Can a Squirrel Contaminate a Litter Box?

spac

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sorry, I wasn't sure where to ask this.

Sunday night we had a squirrel somehow get into the house and ended up trapping it in the bathroom shortly after. We put a humane trap in there and left it overnight. We caught and released the squirrel Monday morning.

We have one litter box in that bathroom and did not have time to cover it up when the squirrel went into the bathroom. We don't know how long the squirrel was actually loose in the bathroom before it entered the trap. My cats are all indoor only cats. Do I NEED to empty and replace the litter out of the litter box, or can it safely be used? I don't know what diseases a squirrel carries, if it eliminated in the litter box, or if it was in it at all. With the increase in litter cost, I don't want to have to replace it unless necessary.

We're currently disinfecting the floors, bathtub, toilet, and sink. Just not sure what to to with the litter box. Thanks.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I would clean out the litter box just to be on the safe side. Squirrels almost always carry fleas, so besides other 'diseases', they could have deposited fleas/flea eggs in that box.