Can a cat be injured by a Havahart trap?

MissingBaby

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm posting this in the strays and ferals category because I figure you're the people who know about trapping cats, but actually I'm trying to trap my missing indoor boy. A neighbor spotted him late last night, so I ran out and got a Havahart one door trap (the kind that says it's for cats, raccoons, and groundhogs). But when I set it up it seems so scary! Will it close on his tail?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It can close on a tail but the cat can pull their tail free without injury, the flap has a little wiggle room even with the locking bar in place. The force of it closing isn't enough to do more than bruise. But to reduce risk of injury and ensure the cat triggers it, you want to put the food/bait as far into the trap as possible. I've always tipped it back when setting it down so the food slides into the far wall. You also want the food as centered as possible so a clever raccoon doesn't push it to either side and get food without going in.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have used the single door Havahart for years and own several. Do exactly what Kieka Kieka says and make sure the food is well in the back behind the trip bar. I use an old BBQ type utensil spatula which has the extremely long arm on it but even shoving it way to the back with a stick will also work. I have never had a cat injured by the trap when used correctly.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MissingBaby

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you both for the info. This is the first sighting of my cat since he ran off and I'm finally hopeful I can get him back, but I would feel so terrible if I hurt him in the process.