Can a cat live in a dorm room?

ashekitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hello
I am going to college next year and my cat is a certified ESA so she would legally be able to go with me. I’m just worried that she would become depressed in a dorm room, which I am required to stay in my first year. Is a dorm room too small? My other option is not to go to a four year and go to community college instead and stay at home. I am not comfortable living without her.

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think it depends on the cat, how big the dorm room is, how full your day will be, and if you are going to have a room mate(s). When I was going to university I rented a room (about a 10x12ft maybe smaller) in a house, and my cat lived in that room with me. My cat was older (around 8 years old) and was fine alone all day. Also no worry about the others in the house being a bother either since they were older ladies.

I could see issues if I had lived in a house or dorm with other college students though, noise as well as strangers coming and going that might let the cat out or leaving something out the cat could get into. Not an issue if you are living in a private dorm or have a nice room mate(s) though. Also would you be having a full schedule? if so is your cat one that needs a lot of attention everyday? That could be a problem, some cats become destructive if bored.

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My college is pet friendly, and many people have ESA animals, too. I spent my first semester in the dorms with my cat Isabelle. My room was tiny, despite being a double, and I really lucked out that I never was assigned a roommate. There was 2 beds, 2 small dressers, and 2 desks... there was no room for the second desk when I arrived my first day and it had been placed in the closet, LoL... Luckily, the beds could be made to bunk beds and the beds adjusted height to have the dressers stored underneath, but you can get an idea of how small it was. Other rooms in my pet friendly building were slightly bigger, so it depended on the room. (Ironically, the freshman, female dorms that were not pet friendly had HUGE double occupancy rooms, so it really depends on the size of room you get and what your college offers.) Luckily, my room looked out over the main street/walkway students used, so Isabelle enjoyed looking out of the window at people and dogs walking by.

Isabelle did start showing signs of stress at the end of the semester with sometimes pulling her hair out, and increasing enrichment for her helped ease this. Weekly, I rearranged the furniture and cat scratchers, bed locations, and boxes. I also had some collapsible tunnels and square pop-ups that were rotated through and they hardly took up any storage room when not in use because they collapse for storage. She gets a little dry food to supplement her wet, so I would spread the dry food or treats throughout the room for her to have to sniff out and find. I also tried to take her for walks on the leash outside, although the dorm building door was scary and loud, so she started not liking me trying to put her harness on. There were dogs that would be outside my door sometimes, too, and I'd crack the door open and let Isabelle sniff them. (She loves dogs!)

This summer, Isabelle was also in a room tinier then the dorm for about 3 months as we were in on-site summer housing for my summer job. She had to stay in the bedroom and did start getting antsy about half way through, and taking her outside for walks on her leash helped. I did have a roommate for this time in the same bedroom, but my roommate was not interested in interacting with Isabelle unfortunately. Isabelle is super friendly and social, so she enjoys having people around.

For my college, living on campus is mandatory, but exceptions can be made and have to be approved. Normally with a doctor's note saying how important it is. Some students here have been able to be exempt and live off campus due to food sensitivities/allergies (cafeteria meal plan is mandatory if you live on campus and dorms did not have a place to cook) and due to ADHD/ADD for being unable to concentrate to do homework if living in the dorms. If you would like to live off campus and it would help you, an exception could be something you can look into if you have a doctor's support.

It also probably depends on how active you are. I spent time at my classes, work study, cafeteria, and hiking, but the rest of the time in my dorm room because I'm highly introverted and need me time and quiet and I spend a lot of time on homework and studying. If you plan on having a busy life outside of school and hardly being in your dorm room, this may influence your kitties comfort level. Although it would depend also on the cat. Isabelle is over 9 years old and not super active and sleeps a lot. A younger, more active cat may get bored more easily and need more enrichment.

My neigherbor in the dorms did have a younger, more active cat that they had for multiple years while in the dorms. They did have a roommate that enjoyed and interacted with the cat, and they had a larger room than mine. As far as I know, the cat did well being there.

There are ways to make it work and bring your cat, and I'm sure you'll figure it out! :) Also, community college can be a great option to start with and can save a lot of money. I went to community college before transferring to my four year school. We all have our own journey and what is right for us. This will be an exciting transition for you, and hope you enjoy college!

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you go to a CC first it would be best to finish an associates degree before transferring to avoid getting shorted on credits. Many universities are terrible about transfers and will not accept some classes while accepting others, but if you get an associates degree first you won't have to retake anything. You can find horror stories about this all over the place.

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you go to a CC first it would be best to finish an associates degree before transferring to avoid getting shorted on credits. Many universities are terrible about transfers and will not accept some classes while accepting others, but if you get an associates degree first you won't have to retake anything. You can find horror stories about this all over the place.
That's a very good point! If you know the school you want to go to after but decide CC might be a good choice for you, you may be able to keep in contact with them and ask if the classes will transfer. My school was very good about it, but I've heard horror stories about this.

Since I completed an associates, I did not have to do any of the gen eds for my four year school even if I did not take it at CC, like a religion class, fitness classes, and freshman, sophomore, and junior seminar classes. I also checked all the classes that were required for my degree, such as general botany and statistics to make sure they would accept them.

I have heard some four year schools not accepting, for example, a chemistry class because the credits at the CC were 4 and the credits at the 4 year school was 5. The person had to retake them and said it was the same exact class and they did not learn anything new. But, again, all schools are different. I was told my zoology CC class would transfer. It did, but it still showed a requirement for Zoology at my four year. I told them it was the same class, it was just classified as a 200 level class at CC and a 300 level class at my four year school. They made it work for me, so I didn't have to retake the class. But again, my school is very transfer student friendly.

kittenmittens84

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don’t think it’s very fair to the cat in most cases. Sure a cat can live in a dorm room, but most younger cats are very active and need stimulation and room to run/play or they’ll get bored and anxious or depressed. Dorm rooms tend to be pretty small, and you probably don’t have the luxury of being able to put up platforms and cat places on the walls to use vertical space like you could in a small apartment.

Twylasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Some 4 year state schools have transfer agreements with state community colleges for core curriculum credits, and some even have transfer scholarships. If you explore the community college route, I would suggest looking at what your eventual 4 year school does and does not accept. Plus, community college is a good financial option as well. I work at a 4 year school and many of our students start out at community college for that reason.

I would worry about a cat in a dorm, for many of the reasons mentioned above. The school might provide some kind of waiver for living on campus if you have extenuating circumstances.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Personally, I would not take a cat to school.

Even though the dorm rooms are small, a cat could get used to living in a space like that but there's more to it than that.
Your cat is supposed to be for support but as you go to school, she will likely become an encumbrance.

You're going to have to worry about her getting out. You're going to worry about how other people treat her.
There's feeding and cleaning up after her. There's medical bills. After all that, your cat, that you love, could end up being more of a liability than an asset.

When you go to college, especially as a freshman, you're going to need to adjust to living an adult life. You don't need something like your cat adding to your trouble. You're going to have enough trouble, as it is, without her.

I'm all for the idea of having pets for emotional support. Casper provides emotional support for his Girl-Human. He is very good at it.
However the middle word in "Emotional Support Animal" is "Support," not "Dependence."

Your cat is there to support you and to help you grow. You're not supposed to depend on her.

As you move away to college, you are going to experience a lot of growth in your life. Having a cat is a good way to learn responsibility, to learn how to grow in life and get some benefit back from her while you're doing it. There is going to be a time when you will have to move on in life. Your cat is supposed to help you get through those times. You aren't supposed to cling to your cat.

When you take your cat to school with you, what you are doing is clinging to your cat instead of learning to grow. You're taking a step backward.

You aren't planning to go to school until next fall. That's another ten months from now. Almost a whole year.

I suggest that you take this time to learn to not be dependent on your cat and grow in your own life.

I think that taking your cat to school with you would be clinging which will only hold you back.

You've still got 3/4 of a year ahead of you before you have to make this decision.

I think you'll be all right. :)

mekkababble

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Can a cat live in a dorm room? Yes

Should a cat live in a dorm room? I'd say probably not.

Unpopular opinion time:

Animals don't belong on college campuses. College, especially the first year, is a hyper-stressful time. At least for me it was my first time living away from home, you'll have a new social life to adjust to, a heavy financial burden, and pressure to succeed in your classes. A cat would help with the first problem (a comfort for when you're homesick, anxious, or depressed) but a hindrance to the other three.

Consider that college is the time you'll likely meet your lifelong friends- which is something you're less likely to do if you're hanging out with a cat that provides constant company. Or a cat you're worrying about every time you go out because she'll need help adjusting too.

What's your plan if the cat needs to get to the vet? Will you have a car (to my knowledge most colleges don't allow freshmen to keep cars on campus)? Will you be close to home so your parents could pick her up if she's ill? Who's going to cover the bills?

Does the college have an onsite pet store or how will you get her food?

Even at their cheapest, cats cost money (I budget $60-$70/month for food and litter alone) and are an extra chore that is going to take away from you studying and socializing. Will you have the financial support you need to cover that?

A litter box in the same room you eat, sleep, study, have friends over (and possibly a roommate)? Just ew.

What if someone on your floor has a pet allergy? Pet dander and hair travels through vent systems.

As Caspers Human Caspers Human mentioned your cat could end up as a hindrance. Some people have ESAs for comfort, love, and support that can grow into a reliance and inability to function without the animal.

My recommendations are the following at this stage:

1. Get your feet wet at college the first year- live at home with the cat and take over full financial responsibility for her (if you haven't already) to get used to juggling your classes, getting into a routine, taking care of her, living on a college budget, and making friends before the extra stress of moving out.
2. Jump right in- live in your dorm for the first year and work at getting support from your peers (who will all be in the exact situation you are- missing their pets, wanting new friends, and learning how to be independent from their families). See how you fare without your cat in the day to day and visit her often. You might be surprised what other coping strategies you'll discover and make some lifelong friends at the same time
3. If all else fails- try living without your cat on campus for a semester and switch up your living situation if you have to. In this case, make sure you've fully thought out the full ramifications of taking over financial and care duties for your animal.

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just to add, that having my cat with me has made a huge difference. Many members here seem against bringing the cat, and depending on your maturity level could be valid. But everyone matures differently. I was keeping gerbils and fish since junior high and used my allowance and jobs to pay for all of my supplies by myself. When I took in Isabelle in, I paid for all her expenses. When we both had expensive medical tests and treatments, I found ways to cut back on expenses and make it work. Knowing I was going back to school, I prepared by putting money aside to pay for her expenses for the next few years. The fact that ashekitty is thinking ahead and already planning almost a year in advance, shows a higher maturity level than other high school students.

I am an older student who has had years of budgeting with car insurance, car payments, medical expenses, and cat expenses. Although, moving very far away for my four year school was the first time I was on my own. I did not bring my car with me my first semester to save money since I was living on campus. I ordered all my pet supplies online and they were delivered to the campus post office. Luckily, I did not need to take Isabelle to the vet. If I did, I would have paid someone to drive me there. It is important to note that many people at my school are extremely unreliable, so this may have proved difficult.

On that note, my cat has been such a big support because it is hard for me to make genuine connections with people. It takes me a while to open up to people and feel comfortable. As a transfer student, I arrived with all the freshman a few days before the other students and jumped around to meet many, many people. I did find a couple people who were kool. Although, they also struggle with depression and anxiety, so sometimes our plans fell through because they needed to work on self-care. In part I was lucky they didn't want to hang everyday because that would be exhausting for me, but it was a bummer when I did want to hang out and plans fell through. My self-care also means I'm in bed by 9 and winding down without using technology by 7 pm. Most clubs did not start until 7 pm or later, and my friends often asked me over for movie nights, which I declined for self-care reasons as a strict sleep schedule is important for my mental and physical health.

When my second semester came by, I did make two really good friends who I met the first semester, but it took me a while to get close to them. At the end of my first year, my freshman friends decided they needed to be back home closer to their families and are pursuing CC. My two really good friends graduated and are no longer here. I spent this semester and last semester trying to make new friends.

Some people just aren't a good fit because I am looking for mutual friendships and people who are interested and ask about me just like I do with them, and do not just talk about themselves. The people who are a good fit, have made plans only to cancel or never show up... multiple times. It has left me completely frustrated with people, and I am so thankful to have my cats with me. I know they will always be there for me when stupid humans are not.

I have kept myself as busy as possible this semester with 16 credits knowing it takes me a while to make new, quality friends. I've also been volunteering and attending new activities offered, like meditation and exercise classes. But if I didn't have my cats, I would feel much more alone and have a harder time dealing with it and take longer to bounce back.

Not everyone has my experience, and my age difference, maturity, etc. may influence my struggle despite looking college age. Having my cat has been a huge blessing and comfort to me. It made me frustrated that everyone was telling ashekitty that she needs to be strong and not take her cat. You can be strong and have coping skills, but having a pet can be so important to so many people. If I didn't have my cat, it would not have helped me make friends easier or find other ways to cope. I was already utilizing my resources with my cat being there, she just brought added comfort. If I didn't have my cat, I would have spent the same amount of time or more alone as I recharge by not being around people. Having my cat meant that in those moments when I felt alone or that I didn't have anyone, my cat was there for me. I knew I at least had someone when no one else was there for me.

Everyone is different and has different experiences and matures differently. Only ashekitty can decide what is best for them. If she decides it is important to take her cat, she will figure it out and make it work. If she decides she wants to try starting college without her pet, that's okay, too.

SpecterOhPossum

spec's pet human
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The notion that cats can't thrive in a small place is simply idiotic and hilarious to me; personally. :lol: Some people don't have much of an imagination or open mind I suppose. :beerchug:

My cat was born feral, had full house range; and now lives in my bedroom on a schedule and routine; content and healthy.
Twice a day, she has about an hour or more of exercise; playtime, and an outdoor walk or two depending on the weather. My room is catered to her. Here are the most common stress signs in cats:
  • Inappropriate elimination.
  • Inappropriate scratching.
  • Diarrhea.
  • Hiding or extra clinginess.
  • Decreased appetite.
  • Over-grooming, sometimes to the point of creating bald spots, often focusing on the legs or belly.
....That specter - despite living in a small space (which is apparently abusive!) has never displayed.
She's had funks and colds that affect her appetite; and had diarrhea once when she stole my eggs; another time where I gave her too much egg yolk in her food. She's never missed the box; dunno what "inappropriate scratching" entails..? My guess is people don't know how to set up scratchers. lol. Doesn't hide unless we're playing and she's stalking; or the vacuum is out. not clingy, doesn't over groom. Doesn't pace, doesn't do anything of that nature. She's been on this routine and in my bedroom (albite we moved, so different bedrooms) for a year. Yet somehow... She behaves; functions, and has better health & habits than most every cat I've met in my life. 🤔 I'd argue that a room for regular dwelling might even be healthier as - provided you're .. Competent - issues like
  1. eating toxic things (onions, garlic, rat poison, items with cleaning spray on them, etc), drinking toxic fluids, and overall ingesting harmful items won't happen. Breathing in chemicals is less likely. (hairspray, etc. provided, again, you're not a beetle.)
  2. you control the environment, less likely to be stung by a harmful insect, less likely to be exposed to sharp items; or blunt items to fall onto / off of / get caught on / hurt themselves on.
  3. Less stress. Duh. Provided you're not causing said stress.

lol! Now, the debate on whether you should take a cat is beyond me. I don't care, I don't know. But as for small spaces; I can comment that any age of cat can live and thrive in a small space.
..It all comes down to you.
Here's an expert sources.

I'll copy paste something I wrote about this earlier. It's roundabout but has a few ideas and stuff.
"Mine used to have full range as well, and was locked up for similar reasonings.
I was a stupid teenager at the time so I didn't moniter her well. My family would feed her table scraps and unhealthy foods and once she started having blood in her stool as a result of that mixed with the fact that they free fed cheap 3$ disgusting quality kibble.
They'd open the door and let the cats out constantly. And they'd squirt the cats and throw shoes when they "misbehaved" finally I got sick of that and kept her in my room.
For a while, she rebelled.
Though, door dashing is easily preventable via your legs and reflexes. A skill for sure, but all the otherwise possible provided you've got some brains.

Now she gets scheduled times into a certain part of the house, and daily walks, and the room is catified and enrichment is changed up and added constantly; plus she has a tablet w cat tv. (birds/fish)

I scatter boxes everywhere and change things up very often, she's got tunnels and I've set up a few toys that hand from the ceiling in such a fashion that she can't hang herself or anything; but still can idle play when left alone.

I suggest daily scheduled play times and harness walks if possible. Routine is key. These are intricate creatures filled with curiosity who require daily mental and physical stimulation. (hence walking, that's mostly mental.)

I can also show you a cool homeade "puzzle" toy I make a lot and my cat personally has a BALL with! It's her favorite things to do. I made many and put them in strategic areas.

You don't really need the fancy cat-shit, I use cardboard, boxes, and discarded / not in use / or even IN use furniture to create platforms. Just remember this is not your room anymore. It's theirs. Tailor it to them as you can leave; but they can't. I've bought carpet tiles and put them on tables and desks and shelves for example; that works as a anti slip platform. I usually tape toys to the under side or on the side connected with a rope because she likes reaching over the side and smacking them.

Feel free to DM me as well for more ideas. I'm full of em. LOL!

Bugboxes (rolliepollies, etc) and fishtanks can be great as well. Bugs are cheaper and easier to take care of, of course."

Last edited:

CameronJay

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I believe cats can adapt, The both of you can do it! Good luck 💕

moxiewild

Seniors, Special Needs, Ferals, and Wildlife
Super Cat
Purraise
I agree with the last few comments. And I’m a bit surprised by the negative responses.

There are three main factors here to consider:

- the owner
- the cat
- the college

Ask yourself some questions -

Are you more of an introvert who favors being at home rather than going out? If so, good, more time for your cat.

If you like having friends, do you prefer laid back gatherings at home rather than going out? If yes, how is your cat around groups of other people? How is s/he around noise, etc?

Some of my cats love crowds and go total ham and headboop their if hearts out in front of groups, but others are terified or uncomfortable, and some are indifferent so long as they can comfortably hang out in their safe space, like a bed.

How active is your cat? A lower activity, laid back cat (especially a senior) will do far better and be way easier to have in a dorm.

If your cat is higher energy, how good at you at being committed to interactive play time with him/her? If it’s a problem for you now, then it’s probably not a great idea to bring your cat. Be honest with yourself about limitations like this.

I took in a young, stray cat my senior year. I had plenty of time to play with her because college usually entails awkward periods of downtime in between classes and my campus was so small, so it wasn’t an issue whatsoever to walk back and forth. So I would just come back to my room and play with her 3-5+ times a day for 10 minutes to an hour each time. I found the frequent, even if sometimes short, play sessions throughout the day to be better for her than two really long ones morning and evening.

I have “room cats” now too, and we keep them pretty well stimulated. We also have the luxury of “catifying” that you often don’t in a dorm, but there are plenty of other things we do too - and to be honest, they primarily only ever use their one or two cat shelves they love and ignore all the rest.

For my college kitty, I just arranged furniture in a way that she could best traverse from one place to another. Every single piece of furniture was located or otherwise utilized with her in mind. It wasn’t that difficult.

If she couldn’t reach something other than by jumping from the floor, I placed a tall scratching post near it so she could climb her way up to make it more fun (sisal scratching posts are easy and simple to DIY).

Find toys your cat REALLY loves, and stay on top of rotating them so she doesn’t become bored. Look up homemade toys and tunnels and things like that to save money if you need to.

Clicker training and treat/dry food puzzles are also awesome ways to entertain kitty. So are leashed walks if your kitty enjoys it. We had someone who had an exemption for his ferret, who need 2+ hours a day of interaction and activity. So one of the things he did was take his ferret on leashes walks around campus around lunch and in the evening. He made it work since a playpen isn’t ideal in a small dorm room that you share with someone else.

There are plenty of things you can do. A cat really helped me when I was stressed and busy with school and also when I was incredibly lonely after my friends transferred and graduated.

So take into account your personality, as well as your cats.

Also be sure to really check out your prospective college dorm(s) to get a feel on how loud and busy they are. Different dorm buildings tend to have different atmospheres so ask around to get an idea of what dorms are known for being party dorms, social dorms, busy/loud dorms, and those with more of a reputation for being study dorms or laid back and quiet.

Again, really keep kitty’s personality in mind throughout all of this. If your cat is easily stressed, that’s a definite line you should probably draw unless you can guarantee a relatively quite environment. That said, my dorm was easily more quiet than my subsequent apartment and (now) house/neighborhood.

If you’ve already been accepted, see if the student portal is available to you, and what resources you might have to connect with existing students. You can also check social media and see if your school has a subreddit. Ask currently enrolled students about the environment at the various dorms, how a cat might do there, and what you might need to consider.

Also consider if your kitty has a propensity to try and escape. I NEVER rely on the leg trick someone else mentioned - we have vulnerable cats we keep separate and others who have had fights to kill, so it is paramount that we prevent escape. We pick up our cats as we’re leaving the room, open the door, step out, turn around back toward the room, start closing the door, then toss kitty back in. We’ve never had an escape from doing that but do occasionally if we just try to use our legs.

Personally, I would not feel comfortable bringing any of my cats who have an inclination to bolt or escape - but thats why this depends on the individual cat, because some of mine have no interest in escaping or are so slow that I never even have to block them with my leg.

As others said, look into exemptions, including probate rooms (which may or may not offer more space).

If it comes down to it, I honestly think CC first is a great idea and I desperately wish I would have done that.

moxiewild

Seniors, Special Needs, Ferals, and Wildlife
Super Cat
Purraise
Personally, I would not take a cat to school.

Even though the dorm rooms are small, a cat could get used to living in a space like that but there's more to it than that.
Your cat is supposed to be for support but as you go to school, she will likely become an encumbrance.

You're going to have to worry about her getting out. You're going to worry about how other people treat her.
There's feeding and cleaning up after her. There's medical bills. After all that, your cat, that you love, could end up being more of a liability than an asset.

When you go to college, especially as a freshman, you're going to need to adjust to living an adult life. You don't need something like your cat adding to your trouble. You're going to have enough trouble, as it is, without her.

I'm all for the idea of having pets for emotional support. Casper provides emotional support for his Girl-Human. He is very good at it.
However the middle word in "Emotional Support Animal" is "Support," not "Dependence."

Your cat is there to support you and to help you grow. You're not supposed to depend on her.

As you move away to college, you are going to experience a lot of growth in your life. Having a cat is a good way to learn responsibility, to learn how to grow in life and get some benefit back from her while you're doing it. There is going to be a time when you will have to move on in life. Your cat is supposed to help you get through those times. You aren't supposed to cling to your cat.

When you take your cat to school with you, what you are doing is clinging to your cat instead of learning to grow. You're taking a step backward.

You aren't planning to go to school until next fall. That's another ten months from now. Almost a whole year.

I suggest that you take this time to learn to not be dependent on your cat and grow in your own life.

I think that taking your cat to school with you would be clinging which will only hold you back.

You've still got 3/4 of a year ahead of you before you have to make this decision.

I think you'll be all right. :)
Okay, wait.

ESAs are exempt in ways to make things like being able to air travel while having your ESA in the cabin with you possible.

But somehow wanting to not be separated from your ESA for months at a time is more dependent than one of the most basic and common things having an ESA animal is able to offer..?

The only thing ESA certification is for is to verify that said Animal helps to relieve the symptoms of medically diagnosed psychological disorders and stress. What OP is talking about is literally the epitome of what having an ESA animal is for.

So if you think it’s just simple dependency, then you shouldn’t agree with the concept of ESAs at all. But don’t guilt him/her for trying to utilize ESA status in the exact way it’s intended to be used and was created for.

It’s not like an ESA can help support you long distance via phone, FB messenger, or FaceTime. Without being able to take his/her ESA, that “support” is suddenly and entirely withdrawn, which is often detrimental for those who have ESAs.

Again, that’s why having the ability to keep your ESA physically present with you is what ESA certification is literally all about.

By spinning this to be about “dependency” and hindering OP’s opportunity to grow, you’re basically saying the equivalent of “Get out of the house and go make some friends! You’ll never be happy if you don’t try!” to a depressed person.

ESAs influence a sufferer’s neurochemistey. It can be just or even more important than medication of therapy, and I find it unfair of you to undermine that. For all we know (and as is likely for most people with ESAs), OP’s ESA is only one part of an integrative approach. You wouldn’t say s/he’s too dependent on medication as prescribed or therapy for symptom relief, would you?

If you have an issue because this is a living thing without a choice, or you don’t agree with ESAs as a concept, okay, say that - but OP is trying to use his/her ESA status precisely as intended, so it’s invalidating of you to imply otherwise.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, agree with moxiewild about the point of this being a certified ESA animal. If ashekitty went through the process of getting her kitty officially certified ESA, there's a good reason for it. Getting a legally certified ESA animal is not normally done lightly.

My main concerns, though, with having a cat in a dorm room really depend on what daily habit patterns and emotional patterns the cat and human are used to experiencing. Being in a dorm room involves a lot of the outer world, unexpected people, certainly unexpected noises, smells, even experiencing required things like fire alarms for practice drills -- so many things can impinge upon the calmness and security of a cat. It makes me think of a vet clinic, in a way, with all the little rooms, the constant flow of people, noise, doors banging open and closed, weird smells, never a true pattern for an animal (or human animal!) to really rely upon 24/7. It can be very stressful.

I've tried reading through some of your older threads, ashekitty ashekitty , and is it your 8-year-old kitty, Curly, who is your certified ESA? For you to make a decision on whether she might react badly to being in a dorm room long-term, try to think of all the things that make Curly feel safe, comfortable, calm, happy, as I think her emotional state will really help YOUR emotional state. Having Curly feel happy and safe is a key to this being successful Being ESA, Curly and you have a very particular, close relationship, I would think, and the success of being in a dorm room if your normal patterns are interrupted... well, this could affect how you each adjust emotionally in a different place that is totally unlike where you are living now. Going to school can be stressful for anyone, and a lot of changes take place. Where best can your ESA cat help you the most? Maybe if you can find a way to live at home (at least for the first year of social adjustment), whether by waiver from the school, or maybe by going to community college for a while, that would work out better for you.

Also, to my mind, an 8 or 9 year old kitty is reaching senior years, and you have to consider the possibility of health issues cropping up. Where best should Curly live with you just in case something happens with her health?
:hugs:

I'm always all for a variety of opinions! You have to pick out what is best for you.

calico man

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, agree with moxiewild about the point of this being a certified ESA animal. If ashekitty went through the process of getting her kitty officially certified ESA, there's a good reason for it. Getting a legally certified ESA animal is not normally done lightly.

My main concerns, though, with having a cat in a dorm room really depend on what daily habit patterns and emotional patterns the cat and human are used to experiencing. Being in a dorm room involves a lot of the outer world, unexpected people, certainly unexpected noises, smells, even experiencing required things like fire alarms for practice drills -- so many things can impinge upon the calmness and security of a cat. It makes me think of a vet clinic, in a way, with all the little rooms, the constant flow of people, noise, doors banging open and closed, weird smells, never a true pattern for an animal (or human animal!) to really rely upon 24/7. It can be very stressful.

I've tried reading through some of your older threads, ashekitty ashekitty , and is it your 8-year-old kitty, Curly, who is your certified ESA? For you to make a decision on whether she might react badly to being in a dorm room long-term, try to think of all the things that make Curly feel safe, comfortable, calm, happy, as I think her emotional state will really help YOUR emotional state. Having Curly feel happy and safe is a key to this being successful Being ESA, Curly and you have a very particular, close relationship, I would think, and the success of being in a dorm room if your normal patterns are interrupted... well, this could affect how you each adjust emotionally in a different place that is totally unlike where you are living now. Going to school can be stressful for anyone, and a lot of changes take place. Where best can your ESA cat help you the most? Maybe if you can find a way to live at home (at least for the first year of social adjustment), whether by waiver from the school, or maybe by going to community college for a while, that would work out better for you.

Also, to my mind, an 8 or 9 year old kitty is reaching senior years, and you have to consider the possibility of health issues cropping up. Where best should Curly live with you just in case something happens with her health?
:hugs:

I'm always all for a variety of opinions! You have to pick out what is best for you.
I think your last statement says it all!