Can a cat get pregnant even when not in heat?

comithy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all, a stray kitten (3-5 months old) wandered into our compound and has been an outdoor cat ever since. Most of the cats in our neighborhood are either fixed or antisocial and she was still quite young so I wasn't worried about any accidental pregnancies. However today a male cat showed interest in her and followed her back to our compound and has been restless and constantly meowing. My kitten is not in heat or interested in him (avoiding, dodging butt sniffs) but I still wonder if it's possible that he could force her to mate eg. by pinning her down etc. I would bring her inside for peace of mind but everyone in my family except for me is allergic, and there are no spare rooms for her. I'm planning to make an spay appt soon but I just wanted to know if it's still safe to leave her outside.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
If she hasn’t been spayed yet, then I would assume she could get pregnant at almost any time. She may not seem to be in heat, but it may be on the verge. Male cats can definitely hone in on it, and will indeed force the issue. A breeder friend of my mom’s had a young female that got pregnant at 5 months, before she exhibited signs of being in heat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

comithy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the replies! We managed to borrow a crate to keep her in while waiting for her spay day, so just wanted to know for how long she should be observed/kept in crate after the procedure? Google mentioned at least 48 hours for female cats but I'm worried about how the incision site will fare if she's outdoors so quickly after the surgery.

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
How many hours of the day will she be crate bound? Do you have an extra bathroom you can set up for her? I would probably keep her under observation/confinement for a bit longer if she’ll be going back outside. I’d be concerned with dirt getting in the incision site.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

comithy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How many hours of the day will she be crate bound? Do you have an extra bathroom you can set up for her? I would probably keep her under observation/confinement for a bit longer if she’ll be going back outside. I’d be concerned with dirt getting in the incision site.
I set her up in the bathroom when everyones asleep so shes not in the crate 24/7. She hasnt been displaying any obvious signs of heat so I assume its over, so i made a spay appointment for tomorrow. Hopefully 10 days is enough for her recovery period!