Can a cat get pregnant while already nursing a litter?

foxfire

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Several months ago someone dropped off a lovely white and gray tabby cat at the farm where I work. We soon realized she was pregnant; there were four in the litter. Mom is at least beginning to wean them, and I hope to take home at least one.

I'd thought that a lactating female cat couldn't get pregnant, but as round as she's getting I really think she's pregnant again already. Could someone give me some thoughts on this?

maverick_kitten

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
but you can still get her spayed. the choice is yours alone to make, but keep in mind the strain another pregnancy would put on the cats body.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by foxfire

Several months ago someone dropped off a lovely white and gray tabby cat at the farm where I work. We soon realized she was pregnant; there were four in the litter. Mom is at least beginning to wean them, and I hope to take home at least one.

I'd thought that a lactating female cat couldn't get pregnant, but as round as she's getting I really think she's pregnant again already. Could someone give me some thoughts on this?
Foxfire....yes..they can get pregnant again....while they are nursing. This is why we advocate that if you find a pregnant cat that it is moved to a place where it cannot be around intact cats until it has weaned it's kittens and has been spayed.

If you choose not to have this cat spayed at this time...she and her current kittens need to be brought indoors until she has this second litter and weans them and is spayed. The more litters a cat has in a year..the more draining it is on her system and the more likely the kittens will have health issues. If no one can take her in...it may be best to find a rescue group to take her. Also...this means there is an intact male around...so it may be worth it to try to get that cat trapped and neutered.

Katie

semiferal

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, she absolutely can get pregnant while nursing.

The best thing for her is to be spayed immediately. Nursing two litters in such short succession will be very hard on her.