Can a cat get along with smaller pets?

kittie1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well I hate mice but I want a third pet. Which will be in the far future because I do want kittie to have another cat. I want a maine coon as I admire them a lot. I looked them a lot as far as cats go. I am a small critter fan though. I want something smaller than a cat. I have thought before october to just get a ferrets instead of kittens than my dad got a dog so I got Kittie. Well he got it and gave it to me because I'm a minor and they wouldn't agree to giving it to a minor. Anyway I've always wanted the same type pattern of rat or guinea pig as my last pet rat when I was 5. I considered getting a ferret as a third pet because I don't want 3 cats and I can't have a dog they frighten me ferrets would be the only large pet left but they're too much trouble. So I've narrowed it down to either guinea pig or rat or maybe hamster. But idk will having 2 cats scare them? Idk anyone have a smaller pet and cats? How did it go??

Last edited:

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I hate mice but I want a third pet. Which will be in the far future because I do want kittie to have another cat. I want a maine coon as I admire them a lot. I looked them a lot as far as cats go. I am a small critter far though. I want something smaller than a cat. I have thought before october to just get a ferrets instead of kittens than my dad got a dog so I got Kittie. Well he got it and gave it to me because I'm a minor and they wouldn't agree to giving it to a minor. Anyway I've always wanted the same type pattern of rat or guinea pig as my last pet rat when I was 5. I considered getting a ferret as a third pet because I don't want 3 cats and I can't have a dog they frighten me ferrets would be the only large pet left but they're too much trouble. So I've narrowed it down to either guinea pig or rat or maybe hamster. But idk will having 2 cats scare them? Idk anyone have a smaller pet and cats? How did it go??
rat, guinea pig, hamster = prey = food for a kitty = :nono:

Ferret is ok..... But the other three would most likely be dinner..... sorry, but true, don't want you to be shocked and disappointed/traumatized by the experience..... This is what cats were made to eat :nod:

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittie1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
aren't ferrets in the wild felis sylvestris's meal too? I've heard ferrets and cats can live together. That's why I thought it was possible. If that can't ever be then what about giving that pet one room like I'm more concerned if a rat or guinea pig have a room of its own will it be comfortable with cats so close? Also I've considered getting a ferret but they're a lot of work I hear idk.

rafm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Growing up I had a cat that would get in the guinea pig's cage and they would curl up and sleep together. We never had to put a cover on the cage. I have a pic of it that I need to scan, it was awesome. 

However, that particular cat, Tigger, was extremely docile. Once, we had a mouse in the house and he wouldn't get off the counter he was so scared. He would sit on the counter and watch it eat out of his food dish. 

There are only 2 cats out of my 5 that I would trust with a small prey animal. If your cat is extremely docile and passive, it might work. Otherwise, I would forgo a small animal. Wait until you bring in a kitten and you can raise them together. 

nerdrock

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
In addition to asking the question that you have asked on here, I think you need to really research each of the types of animals that you're thinking about getting at your third pet and what their requirements are, lifespans, etc. 

Since you're a minor, something like a ferret, guinea pig, rabbit, etc is most likely going to be with you into your young adult years (depending on how old you are now). What are you going to do if you go to college/university? Are you going to be able to afford everything for them when you live on your own? Just something to think about... when I was in college, and even after, my roommates all had small pets (as did I), but they didn't realize how much things end up costing (bedding, food, cages, vet visits, etc) and it hurt their pets in the end with respiratory infections, sores on their feet, etc. Again, I'm not saying that you're like that, but it's something to consider. 

I used to have guinea pigs, I'd love to have them again but I just do not have the time or the finances to do it right now. Mine lived 5 years (female) and 8 years (neutered male). They do much better in pairs or groups than alone, especially if you are gone quite a bit. They are extremely social and surprisingly loud, mine would chirp whenever someone walked by their cage or into the room. One of my cats was fine with them, the other wanted to eat them. I kept them in a room where I could shut the door if I wasn't around, so that the cats wouldn't be able to get to the pigs. 

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree that you need to do a lot of research into the needs of whatever pet you decide on, and think about why you really want another pet. The fact that you don't even know what kind you want makes me think that you just want a small pet for the sake of getting another pet, not because you actually want to enjoy another pet's personality. Anyway, my take on each kind of pet (I have had ferrets, rabbits, mice, a rat, and reptiles at the same time as having cats):

Ferrets are a TON of work. They're like a mix of a puppy and a kitten, and they never grow up! This is a huge commitment, like getting a dog or another cat. They usually get along fine with active young cats but may pick on a shy or older cat. A very predatory cat may view a baby ferret as prey, but once the ferret is old enough, the cat won't think that for long! Ferrets NEED to be spayed/neutered, but most come from the breeder already done. Vet care is expensive, and they do need vaccinations.

Rabbits are usually OK with cats as long as the rabbit is over 4 pounds. A very small dwarf rabbit or a baby bunny will probably be viewed as lunch, but large older rabbits are pretty tough and aren't likely to let a cat get away with much. Rabbits tend to be messy creatures and their urine has a strong odor. They should be spayed/neutered, because female rabbits have a high rate of reproductive disease, and an intact male will spray urine like a tomcat. Vet care can be expensive, and it's kind of hard to find a vet who knows a lot about pet rabbits.

Guinea pigs. . .I've never had one, but a few friends of mine did. As to whether they get along with cats, this depends on the individual cat and the individual cavy. A predatory cat and a timid cavy will probably not be friends, and the cavy could get hurt or killed. But a gentle cat and a tough cavy could be good friends. I wouldn't leave a cat alone with a cavy. As I understand it, males should be neutered, but routine spaying is considered too large of a risk for females. They should be kept in pairs/groups.

Rats are cool. They're like very small dogs, can be taught tricks, and are very personable. I highly recommend rats as pets. A gentle cat might be friends with a confident rat, but I would never never leave them together without supervision. Rats need large enclosures and do better with a rattie friend. If you want to keep mixed genders, you can have the males neutered.

And mice, gerbils,and hamsters should be in a cat-proof cage whenever a cat is around. They're just too lunch-like to a cat, I wouldn't ever trust that a cat could suppress his instincts enough to not kill a small bite-sized critter. A regular Habitrail-type cage is not sturdy enough to be cat-proof. You'd need something tougher than that.

Last edited:

blueorchid

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It is possible to have a cat and other small animals if you take the necessary precautions. Being a small animal lover myself and having owned them I will tell you rabbits, guinea pigs, and ferrets are pretty much the same amount (if not more work) than a cat. I would definitely do some research on the type of animal you will want to bring home. Mice, gerbils and hamsters are easy and cheap to care for they also have shorter life spans. You will need to think about the type of cage (something sturdy that the cat can't get in) and where you will put the animal. Some like the guinea pigs and gerbils need to be in pairs. Remember that most rodents are nocturnal or diurnal and will make noise when you are trying to sleep. Also, bothering these animals when they are sleeping/tired will cause stress that can make them aggressive, sick, and even kill them. I agree with all the above advice, just make sure you are getting what you really want and can care for now and in the future. I say you should consider getting another kitty, kittens normally like to have company (of course you need to introduce them properly) and having two kittens isn't normally much more work than having one.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittie1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm actually not that young anymore and I'm not a college student I live on my own and am an aspiring entertainer and have a job. I'm fine with taking care of my kitten. I do it comfortably. I was just saying last October...

My dad had gerbils believe it or not she said they were miserable. They've never been appealing and mice actually scare me. I think because in my kindergarten I didn't have a mouse just a rat... And I liked her a lot she was my first and favorite pet. I always wanted a guinea pig. But I admit hamsters are cool.

I've considered getting a rabbit for the same reason of getting a ferret. But I want to get a second cat for Kittie and another pet. I want the 3rd pet to be a small pet not like a ferret or even a bunny. I wanted ferrets before I had Kittie. That's the only reason I still consider it.

If they're nocturnal it's perfect because it's quiet time all the time here anyway because cats are nocturnal anyway

So they didn't smell or hear or see the cat and freak? I already planned to give the smaller pets a room.... And would have a secure cage....

p3 and the king

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maine Coons are wonderful!  I have 2- boy (King Arthur) and a girl (Morgan La Fay) they are siblings.  Such awesome cats!!  They love smaller animals!  Whichever one you decide on, just make sure you take the proper precautions (especially if it's an animal they would normally see as prey) and both you and your Maine Coon can enjoy it together!

A helpful hint:  Usually reinforced glass is better.  Wire cages do no good because kitty can get paw in and possibly injure himself trying to get the animal... And frighten the poor little guy inside. But as long as the one inside realizes kitty can't get them... They are comfortable and OK.

Last edited:

ruthyb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have rabbits and a guinea pig, Floss loves them,she always "helps" me clean them out and when the kitties go into the garden in summer and the bunnies are out they all play with them. I would definitely say no to anything smaller.x

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a friend who has a ferret.  That's cute to watch it in it's ball with the cat chasing it!! 
Ferrets shouldn't be in a ball. . .it's bad for their backs. They can (and should) just run loose in the house, provided the area is ferret-proofed. Mine like to wrestle with the cats. But I've noticed that most people who have ferrets don't know how to properly care for them at all. I can't believe they even sell exercise balls for ferrets. Ugh.

Last edited:

p3 and the king

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ferrets shouldn't be in a ball. . .it's bad for their backs. They can (and should) just run loose in the house, provided the area is ferret-proofed. Mine like to wrestle with the cats. But I've noticed that most people who have ferrets don't know how to properly care for them at all. I can't believe they even sell exercise balls for ferrets. Ugh.
It's not my ferret.  They only put it in there when the cats are out too.  Most of the time, if it out of the cage, it is because the cats are sleeping and shut up in another room.  It has a big cage with reinforced glass and the cats and the ferret interact with eachother without fear.  As long as the animal is safe and you take precautions to insure it, your cat should be OK with a smaller animal.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's not my ferret.  They only put it in there when the cats are out too.  Most of the time, if it out of the cage, it is because the cats are sleeping and shut up in another room.  It has a big cage with reinforced glass and the cats and the ferret interact with eachother without fear.  As long as the animal is safe and you take precautions to insure it, your cat should be OK with a smaller animal.
I know it's not your ferret so this is moot. But why do they keep the ferret separate from the cats like that? Ferrets do not need to be protected from cats (unless there's a personality conflict and they dislike each other for some reason, and even then the cats are probably the ones needing protection!). Ferrets are weasels, carnivores, predators, not prey animals at all. Mine even play freely with the dogs, but of course I supervise because a large dog could easily hurt a ferret just by stepping on it. Keeping a ferret separated from cats is like keeping a puppy or kitten separated from the older cats/dogs--sometimes it's necessary but only under special circumstances. And putting a ferret in an exercise ball is like putting a puppy or kitten in an exercise ball. . .

p3 and the king

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No reason to get huffy!  Haha... They are worried that the ferret might bite and hurt the cats they told me once.  But they seem to get along well other than that.  They are just being cautious is all.  If you want, I can ask them to email you and you can let them have it for being terrible ferret owners?  I think it is smart of them to insure the safety of their cats (and the ferret, too, of course.) But if you believe it's wrong, I am not the person to tell it to.  I was just trying to offer her some other perspectives is all.  Have a good day!!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just don't want some random person reading that and thinking that ferrets need to be locked up behind glass to protect them from cats. Hamsters, sure, but not ferrets. I don't think they're bad ferret owners (based on that only anyway. . .I have no idea of their other ferret-keeping skills. Although the exercise ball thing does make me think they're somewhat inexperienced), but I do think it's unnecessary. And the poor weezel is probably lonely because he doesn't get to play with other animals :(.

Anyway, I think ferrets make fine companions for young active cats. However, I don't think most cat owners are prepared to have a ferret. They're high-maintenance, both behaviorally and medically. If you choose to get a ferret, do TONS of research about their proper care and keeping! And have a lot of money socked away for emergencies. . .

p3 and the king

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
To be honest, I don't like seeing it in a cage either.  He is a sweet little guy.  They told me that the team member at PetSmart told them that the bite could really harm a cat or dog and they can get infected really easily so it best to keep them separated.  But, they do let them interact through the glass and they do take him out quite a bit for some one on one time with them. 

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pet store people are mostly idiots (or at least sorely misinformed). Especially the minimum-wage teenagers at big-box stores. Never believe a word they say about caring for any live animal, unless you can back it up with your own research.

Last edited:

rafm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I would encourage you not to buy any small pet from a pet store. You want one that was hand raised and typically you can find a breeder that does that. Our guniea pig was rescued from a science lab shortly after she was born. We had to hand feed her and we thought we would lose her for a bit. But, she pulled through and was an awesome pig for over 7 years. She adored my dad and would stand up in her cage squealing every day when he got home from work. He always had a carrot for her and would carry her around in his pocket. We even set up a pen in the backyard and she would bounce around it in the late afternoon. She was very easy to care for. 

After she passed we got a pig from the pet store, it was wild and sickly. We never formed a bond with it and it died after about a year. It was really sad and disappointing. 

You can find rescue pigs on petfinder and these are typically in foster homes where they get a lot of socialization. I would encourage you to go that route if you decide to do that. 

p3 and the king

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Willowy, I did research it.  The infected part is not true if you tend to it and clean it.   The bite can hurt but no more than any other animal.  I passed this info on to them a while back ago.  But that was before I was in vet school so they took the PetSmart guys word over mine!