Can a Cat have a learning disability?

oreos

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have three cats. I trained the first two with a mixture of treats, spray bottle, and time-outs(in severe situations). They both learned within a few months and are very well behaved.

I have patiently tried to teach my third cat for a year and a half with treats, clapping, snapping my fingers, spray bottle, time-outs, and using a harsh voice. She simply does not learn. I have cutains that are not screwed to the wall but put in with a pressured rod. She claws into them and they fall down. This frightens her and she runs off. BUT she will do it again a few days later and be just as surprised.

For a year an a half I have tried very hard to get her to use a scratching post and she will not. She still jumps on tables and counters meaning that I spend a lot of my time telling her 'no'.She jumps at people and digs her claws into their back. I am still getting scratched on a daily basis. 

PS. We do have a good bond and she will cuddle up for hours. I love that she's playful. I just wish she could learn a few things.

Last edited:

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't think it is a learning disability. She gets the reaction she wants - attention.  This site has a good library of articles about cat behavior.  Let me give you a link, you will see where everything is. This is the first place to try when a problem occurs.

www.thecatsite.com/atype/43/Cat_Behavior

I would start with trimming her nails.  That will stop the curtain climbing and scratching.