Can a cat live in a dorm room?

SpecterOhPossum

spec's pet human
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I NEVER rely on the leg trick someone else mentioned - we have vulnerable cats we keep separate and others who have had fights to kill, so it is paramount that we prevent escape. We pick up our cats as we’re leaving the room, open the door, step out, turn around back toward the room, start closing the door, then toss kitty back in. We’ve never had an escape from doing that but do occasionally if we just try to use our legs.
How do you do the leg trick? It's never failed for me and I've dealt with about 16 cats in my lifetime. It's pretty easy to line your leg and foot as a wall and crack the door; then enter; closing the door behind your back. Then sliding sideways out of the door leg first again to leave.

RangersMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello
I am going to college next year and my cat is a certified ESA so she would legally be able to go with me. I’m just worried that she would become depressed in a dorm room, which I am required to stay in my first year. Is a dorm room too small? My other option is not to go to a four year and go to community college instead and stay at home. I am not comfortable living without her.
I know dorms are small but I dont think she will become depressed. She is probably more likely to become depressed without you. Just make sure you give her lots of toys, a scratching post, comfy places to sleep, clean litter area, and a place she can look out the window!
You'll probably be studying in your room a decent amount so she can cuddle with you.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think if you got a friendly, loves new people wee kitten that you took on a daily stroll to wander/hunt for an hour or two every day (maybe a long leash & study while kitty plays?) Then you could have a happy cat that lives in a dorm. If so carry treats in your pocket and a toy that only come out/from whoever the cat meets in the hall.

That said kittens/cats require time/effort every day. College is a short period of your life. So it might be wise to wait 4 years, graduate & then get a cat. Also you may be able to rent a room instead of living in a dorm & then get a cat.

moxiewild

Seniors, Special Needs, Ferals, and Wildlife
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes, agree with moxiewild about the point of this being a certified ESA animal. If ashekitty went through the process of getting her kitty officially certified ESA, there's a good reason for it. Getting a legally certified ESA animal is not normally done lightly.

My main concerns, though, with having a cat in a dorm room really depend on what daily habit patterns and emotional patterns the cat and human are used to experiencing. Being in a dorm room involves a lot of the outer world, unexpected people, certainly unexpected noises, smells, even experiencing required things like fire alarms for practice drills -- so many things can impinge upon the calmness and security of a cat. It makes me think of a vet clinic, in a way, with all the little rooms, the constant flow of people, noise, doors banging open and closed, weird smells, never a true pattern for an animal (or human animal!) to really rely upon 24/7. It can be very stressful.

I've tried reading through some of your older threads, ashekitty ashekitty , and is it your 8-year-old kitty, Curly, who is your certified ESA? For you to make a decision on whether she might react badly to being in a dorm room long-term, try to think of all the things that make Curly feel safe, comfortable, calm, happy, as I think her emotional state will really help YOUR emotional state. Having Curly feel happy and safe is a key to this being successful Being ESA, Curly and you have a very particular, close relationship, I would think, and the success of being in a dorm room if your normal patterns are interrupted... well, this could affect how you each adjust emotionally in a different place that is totally unlike where you are living now. Going to school can be stressful for anyone, and a lot of changes take place. Where best can your ESA cat help you the most? Maybe if you can find a way to live at home (at least for the first year of social adjustment), whether by waiver from the school, or maybe by going to community college for a while, that would work out better for you.

Also, to my mind, an 8 or 9 year old kitty is reaching senior years, and you have to consider the possibility of health issues cropping up. Where best should Curly live with you just in case something happens with her health?
:hugs:

I'm always all for a variety of opinions! You have to pick out what is best for you.
The fire alarm thing is a GREAT point, I totally forgot about that!

What I did for my cat was just explain the situation to my RA. She would essentially “unofficially” text me to give me a heads up the day before and let me know what time the drill was.

I would then place kitty in a carrier and go sit in my car or stand far enough away from all the noise/commotion.

Sometimes the drill was scheduled for a time i wouldn’t be there. I was always able to have my roommate, friend, or partner come get her for me. The one time that wasn’t even an option, I dropped her off at a friends dorm (different dorm from mine, so was on a different drill schedule... this may not be the same everywhere though) before class and then just picked her up after.

I think most RAs would probably give you notice unofficially like mine did, but if they go through the proper channels, I’d be surprised if an exception was not made for you.

moxiewild

Seniors, Special Needs, Ferals, and Wildlife
Super Cat
Purraise
How do you do the leg trick? It's never failed for me and I've dealt with about 16 cats in my lifetime. It's pretty easy to line your leg and foot as a wall and crack the door; then enter; closing the door behind your back. Then sliding sideways out of the door leg first again to leave.
That’s how I do it. I have 16 cats in the house just right now 😂 (I also work with cats at my job and foster constantly).

It definitely works for most cats, and even most of the time for the cats who do manage to slip by sometimes.

But it’s much less reliable than picking them up.

Like I said, I care for vulnerable cats. They need to be separated from the occasional young and rambunctious adults we take in. We also have cared for, and are currently caring for, cats who are very, very aggressive with others.

We have two right now that would kill each other if they had the chance, and both will also try to kill one of our senior females in particular if given the chance too. They’ve had more minor and random incidences with a few others, as well.

So we just won’t chance the leg thing with certain cats. We have pet gates and pick them up to mitigate the risk.

Preferably, you would not bring a cat who to college who is eager to escape. But if you were in that position for whatever reason, this is another situation I would take extra precaution with.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ashekitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have been reading all of these comments from the beginning, and I apologize for not responding to all of the well constructed and thoughtful comments. I get overwhelmed sometimes with so much different information. I have a lot to think about, but I’m thinking she is coming with me. She is the most effective form of therapy I’ve ever had, and I am getting a single room with no roommates so I can try to utilize the whole room to make it as cat friendly as possible. She is also going to be ten by the time I am moving in and is starting to mellow out more. Again, thanks for all of the responses.