Can A Cat Be Trained Not To Kill?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Do those sonic things work? I think stuff gets in through our basement. We live in an old farmhouse with an unfinished (a nice way of putting it, it's a hole in the ground) basement typical of those kinds of houses. Our house will never be sealed up against all rodents, but any decrease n the population would be nice. Ailish does a very good job, but I'm the one who has cart dead things outside. In the middle of the night.

Yes it works, I have used sonic for moles in my yard and also to keep some of my cats from getting on my kitchen counters. Wire Wool is another good way to prevent rats from coming, just simply find the way they are gaining access and scrunch up balls of steel wool and pack it in the hole. They can not chew through it.

ailish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I honestly never knew a cat like your kitty Ailish. I wonder too if the pregnancy also brought out the hunting instinct in her.
I have wondered this myself. From my understanding, she had her kittens in foster care so she didn't have to provide them with food, but who knows how she grew up except I strongly believe she was raised by a mother cat. She is very food motivated, so who knows if she experienced deprivation, add that to the hormones telling her to provide for the babies...

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
The deal is cats killing 1.4 to 3.7 billions birds. Each year. In the U.S.
Which I find hilarious due to it's absurdity.
Don't argue that by saying "But other stuff is worse". We are not talking about other stuff. We are talking about cats.
Use the other stuff to show the absurdity.
1) Cats AND other stuff are said to kill over 5 billion birds.
2) Other stuff does NOT included Habitat Loss.
3) Habitat Loss is said to be FAR greater and cannot be calculated.
4) Common sense means FAR GREATER could logically be defined as a number. So lets just say. 7 billion...Which isn't FAR greater, but, 7 is conservatively greater than 5. So lets go with 7 billion from habitat loss.
5) 5 billion plus 7 billion is 12 billion un natural bird deaths each year in the U.S.
6) Estimate of 20 billions birds in the United States.
7) Now, this is per year, in the U.S. And this has been going on for how many years now?

If you can't do that math and connect the dots, there's no need for me to continue. The numbers are just flat out impossible.
Cats are always the favorite to scapegoat for humans. Anything that humans don't understand and can't control, quickly becomes a threat.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A ailish Your Ailish is smart enough to know that a rat can do serious damage to her. Cats also catch and kill snakes they don't play around with the snake they kill it.

The ancient Egyptians keep groups of special hunting cats to bring down cobras. Others were kept to hunt similar to the way dogs are used to hunt, except the cats were to bring down the prey not point, surround and wait for the person to kill it. The training was that they weren't supposed to run off with it or eat it where they killed it.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
I have wondered this myself. From my understanding, she had her kittens in foster care so she didn't have to provide them with food, but who knows how she grew up except I strongly believe she was raised by a mother cat. She is very food motivated, so who knows if she experienced deprivation, add that to the hormones telling her to provide for the babies...
There is a lot we don't know about animals.
Oh I would imagine there were times when she experienced a great deal of food deprivation, being feral means never knowing where your next meal is coming from. Its a horrible life.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
A ailish Your Ailish is smart enough to know that a rat can do serious damage to her. Cats also catch and kill snakes they don't play around with the snake they kill it.

The ancient Egyptians keep groups of special hunting cats to bring down cobras. Others were kept to hunt similar to the way dogs are used to hunt, except the cats were to bring down the prey not point, surround and wait for the person to kill it. The training was that they weren't supposed to run off with it or eat it where they killed it.

Great points ! If it wasn't for cats Europe would have totally succumbed to the Bubonic Plague. Mankind owes a lot to these little felines.

I know they hate snakes with a passion, as all animals do. But I had no idea that they could take down a cobra, fascinating.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, not every cat, they have to be trained by mom. The neighbor's Siamese loves hunting snakes in our backyard. We do not have cobras, we don't live where there are cobras. If I'm wrong, I really don't want to know.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, not every cat, they have to be trained by mom. The neighbor's Siamese loves hunting snakes in our backyard. We do not have cobras, we don't live where there are cobras. If I'm wrong, I really don't want to know.

Nope, you're not wrong. :) I just looked it up and apparently cats can kill a Cobra. I always thought that the only animal that could take on a Cobra was a mongoose, but I stand corrected.

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nope, you're not wrong. :) I just looked it up and apparently cats can kill a Cobra. I always thought that the only animal that could take on a Cobra was a mongoose, but I stand corrected.
I'd think, as I've seen with other prey...It's trial and error.
I think my cat is faster than a snake strike...when he wants to be. I've never seen anything quicker when he's in the mood to be quick.
He's caught several harmless snakes, played with them, and then ended them. BUT, he was then bitten by a copperhead and it took him a couple weeks to get back to normal.
He no longer plays with snakes or toys that resemble snakes. He goes straight for kill.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Which means you have one of the most intelligent of cats, basscat basscat for we measure intelligence in the ability to learn.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Before you buy a sonic thing please remember just because you can’t hear does not mean your cat/dog can’t hear it to!!! Heck, I don’t even put bells on my cats because I’m aware of their sensitive hearing! (Plus cats learn to walk silently to be able to not startle their prey/birds they are hunting.) Also I have sensitive hearing (for a human) & my stepmom had one of those to repel bugs. That high pitch noise drove me nuts (& again I’m human!)

ailish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Really! Ailish's snake capture was quite small. Imagine may surprise when she walked into the room with this 6" snake dangling from her mouth. That was returned to the field outside. At the time I didn't even know cats caught snakes.

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Which means you have one of the most intelligent of cats, basscat basscat for we measure intelligence in the ability to learn.
Yeah, he's a fast study. Pill popper was something new and interesting the 1st time. 2nd time he saw it.....it was a whole different thing. :lol:
It's the same with food. If he eats something just once that doesn't agree with him. That's it.