can't bear having the thought of what if he get into a fight or accident. I've thought of bringing him to the vet for sterilization but I'm just worried what if he can't cope with staying in while healing.

Age unknown but he seems really young. I've never seen him before till last year. Breed unknown but have long legs, colour black and white, short tail. Might be a Japanese Bobtail. Energy level is super high. He's a zoomies.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

TeaMatcha

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh! And I also forgot to add that there's multiple times whereby he will climbed up the stairs and appeared in front of our house and meow to let us know that he's here. It's so magically that cats are so smart to know which unit and level we stayed at!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Outdoor cats can adapt to living indoors only. It will take time and patience. Here are some TCS threads on the same topic:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Having him neutered would be a huge step towards keeping him indoors. it does take about 60 days for the hormones to completely leave the body. His hormones will keep him in a state to constantly want to go outside to fight for territory or find a female. He has obviously known human company and wants to make you his family.

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Having him neutered is a good idea whether you're going to keep him inside or not. It's better for him overall since he won't be wandering so much in search of females so he'll be less likely to get hit by a car or attacked by another animal, and won't be contributing to Kitten overpopulation.

TeaMatcha

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Having him neutered is a good idea whether you're going to keep him inside or not. It's better for him overall since he won't be wandering so much in search of females so he'll be less likely to get hit by a car or attacked by another animal, and won't be contributing to Kitten overpopulation.
Hi! Thank you for your reply! I'll get him to be neutered if he isn't yet. I'm not too sure if he is. I've attached an image of his backside. Anyone can advise if he's already neutered?

Thank you!

Also, when I went down to find him yesterday, he's not eating breakfast nor lunch. He have no interest in food at all. Like, it's just weird cos he loves food. He doesn't react to CIAO treats as well. After awhile, he started vomitting yellow liquid which I believed is bile. I was so worried so I bought him home while trying to get in touch with SPCA and he slept all day till around 11.30pm. I spoon feed him some purée food and plain water. And the next day, he's fine. He's eating normally. Should I still bring him to a vet for a check-up? Just to make sure everything is going be ok.

Attachments

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's hard to tell without a side view but it looks like he could possibly be neutered.

If he throws up more than a couple times then I'd say take him to the vet. Some Cats will vomit bile if they go too long without eating, but it's also possible he got into something he shouldn't have.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi!

I've started feeding this stray cat that is always hanging around my block. His ear is not tipped (I think he's not neutered yet).

He followed me into the apartment lift and he entered my house. At first, my mom tried to keep him out by meshing half of the gate to prevent him from coming in but he is very determined to come in. He will jumped up high and make his way in.

He came every single day without fail for a few months. Eventually, my mom allows him to come in (she loves him now!). He slept here (he loves sleeping on my bed) eat here and we'll play with him as well. We are keen to adopt him (we even mesh up our windows and bought him a scratching post) and tried to keep him overnight with fresh water, food and toys while we go to sleep.

We've been trying for months but whenever he's done eating or done with sleeping, he will walked to the door and started yowling loudly. He will scratch the door to let us know that he wants to go out.

We tried to ignore his crying and tried to distract him with treats or toys, it doesn't work. He will finish the treats and walk back to the door.

So we figured it out that he seems happier as an outdoor cat. So for now, every single day he will followed us up to our apartment for food and rest and once he started meowing at the door, we will bring him back down to level 1.

Is there anyway for him to get used to indoor? As I can't bear having the thought of what if he get into a fight or accident. I've thought of bringing him to the vet for sterilization but I'm just worried what if he can't cope with staying in while healing.

Age unknown but he seems really young. I've never seen him before till last year. Breed unknown but have long legs, colour black and white, short tail. Might be a Japanese Bobtail. Energy level is super high. He's a zoomies.
Absolutely possible! It is normal to be scared. Some take a few days,some longer. She is now afraid of the outdoors. Just be sure to make your house fun for her. Cat trees,pop up cubes,and toys. If she is young,go cat catcher or purrfect leather bouncer. Not da bird. Lots of little chew toys. If she's older da bird unless she was born outside

Attachments

TeaMatcha

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's hard to tell without a side view but it looks like he could possibly be neutered.

If he throws up more than a couple times then I'd say take him to the vet. Some Cats will vomit bile if they go too long without eating, but it's also possible he got into something he shouldn't have.
Hi! He started eating the next day since the last time I posted.

But today, I bought him to the vet as his face had a fresh wound on it. And his right hind legs have some red stains (just want to make sure it isn't blood).

Vet said that he's in healthy health and have healthy teeth as well. Vet said that from the look of it, he's neutered.

Anyway, vet gave him a jab of antiinflammatory for his wound and asked me if I wanted to give vaccine jab for the cat as well. I agreed to it cos why not if the vaccine can protect him?

But, I kinda of regretted it. When he came back, he seems ok. Eating fine as well. He went straight to sleep. After a few hours, he woke up and when we opened the door, he ran straight down to level 1. I chased after him as the vet said to monitor him for today hence I've plans to keep him indoor for today no matter what.

He went to his usual place to poop and I realized his poop is mushy. I texted the vet clinic and they advised me to keep him indoor for 1-3 days and monitor him for vaccine reactions. And that if the diarrhea persist for more than 4-5 times from now till morning, I'll need to bring him to 24/7 vet for treatment.

I'm a little confuse as I've never take care of a pet before this. I didn't expect that vaccination will caused him such discomfort. If I can rewind the time, I'll just go with the antiinflammatory jab instead of taking that and vaccine.

Anyway, I bought him back up and even when he meow loudly at the gate, I tried to ignore and if I couldn't, I'll put him on harness and leash and brought him down for a walk. When I bought him back from a walk, he ran off again! Back to level 1 and once again I chased after him. He went to poop/pee twice and I'm worried. But I don't want to cause him more stress by bringing him home. So he's at downstairs now. I'm gonna check on him again later.

I'm just regretting it. Perhaps I'm harming him rather than protecting him. It's 11pm in my country and I've been busy with this since 9am in the morning. I'm so tired mentally. But I can't stop worrying.

Natalusky29

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi!

Why don’t you try to walk him on a leash once you take him to the vet?
You could start spending most of the day out with him and slowly getting him used to your house (if you clicker trained him it could be really easily to get him adapted) if you are not into clicker training you can just give him treats every time you both get home
In case this was not enough you can play with him outdoors (with or without leash and a harness) so that we you go back home he is tired enough to just stay home

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi! He started eating the next day since the last time I posted.

But today, I bought him to the vet as his face had a fresh wound on it. And his right hind legs have some red stains (just want to make sure it isn't blood).

Vet said that he's in healthy health and have healthy teeth as well. Vet said that from the look of it, he's neutered.

Anyway, vet gave him a jab of antiinflammatory for his wound and asked me if I wanted to give vaccine jab for the cat as well. I agreed to it cos why not if the vaccine can protect him?

But, I kinda of regretted it. When he came back, he seems ok. Eating fine as well. He went straight to sleep. After a few hours, he woke up and when we opened the door, he ran straight down to level 1. I chased after him as the vet said to monitor him for today hence I've plans to keep him indoor for today no matter what.

He went to his usual place to poop and I realized his poop is mushy. I texted the vet clinic and they advised me to keep him indoor for 1-3 days and monitor him for vaccine reactions. And that if the diarrhea persist for more than 4-5 times from now till morning, I'll need to bring him to 24/7 vet for treatment.

I'm a little confuse as I've never take care of a pet before this. I didn't expect that vaccination will caused him such discomfort. If I can rewind the time, I'll just go with the antiinflammatory jab instead of taking that and vaccine.

Anyway, I bought him back up and even when he meow loudly at the gate, I tried to ignore and if I couldn't, I'll put him on harness and leash and brought him down for a walk. When I bought him back from a walk, he ran off again! Back to level 1 and once again I chased after him. He went to poop/pee twice and I'm worried. But I don't want to cause him more stress by bringing him home. So he's at downstairs now. I'm gonna check on him again later.

I'm just regretting it. Perhaps I'm harming him rather than protecting him. It's 11pm in my country and I've been busy with this since 9am in the morning. I'm so tired mentally. But I can't stop worrying.
It's not uncommon for anyone, human or animal, to have a reaction to a vaccine but it usually clears up within a couple days. If it goes on for much longer than 2-3 days though call your vet and see what they think.