Can a bladder tumor cause leakage?

BluOnyx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat has been dripping blood and peeing outside the litter box for a while now but it seems like he is just letting loose sometimes. He wet the bed yesterday, at least a quarter of a cup of water. I did buy him a diaper and he is going to start wearing that today with some panty liners inserted into it to catch the blood and urine. I am just wondering if this is something that happens for cats who have tumors.

It is very hard to get ahold of my vet to just ask questions so I thought I would ask here first if anyone knows about this. He does still use his litter box to pee but it seems like he has peeing accidents as well. Not just minor leaking blood but full-on going number one where he is sitting or laying down.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
From what I have always heard, bladder tumors can definitely cause blood in the urine. They can cause frequent urination, which might be what you are seeing. They can also cause urine retention and, while none of this is good news, I would rather have a cat who was able to expel the urine. They can also cause urinary tract infections which could cause what you are seeing as well. I am sorry that you are facing this. Absolutely management is necessary and he needs a diaper and pads. If he wears these constantly, which might be necessary, check the condition of the skin as he could get diaper rash which is usually preventable with various ointments. Since he is wearing a diaper, he more than likely would not be able to lick them off.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Do you know for a fact that he has a tumor? If not, those symptoms don't have to be just related to a tumor. They also happen to cats with UTIs, crystals/stones, and/or bladder inflammation, just to name a few urinary tract issues. As I am sure you know, any of the above conditions can cause litter box avoidance. And, the times he does use the litter box might happen because he also has to poop, and he happens to pee at the same time. But, when he only has to pee, he doesn't go to the litter box.

Diapers are one way to go, but to give him more freedom to poop when he wants to, have you considered a belly band - or what they call diaper pull ups which allow a cat to use the litter box for defecating.
Cat Diaper Pull-ups Allow for Defecating in Litterbox (barkertime.com)

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Really good points all around. And, yes, with my dog I used a belly band and not a diaper. Look into them as they might be more what you need.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BluOnyx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I got one of these: Allows to do litter duty with no issues | Etsy

I am using that with panty liners and changing them out every few hours. I am allowing him in certain parts of the house to be without the diaper but when I can't supervise him or he wants full access, I am going to have him in the diaper. He isn't happy about wearing it but this only started today so I think he will get used to it.

Yes, he has a tumor. He is on medication for managing the pain and appetite. Surgery is not an option, neither is chemo. I know the blood is normal. I just wasn't sure if him wetting himself was. I did a bit of research though and it seems that the tumor can interfere with his ability to "hold it in" when he has to go and can result in leaks and wetting.

babiesmom5

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am very sorry your cat has a bladder tumor and can empathize well having just lost a cat to this recently.
Yes, the large bladder mass does restrict flow of urine and his ability to "hold it in". What my Vet prescribed for my cat was 5 mg Prednisolone daily. This was extremely helpful in that it reduced inflammation in the bladder and urethra thus allowing the urine to pass much more easily. The urine clumps were larger and she strained less. Of course, she had to go frequently, but the litterbox was readily accessible. She never "leaked" as she was able to hold it until the litterbox. Please do ask your vet about this.