Calories

MagdalenaT

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! This is my first post on the site, so my apologies if this has already been answered somewhere. Can someone tell me how many calories a moderately active adult cat should be consuming daily to maintain a good weight?

Here's the background for this question: I have a complicated situation regarding feeding. I have one kitty that has a severe medical condition that requires special food and a feeding schedule, but my other cats are used to having dry food to munch on all day. They also all get wet food twice a day. I want to make sure that they're getting enough to eat. I try to leave some dry out during the day where the one kitty can't go, but they don't all go in there. I also put the dry back out overnight when the "special" kitty is not with them, but they all seem hungry during the day. I've had cats all my life and have never had a situation where they seemed hungry like this. I am monitoring their weight, though, and they're not losing. I just want to know what they actually need so that I know I'm providing it. It disturbs me to think that they might be hungry. Thanks for your help!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The general suggestion is 20 to 25 calories per pound of ideal body weight daily. Some cats may need more or less due to a variety of factors such as age, energy level, breed, etc.

Hoboforeternity

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
the problem i have is there really isn't calorie count in my cat's food label. just % of the macronutrients and moistures/fiber/ etc

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
the problem i have is there really isn't calorie count in my cat's food label. just % of the macronutrients and moistures/fiber/ etc
If you can't find calories on the label, can you do an internet search for that food? Most of the time, doing a search will lead you to sites that sell it and many of those sites will list the calories - it is usually under the "Nutritional Ingredients" or similarly labeled sections.