Can a purebred Siamese have white mitted feet?

dauntingfire

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hmmm, I think it's considered a fault in the show ring. White toes and/or feet shouldn't be seen BUT I am not sure if that means it's not a purebred cat or not. I think it's a sign of a different bloodline that doesn't carry points but thats just a guess.

Edited to add: I keep finding breeders who breed Snowshoe Siamese which I think is a class resulting from an Oriental x Siamese cross.

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It is entirely possible to have a Siamese display white toes or mitted feet. It isn't desirable in the show ring, but there are many of the older bloodlines which carry the gene responsible for it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
OK. Well, she was surrendered to the local HS with her two babies....when she has babies she's aggressive. Well, yeah, her two babies....the lady breeds purebred Siamese cats. The babies are black & white....so we have a hard time believe momma is a purebred Meezer!

This is a pic of momma:

ETA: I've labeled her as a Siamese X...not sure what else I can do there on Petfinder!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
ahhh that actually looks like a snowshoe possibley

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That is most definitely not a Snowshow -- this is a Snowshoe:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snowshoe_(cat)

As you can see from the photos on that link's page, the Snowshoe has very distinct coloring on the head, face and body that is decidedly different from a Siamese.

It is the white spotting factor gene that causes the mitted feet or white toes in Siamese.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Snowshoes look like a short haired bicolor Ragdoll (basically a tuxedo pattern), except the chin should be dark.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They "might". The Snowshoe cat is a purebred (siamese crossed with bicolor orignially). Is that all the white on the cat - just the feet?

More then likely there's a mix somewhere along the lines. But the picture does look like there's white on the chest. If so, then I agree it would be more of a shorthair ragdoll. If a Siamese was crossed with a bicolor Ragdoll you would get short coated pointed bicolor mixes. Maybe the lady had both breeds and crossed them (by accident or on purpose).

kitytize

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

They "might". The Snowshoe cat is a purebred (siamese crossed with bicolor orignially). Is that all the white on the cat - just the feet?

More then likely there's a mix somewhere along the lines. But the picture does look like there's white on the chest. If so, then I agree it would be more of a shorthair ragdoll. If a Siamese was crossed with a bicolor Ragdoll you would get short coated pointed bicolor mixes. Maybe the lady had both breeds and crossed them (by accident or on purpose).
I have to agree with GoldeKitty on this one. The cat does look like a mix because the white is not only on the feet but also the chest. I do see how it's facial structure resembles a Siamese though. It does look like it has purebred in it's line. Calling it a Siamese mix seems appropriate in this case.

celestialrags

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

OK. Well, she was surrendered to the local HS with her two babies....when she has babies she's aggressive. Well, yeah, her two babies....the lady breeds purebred Siamese cats. The babies are black & white....so we have a hard time believe momma is a purebred Meezer!

This is a pic of momma:

ETA: I've labeled her as a Siamese X...not sure what else I can do there on Petfinder!
She most likely isn't pure bred, but even if she was the babies would ONLY be pointed/blue eyed if the male she bred with was pointed/blue eyed or carrying the pointed gene. So even if she was pure and papered she would still deliver kittens that weren't pointed if the father wasn't (or wasn't carrying the gene)

I had a lady call me for stud service on my male, she know some one who got a kitten. I told her to bring vet records and papers on the cat. When I asked for them she said she wasn't given papers
So I wouldn't even let her bring the cat in LOL! When I looked at her cat it looked just like her! I told her if she bought her as a ragdoll she was lied to. She finally admitted she was a siamese ragdoll mix. So mabey that is what that kitty is. That is what I would call her. I would call the kittens Solid siamese ragdoll mixes.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think I'm gonna call the kittens DSH-Black & white....here are their pics.

The first kitten was most uncooperative for pics!

And this boy, Siamese/DSH X or Snowshoe/DSH X? (Gotta label them something "pretty" so he stands a chance of being adopted before he goes to a farm)

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Snowshoe X for the later.. and Mom is VERY likely a snowshoe since she threw a bi color:_)

How old is the boy... I have a REALY BIG soft spot for Snowshoes

* think s how far it is to come get someone*

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That last kitty looks very Snowshoe, and boy he's pretty (I know, boys shouldn't be thought of as pretty).

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
While we are on the topic....does this kitty look closest to purebred Meezer? (They said he was) And yes, we've got an abundance of "fake" Siamese kitties!

And what would cause this, genetically?

Both eyes were blue as a kitten when they should've changed, then her one changed later than normal

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
oh my gosh Natalie!!! I want to adopt all of them!! there are so gorgeous!!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just an FYI-We do out of state adoptions, you do have to drive to come get them!
(And we currently have a 2 - for - 1 cat adoption special as we've run out of space for the kitties!)

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Arlyn

Ok Nat, send that odd-eye calico to me now
No no no no no!!!!
I want the odd-eyed calico!!!

The odd eyes happen from the white spotting gene, I believe.

The original cat looks like a Ragdoll DSH cross to me...do other breeds have the very prominent white belly stripe like Ragdolls?