Can An Adult Cat Eat Kitten Food?

scraggles

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Can an adult cat eat kitten food or is it too fatty/does he get all the nutrients needed etc.?

My cat has decided he will only eat fish flavoured food - which is a decision that worries me a bit and I'm not too happy about it. I feed him dry food (feeding wet is another story) but I do only feed him the healthiest, grain free etc.. None of the food I feed him contains tuna as it happens (I've read this is the most addictive fish?) but I'm still worried about feeding too much fish.

I've been looking around for an answer. I want to slowly get him back to eating meats. However, all the dry food flavours I can find so far are either just meat or just fish - bar a kitten food I've seen that is salmon and turkey.

I've attached a photo.

IMAG1539.jpg

Would it be O.K. to feed him this?
And if he decides to like it, is it O.K. to feed it for an extended period of time?

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Absolutely. Foods formulated for kittens are higher in some nutrients but are still suitable for adults. Just be careful of the calories. Kitten foods are sometimes higher in calories because the little buggers tend to burn a lot of calories.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, looks like a premium food for any cat. Like mschauer noted, watch the calories. I think the drawback might be that Scraggles could only have 1/8th or 1/4 cup of food per day (depending on the calorie count per cup) and think he's hungry all the time.

Do try to keep getting him over to wet food. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

scraggles

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Excellent! – thank-you both so much! – I’ll give that food a try so.

D’you know, it might not be a bad thing that it has more calories/nutrients. Scraggles lost his appetite a while back and it never fully came back. He’s eating now, which is such a massive relief – but it’s just not as enthusiastically as he once did. He eats his food at a much slower pace and also leaves food in his bowl which he never did before. So the added intake might work out in some ways.

I’m definitely going to keep trying with the wet food! It got put on the back burner when Scraggles was sick as I was just feeding him what he’d eat – but a change to wet is still definitely on the cards. I’ve actually recently been feeding him bits of raw meat in addition to his dry and he’s not completely averse to it. I’m vegetarian so I don’t naturally find myself in the butchers or meat sections of supermarkets – so I’m not fully yet in the habit of buying him meat as regularly as I should be – but I do want my little fusspot to be healthy – as much as a pain in the face he can be at times..!

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, yes. I remember the trouble he had with appetite recently. Feed kitty all he wants of the kitten food! :thumbsup: