can a cat come in heat so soon?

callie37

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My female cat whos kittens have just passed away is in heat
Is it normal for her to be in heat this soon her kittens weren't even fully grown when they passed just a few weeks old and they just passed a few days ago.

I thought cats were supposed to not come in season for a while after coming out of heat now were going through a repeat of what just happened

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, cats can come into heat right away after giving birth, and especially if they lose the babies. They also do not go out of heat until they're mated, they just cycle in and out every few days until the deed is done. They're induced ovulators, they aren't like dogs, who have distinct heat periods. If you don't want her to get pregnant you'll need to have her spayed. If price is a concern I'm sure someone can recommend a low-cost spay clinic in your area :).

Last edited:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of my 'dumped' cats had three litters in one year. My Casper who I kept, wasn't even three months old when she had another litter! It can happen!

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Exactly as @Willowy  said, and one thing I can add is, when a cat loses her kids she mourns, which throws her in to heat again too, nature's way of "replacing" the lost.