Can a recently neutered male mate?

claudia cunha

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello,
I have 2 Scottish Straight cats (male and female). They had a litter on 2 january and all the kittens are being weaned right now.
Kittens are eating solid food, so they take small milk from the mother now.
Our male cat was neutered on 5 february and the female was about to be spayed soon.
Yesturday she came in to heat, and they have been mating since then.
As I told, he was neutered 3 weeks ago, so my question is if he still can get her pregnant?

GemsGem

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hello,
I have 2 Scottish Straight cats (male and female). They had a litter on 2 january and all the kittens are being weaned right now.
Kittens are eating solid food, so they take small milk from the mother now.
Our male cat was neutered on 5 february and the female was about to be spayed soon.
Yesturday she came in to heat, and they have been mating since then.
As I told, he was neutered 3 weeks ago, so my question is if he still can get her pregnant?

Oh yes he can get her pregnant ! :nod: :lol3:

Up to 3 months after neutering they can still get a female pregnant. :D

Most vets say they are fertile for about 6-8 weeks after neutering. Just the odd few up to 12 weeks ;)

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

claudia cunha

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh yes he can get her pregnant ! :nod: :lol3:

Up to 3 months after neutering they can still get a female pregnant. :D

Most vets say they are fertile for about 6-8 weeks after neutering. Just the odd few up to 12 weeks ;)
Thanks for your answer GemsGem!
The vet did not explaind this could happen, so we were waiting for a couple of weeks to get all the kittens in their new homes, and then get her spayed.
If she is having another litter now we have to take the best care of her, althought she has been eating baby canned and dry food, as well as vitamins.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is some variation as to how long the sperm may lurk around after castration. Technically none should survive longer than 2 weeks but there have been odd cases of much longer. So there's some chance he's still fertile, but also a fair chance he's shooting blanks. Since he still has the hormones in his body he will still respond when she's in heat whether he's still fertile or not. The act of mating brings the female out of heat and may cause a false pregnancy if he's infertile. So it might be hard to determine if she's really pregnant or having a false pregnancy.

If it doesn't bother you to terminate an early cat pregnancy you could go ahead with the spay. If done soon it will be no riskier than a normal spay.

Last edited:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
There is some variation as to how long the sperm may lurk around after castration. Technically none should survive longer than 2 weeks but there have been odd cases of much longer. So there's some chance he's still fertile, but also a fair chance he's shooting blanks. Since he still has the hormones in his body he will still respond when she's in heat whether he's still fertile or not. The act of mating brings the female out of heat and may cause a false pregnancy if he's infertile. So it might be hard to determine if she's really pregnant or having a false pregnancy.

If it doesn't bother you to terminate an early cat pregnancy you could go ahead with the spay. If done soon it will be no riskier than a normal spay.
Yes, especielly if you had already planned to spay her.

But if you planned to be a breeder, I would understand you want to carry on, even it it isnt healthy to have two litter so tightly.

But as I understand it, you are ending this your breeding plans, him is already neutered and she is planned for spaying.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

claudia cunha

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for your answers,
It is not an easy decision to make but I guess we will wait to see if she is pregnant or not.
All our kittens have been sold before 3 weeks old and We have a waiting list of possible new owners, so I guess we will wait and see if she is pregnant or not.

bikerblossom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes i would say defo. I just had the same problem ( vet messed up a bit too though)
Hope every thing works out though.