Can a cat have fraternal twins?

levi68

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My foster cat is giving birth right now. She had her first kitten, then her second. I watched her clean the second one off. Then she turned around in the box. I peered over her and saw a third kitten laying there still slimy and not moving. Mom was busy with second one still who was close to being dried off. So, I showed her the third one. This is where it got weird. She started licking the third but I noticed the third was not attached to anything. So, I thought I missed something. I tried to pick up the second one to put her near the teats as she was still near mommas hind end. She was still attached to the placenta and the placenta was still inside momma. They are both long haired black kittens but one is a boy and one is a girl. So, I'm confused.

Hope that made sense!

So..fraternal twins or ??

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It sounds like they came so fast she had trouble cleaning them all quickly and had probably already eaten one of the placentas, but the last placenta had not been delivered yet.

Are all the kittens alive and nursing? You said one wasn't moving. Is it okay now?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
As I understand it, they CAN have two to a placenta. Not common even rare, but may happen.   But the very most common with missing placenta is its hastily eaten up.  Sometimes  its still inside.

How is it going, how is the nr 3?

Re   not moving kittens, if they are whole and fullborne, but seems stillborn, they can sometimes be taken back into life by actively warming up and massaging.

Compare with the scene in the movie "The 101 dalmatinians".

Hreedertwinsmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
These are my twins actually came from same placenta. I was in shock didn't know it was possible. One boy and a girl
IMG_20190803_180600376.jpg

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Id agree with the others that the placenta was likely eaten quickly. While they both are colorpoints, one is developing lynx stripes and the other doesn't seem to be. Different coat patterns under the colorpoint I believe. I saw your other post and the rest of the litter have tabby striping.