Can a kitten have down syndrome??

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

thorsmama

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So its been about 24+hrs. I've increased Navi's(Thors mama) feeding. My friend was only feeding her about 1/2 a cup a day-1cup a day of dry food for her entire life. So she's always got a gravity feeder of adult food, gets a whole can of wet food mixed with 1/2 cup of IAMS proactive health kitten chow for breakfast(and the pig gobbles it). I HAVE noticed that Thors tummy is fatter now. MUCH MUCH MUCH rounder and I mean Roly poly round... I never saw him this round since maybe he was 2wks old possibly 3wks. But I guess it increased her milk production getting extra nomnoms. Of course a huge bowl of water AT ALL TIMES... These kitties want for nothing right now. Thor seems to practically nurse constantly... Minus maybe 2hrs out of the day... Or else he is nursing. And he can tackle poor tiny Navi. Do he's definitely not weak... Haven't seen him poo yet... Or wee... I'm sure he is.. But idk where...

abby robertson

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
he looks alot like my zazzles...my baby is very clumsy..he misjudges his jumps alot..hes faceplanted the scratch post on numerous occassions lol...

thorsmama

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Been a minute since I've been on. Was hospitalized for a week. But I'm home. Thor is doing well. His appearance is changing but he is still on the nip. One thing I HAVE NOTICED is his eyes have gone from that newborn grey to just solid grey same as his fur. So I guess its not changing.

thorsmama

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So earlier today I noticed Thor acting... Different.. Like he used to before mama was brought over. Meowing a lot. Jumping on my chest licking my face"asking" for food I guess.... Squeezed mamas nipples.. Dry... So... Moe my fiance is bringing home wet food again.. Thor is still not willing to touch dry. He about 8-9wks now... He will try for MY food. I gave him a nibble of roast beef to test my theory of does his body tell him dry food isn't what he's supposed to eat... He ate it with gusto. So... Wet food it is... If he wont try food from Frys or WalMart we will have to go more expensive. But till then he will have to try..

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am glad he is doing well, he looks very handsome and to me he looks normal, no obvious birth defects visible in the pictures. I have two special kitties, named Jessie and Fudge, they are sisters and would always get confused easily, frighten easily and also go around in circles or tilt their heads, been that way since they were born, they've done very well. Might try picking up some Fancy Feast Kitten food in Turkey flavor, its sold at walmart, I've not had a cat turn it down, if not, then Gerber Baby Food in Turkey,please double check to be sure it doesn't contain onion or garlic powder as its toxic to kitties. Please keep us posted on how he does.

Last edited:

thorsmama

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am glad he is doing well, he looks very handsome and to me he looks normal, no obvious birth defects visible in the pictures. I have two special kitties, named Jessie and Fudge, they are sisters and would always get confused easily, frighten easily and also go around in circles or tilt their heads, been that way since they were born, they've done very well. Might try picking up some Fancy Feast Kitten food in Turkey flavor, its sold at walmart, I've not had a cat turn it down, if not, then Gerber Baby Food in Turkey,please double check to be sure it doesn't contain onion or garlic powder as its toxic to kitties. Please keep us posted on how he does.
Well figured out he has trouble with BOWLS... His depth perception is horrible apparently. Gets thrown off with the whole thing... Kept meowing at the food and circling the canned food hungrily pawing it licking it off his paw. So I grabbed a saucer and dumped it on it and... NOMNOMNOMNOM... That is the exact sound he made the entire time.... No joke... Now I wonder if he can even drink water... Or if I will have to saucer it... Thank god i stay home all day and notice EVERYTHING...

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Well figured out he has trouble with BOWLS... His depth perception is horrible apparently. Gets thrown off with the whole thing... Kept meowing at the food and circling the canned food hungrily pawing it licking it off his paw. So I grabbed a saucer and dumped it on it and... NOMNOMNOMNOM... That is the exact sound he made the entire time.... No joke... Now I wonder if he can even drink water... Or if I will have to saucer it... Thank god i stay home all day and notice EVERYTHING...
I've noticed the same thing with adult feral cats who've never eaten off of a bowl before. They're just not sure what a bowl is, can smell the food but don't want to risk getting their face too close to a new, strange object. Try feeding him of something flat. a sheet of grease proof paper for the wet food and a flat plate or saucer for the water until he gets used to eating that way

thorsmama

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've noticed the same thing with adult feral cats who've never eaten off of a bowl before. They're just not sure what a bowl is, can smell the food but don't want to risk getting their face too close to a new, strange object. Try feeding him of something flat. a sheet of grease proof paper for the wet food and a flat plate or saucer for the water until he gets used to eating that way
he ate for the second time today. Has a healthy appetite. But takes a few minutes of meowing at the food and circling it before actually biting it. We are working on it. I think we are going to end up keeping wet food buy mixing it with 1/2 dry 1/2 wet. But going grain free. I have to pin mama back when I feed him because well she's a pig. He can down almost a whole can. But we are trying to figure out a way to incorporate the dry somehow. But not 100%. Also I'm still thrown off by his complete grey. All the other kittens had different eyes. His sister had emerald green his brother had yellow and blue. Now his have just stayed GREY... Hey completely solid GREY fur and eyes. Just odd. Pretty but odd.

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am glad he is eating. Could he possibly be blind? Try shining a flashlight on the floor and see if he notices it. Also try to see if his eyes shrink when he gets in a bright room, please do not shine any light in his eyes.

thorsmama

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
H
I am glad he is eating. Could he possibly be blind? Try shining a flashlight on the floor and see if he notices it. Also try to see if his eyes shrink when he gets in a bright room, please do not shine any light in his eyes.
He has chased a ribbon before. He chases his mama. He attacks us daily like a mini ninja. I cant see how he could be blind. He climbs the bed with ease and its a tall king size. Jumps off I with ease as well. Maybe he doesn't have perfect 20/20. But he does have vision. I am not 100% willing to say. But willing to say he has vision.

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay, that is good. Cats are able to get along very well without vision or limited vision. Did you try any of the tests I recommended earlier? Because he could possibly hear you or feel the ribbon with his whiskers when he plays. I have a cat that was born deaf but I never knew until I fired up my vaccuum and when all other kitties left, he would want to run and play with the light on it. He was about 6 months old when I found out. I've had him since he was born. Cats seem to adapt very well. The reason I am wondering is because his eyes are gray.

thorsmama

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay, that is good. Cats are able to get along very well without vision or limited vision. Did you try any of the tests I recommended earlier? Because he could possibly hear you or feel the ribbon with his whiskers when he plays. I have a cat that was born deaf but I never knew until I fired up my vaccuum and when all other kitties left, he would want to run and play with the light on it. He was about 6 months old when I found out. I've had him since he was born. Cats seem to adapt very well. The reason I am wondering is because his eyes are gray.
no I haven't done the light test yet. But I've watched him "hunt" his mama from across the room and butt wiggle. So I would imagine he has sight of some form. And when I had the ribbon I had dragged it relatively far but did have to bring it closer to show him where it was and tap a couple times to show where I was moving it then he would shoot of like a rocket.

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please keep us posted on how he does. He is a cute little guy.

thorsmama

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I
Please keep us posted on how he does. He is a cute little guy.
I shall. He seems to be doing better with the feedings. Enjoys the chunky or flaked ones and not so much the pate ones. So mama gets the pate and he gets the other ones.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
OK, how did I miss this super cute gray kit for so long?!   I'm in love with Thor, he sounds like a real spirited little guy, and his butt wiggles and mini ninja jumps are enough to have my heart pounding just like it did when I'd go see Mouse when he was a tiddler (not that he was ever really a tiddler, he was a chub).   It could just be that Thor was a little delayed in his early growth, maybe with being the smallest and not getting as much food as his siblings, or it could be he has other challenges which you will find as he grows, but he is certainly having a good go at growing up and making the most of his life with you.  How lucky he is that you met his mom and him and decided he should be with people who love and take good care of him (and his mom).   Is he growing and putting on weight nicely now?

It is interesting that his eyes are staying gray, how lovely.  When Mouse's eyes are fully dilated in low light and you don't see the green ring his eyes are amazing, like dark pebbles in his dark gray fur (it looks more like gun metal gray than silver in low light).  I reckon Thor is going to be one handsome young cat as he grows out of his kitten fluff.  Watch his eyes though and see how they react to light, and also his noticing torch light / a light shone at a wall or floor.  I hope he is fine but it is amazing what a cat can do without sight or very low sight.  Both my previous cats went blind as they aged and I didn't have a clue with the first one.  She was fit as anything and still running and jumping about the place like she was a kitten, dive bombing her sister, hunting toys and being a general pest but she must have been doing it all from memory, scent, sound and touch.   First I knew was her walking in to a lit dinner candle one night when she was playing and I thought it was weird she hadn't noticed it, but the next day she got sick.   When I took her to her regular vet he said she was completely blind but it would have happened slowly for her so she would have got used to it.   If a cat has never had sight or looses gradually they can act completely like any other pretty much because even a cat's regular sight isn't that great, esp in day light.        

thorsmama

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
OK, how did I miss this super cute gray kit for so long?!   I'm in love with Thor, he sounds like a real spirited little guy, and his butt wiggles and mini ninja jumps are enough to have my heart pounding just like it did when I'd go see Mouse when he was a tiddler (not that he was ever really a tiddler, he was a chub).   It could just be that Thor was a little delayed in his early growth, maybe with being the smallest and not getting as much food as his siblings, or it could be he has other challenges which you will find as he grows, but he is certainly having a good go at growing up and making the most of his life with you.  How lucky he is that you met his mom and him and decided he should be with people who love and take good care of him (and his mom).   Is he growing and putting on weight nicely now?

It is interesting that his eyes are staying gray, how lovely.  When Mouse's eyes are fully dilated in low light and you don't see the green ring his eyes are amazing, like dark pebbles in his dark gray fur (it looks more like gun metal gray than silver in low light).  I reckon Thor is going to be one handsome young cat as he grows out of his kitten fluff.  Watch his eyes though and see how they react to light, and also his noticing torch light / a light shone at a wall or floor.  I hope he is fine but it is amazing what a cat can do without sight or very low sight.  Both my previous cats went blind as they aged and I didn't have a clue with the first one.  She was fit as anything and still running and jumping about the place like she was a kitten, dive bombing her sister, hunting toys and being a general pest but she must have been doing it all from memory, scent, sound and touch.   First I knew was her walking in to a lit dinner candle one night when she was playing and I thought it was weird she hadn't noticed it, but the next day she got sick.   When I took her to her regular vet he said she was completely blind but it would have happened slowly for her so she would have got used to it.   If a cat has never had sight or looses gradually they can act completely like any other pretty much because even a cat's regular sight isn't that great, esp in day light.        
Thanks. Yeah he's a very spirited guy. My friend Kandy had at first picked him out but then decided she didn't want him because he was different. Well different isn't bad to me. And luckily she wanted to get rid of Navi. They seem to be closer than she was with any of the other kittens. But soon as he wakes up I will check out if his eyes dilate and what not else. He feasted now is slumbering with mama.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Feasted and slumbering with mamma is good.  
    Lucky kit.   Bet it looks mega cute too.  I reckon being with his mamma still will do his confidence a pile of good and for cats that is a good thing. 

thorsmama

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Feasted and slumbering with mamma is good.  :heart3:     Lucky kit.   Bet it looks mega cute too.  I reckon being with his mamma still will do his confidence a pile of good and for cats that is a good thing. 
I would hope so. Late bloomers or delayed in different areas I figured just that little extra nutrition from mama and having her there to love on him would do wonders. A mothers love heals better than any doctors medicine. If I know anything from being a mother myself its just love and be patient.