Can a new kitten mellow out a stand-offish adult cat?

duke816

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure how to put this so it makes sense... but I adopted Smokie back in August as an 8 week old kitten. My boyfriend (who doesn't live with me) has an adult male who has been known to be "stand-offish" to put it nicely. To put it not so nicely, I have scars on my hands and wrists from him! Don't get me wrong, he's had his moments, but overall he's been an only cat most of his life (he's almost 7 now) and is very independent.

Well, enter Smokie. Up until I adopted her, my boyfriend would bring his cat to stay with me each weekend (we live over an hour apart) so he wouldn't be alone. I was a little worried when I got Smokie about how he would react, but after a few weeks, he really came to accept her and now they really are buddies. Not only that, but my bf's cat's whole attitude is seeming to change. He's a lot more tolerant of affection and contact, although still hisses and screams if he's held for too long (30 seconds is too long for him!)

And then... this morning my boyfriend calls to tell me that he woke up this morning to find his kitty sleeping with him on his bed and he also got a "kiss" from his kitty last week. Smokie "kisses" us all the time. On demand. It's kind of funny.

Anyway, after all that information, I am wondering if his kitty's behavior is mellowing out because of being around Smokie? And the kisses... would he have learned that from her?

Here's a photo of the two of them cuddling on my bed. It's literally the only time this behaviour has ever been witnessed between the two of them!

5catsandcountin

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think it is really neat that the kitten mellowed out the older cat..that isn't a common accurrance but he seems very happy with his new friend