Can A 17 Week Old Male Kitten Go Into Heat?

Bridget614

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! In the fall I took in a pregnant stray, October 14th she had 5 kittens. We eventually found a home for 4 of the kittens but wanted to keep the mom and one of the babies. The one we bonded with, that we thought was a girl, we found out after bringing it to the vet that it was a boy. Our next step after the vet visit was fixing them both, the mom first, then the baby, which hasn't happened yet but I fear now it might have to happen asap. The kitten is now 17 weeks old and I saw some disturbing behavior the other day. They always roll around and play, but this time the baby kept trying to mount her, bite her neck, and hump her back, which I read that is what they do when they are mating. Now he is too short to reach past her back, but still not something you want since they're mom and son, so when I see this behavior I seperate them. Even before I saw this happen, I heard little yelps(which he barely meows) almost like how cats sound in heat but in a little tiny voice bc he's still so young. So my question is, even though they say male cats don't "mature" until 6 months, is it possible for them to go into heat early? And even after I get them both fixed, is this a behavior I'll still have to worry about? Thank you so much in advance for any advice.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you ever seen a nature show with big cats (lions, tigers) hunting? They mount and bite the neck. Cats of all ages practice this hunting technique and play bite each other. That is all that is going on, you don't need to seperate them or worry. Kittens are so small that its hard for them to get to the neck, so sometimes people get confused and think its sexual. You are not the first, won't be the last. But if it was sexual you would see pelvic thrusting. Six months is indeed time enough for neutering. It can be done earlier by experienced vets, but doesn't need to be.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, the 'baby' is plenty old enough to neuter at 4 months old. Two lbs. is the minimum. Just like humans, some cats mature at different ages. I had my boy Casper neutered at that age along with his mother, much easier because then they have the same smells from the vet that causes fights because they don't recognize the one coming home, and he is now ten years old and fine. The boy is starting to mature and definitely is going to try to mate, he may start spraying too. He may bother mama while she is healing so I strongly encourage you to have them both done at the same time. I have had several little feral girls get pregnant at or right before 6 months, and two have died giving birth so the sooner the better.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The mom is spayed already?

Males don’t go into heat. They are always ready to mate. Cats also don’t have familial associations like we do, so this being mom and son doesn’t register. Regardless, you’ll want to neuter asap.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bridget614

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks guys!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, we had a lot of inbreeding going on here, we had son mate with mother and then mate with a sister from that litter. Needless to say we have a lot of orange and white around here. All are spayed and neutered now!

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I did somehow forget that the mother wasn't yet fixed - definitely changes things! I'm still guessing that the kitten was playing normally, but better safe than sorry!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bridget614

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Have you ever seen a nature show with big cats (lions, tigers) hunting? They mount and bite the neck. Cats of all ages practice this hunting technique and play bite each other. That is all that is going on, you don't need to seperate them or worry. Kittens are so small that its hard for them to get to the neck, so sometimes people get confused and think its sexual. You are not the first, won't be the last. But if it was sexual you would see pelvic thrusting. Six months is indeed time enough for neutering. It can be done earlier by experienced vets, but doesn't need to be.
It did seem like thrusting to me, but I may be wrong, and the mom had her butt up in the air, but
The mom is spayed already?

Males don’t go into heat. They are always ready to mate. Cats also don’t have familial associations like we do, so this being mom and son doesn’t register. Regardless, you’ll want to neuter asap.
No not yet, so Im thinking after everyones advice we just have to fix both of them asap. Like someone said, better safe than sorry

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It did seem like thrusting to me, but I may be wrong, and the mom had her butt up in the air, but

No not yet, so Im thinking after everyones advice we just have to fix both of them asap. Like someone said, better safe than sorry
Yep. Don’t wait!