Can a passed on cat show up in a photo?

sabbyjake

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The cat circled is not one of my cats I currently have, my daughters (who are grown) say it looks like a cat we had in the past...April, they think she snuck in when I took the photo...I have never seen April around here b4 or after that pic.
Screenshot_20210630-102756_Gallery.jpg

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I honestly don’t think so, most certainly not as clear as this cat. But it isn’t unusual to see cats that look almost like cats we have had before.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's certainly not the same cat but that doesn't mean your former cat's spirit can't come back to visit you in another cat's body.

Our cat, Casper, is actually "Casper 2.0"

Casper's Girl Human used to have an all white cat that looked just like our current cat and both their names are Casper.
Years ago, when she was in College, Girl Human kept "Casper 1.0" in her apartment until the landlord made her get rid of him.
She was heartbroken and cried for a long time after she had to give her cat away.

Years later, Girl Human asked me if I wanted to get a cat. Of course, I said yes. :)
She searched the internet for adoption websites and, there, she found Casper 2.0. As you can guess, we HAD to get THAT cat. ;)
We signed up for the adoption, went through the interview process and, finally, ended up driving almost 100 miles to get our new cat.

As soon as we saw Casper 2.0, Girl Human just KNEW that cat was for her.

We bought all the necessary cat items... food, litter box, carrier and cat toys, etc.... then we packed Casper up and drove him home.

The rest is, pretty much, history. Since we adopted Casper, he hasn't left his Girl Human's side.
He was pretty skittish for several months but, soon, Casper was hopping up on her lap and sleeping with her in bed.

On the first night, I said to Casper, "Your new human needs a kitty to take care of her so I'll make you a deal. If you take care of her, I'll make sure you have a warm bed, all the food you need, all the catnip you want and all the toys you can play with."

Casper kept up his end of the bargain and I have kept mine, even though I would have done it anyway.

The original Casper would have long-since passed on but both of us are convinced that our current Casper is the spirit of the first Casper that came back to her.

I don't know if your "mystery cat" is actually the spirit of your original that came back to you. Only YOU can decide whether it's true.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sabbyjake

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just think it wierd cause I know how my cats react to stray cats or cats that have been gone & came back, they are too calm.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That cat looks like he belongs there... The others are acting like he isn't new/strange at all, it takes a long time for cats to get comfortable with a newcomer. You're right, they are too calm!

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That cat looks like he belongs there... The others are acting like he isn't new/strange at all, it takes a long time for cats to get comfortable with a newcomer. You're right, they are too calm!
That's what I thought too. They all look so comfortable together. Not even a side eye from any of them.

JulietteTruong

Sassy but sweet calico girl
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The lighting is different on that Cat than the others, even the one directly infront.
Yes, there is something kind of off about the lighting on that cat compared to the rest of the photos. It does seem strange the more I look at it

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The lighting is different on that Cat than the others, even the one directly infront.
Yes, there is something kind of off about the lighting on that cat compared to the rest of the photos. It does seem strange the more I look at it
I'm an expert photographer. I've been shooting pictures since I was about ten years old. I can develop film in my own darkroom, at home, as well as process digital pictures on my computer which I bought mainly for the purpose of photography.

Cameras are funny. They often don't respond the way we think they should. Sometimes, they make images that don't seem to be right but, as they say, the camera doesn't lie.

Take a look at the image. The light isn't even. The left part of the image is darker than the right. If you look closely, the light is coming in from the right side and slightly behind the camera.

The exposure system in a camera can only choose one set of parameters for the entire image. If part of the image is bright and the rest is dark, the computer inside the camera will choose one shutter speed, aperture and focus setting to take the picture with.

The resulting image will have parts that are bright and parts that are dark.

As an example... If you took a picture of your cat sitting in a sunlit window, you would get an image that has a bright rectangle of light surrounding a dark silhouette of the cat. That's because, as I said above, the camera can only select one setting for the whole picture. To make a correct rendering, the camera would have needed to choose one setting for the bright window and one for the shadowy cat.

There are things that a camera can do to compensate for such situations but, in the end, it can only average things out.

That's why we sometimes get crummy pictures when our eyes tell us that it should have been better. Our eyes and brain can make those kinds of compensations when cameras can't.

So, even though the picture looks creepy, there is an explanation for why it happened.

Still... Logical explanations don't always tell us everything about what our senses tell us.

That's why, above, I said that only YOU can decide whether it's your former cat in the picture or not. :)