Camera flash in cat's face...

mr. b

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just bought a digital camera a few days ago. So naturally I wanted to take pictures of my cat. My cat is a 9 year old tabby with green eyes, and the camera i was using was my subcompact Canon SD300 (really small flash). I made sure to turn off the flash as I was taking very close-up shots of my cat's face. However, when I had to change my memory card and turned my camera off to do so the flash reset itself to the ON position. The next thing I know as I'm taking another close-up image of my cat's face, the flash goes off. It went off only a few inches from his face while he was looking directly at the camera. I thought the darned thing was supposed to stay off. Anyways, do you think that I may have damaged my cat's eyes at all? Do you think he's alright? He seems to be seeing alright as he follows my finger with his eyes just fine, but I'm still worried. I thought maybe one of you guys would be able to answer my question.

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi there and first of all welcome to TCS!

I don't think the flash from a camera has any damaging effect on cats eyes at all, although I'm not too sure. Hopefully someone else will be able to give you more help. I do try and avoid the flash when I can, especially on kittens.

Sam.

mikonu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I try not to use the flash when I take photos of the boys. If I want to take their photo at night, I just turn off the flash and make the setting black and white. For me, the photos come out clear and there are no red eyes or weird lighting. I don't think the flash is that harmful.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mr. b

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by WellingtonCats

Hi there and first of all welcome to TCS!

I don't think the flash from a camera has any damaging effect on cats eyes at all, although I'm not too sure. Hopefully someone else will be able to give you more help. I do try and avoid the flash when I can, especially on kittens.

Sam.
Thanks for the welcome!

I should also add the the picture was taken when there was a fair amount of sunlight coming through the window that my cat was sitting in front of, so his pupils were narrowed about as far as they can get.

diane8704

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't think you have anything to worry about. It's probably like our eyes, there may be some discomfort at first, but other than that, I wouldn't worry. You would probably know by now if there was a problem.