Calorie and poop questions!

Hannah531

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know I just posted another thread like two days ago so let me know if this isn't allowed, I have new questions. :help:

1. We're now 100% switched off the RX diet (dry and wet) that kitty boy haaated and on a new food (wet only) with better ingredients but he's not eating enough calorie wise... He SHOULD be eating 7 oz of food/day so we broke it up into 3oz at 7am, 2 oz at 4pm and 2oz at 9pm (3 meals because of our schedules and to help balance his pH better) but he's only eating half of each meal.
Toppers were suggested to entice him more but the only thing that works that I've found is crushed up kibble (I'm assuming because of the animal enzymes smell good?) but I'm making sure to use it sparingly, about 1/2 piece of kibble crushed into dust per meal and he's gobbling the wet food up - he just stops half way!
Any suggestions? Right now I work from home but in 5/6 months I won't be anymore so we scheduled it that way preemptively.

2. POOP.
When Koda was on kibble only (Before I learned better, don't come for me) he was pooping once a day.
He had a bout of crystals and we switched him to RX food both dry and wet (With the intention of transitioning him to 100% wet slowly because he was a kibble addict and I didn't want a hunger strike on our hands, again, don't come for me) and he was pooping every other day.
Now, he's on 100% wet food with better ingredients and more moisture and he's only pooping every 3 days. It's normal consistency and color and he doesn't strain so I'm not worried about constipation but is this normal??? Part of it may have to do with the lack of calories I know but I've also heard of poop/poop habits changing when cats switch from kibble to wet.

I also acknowledge that part of this is me in an anxiety induced panic - it's been a rough few months with family stuff, dog stuff and now the cat stuff and it's a lot so I really appreciate this community and how supportive everyone is. :grouphug:

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you take his food away from him when he's done? If so, I would leave it out for him for longer, at least couple of hours. Some cats prefer going back to finish later.
My second suggestion would be to feed more calorie dense food. 7oz sounds like a lot in terms of quantity, with more calorie dense food you'd be able to feed around 5oz, depending on your cat's age and weight. And hopefully the amount of food he'll eat now will be enough for him calorie wise.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hannah531

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Do you take his food away from him when he's done? If so, I would leave it out for him for longer, at least couple of hours. Some cats prefer going back to finish later.
My second suggestion would be to feed more calorie dense food. 7oz sounds like a lot in terms of quantity, with more calorie dense food you'd be able to feed around 5oz, depending on your cat's age and weight. And hopefully the amount of food he'll eat now will be enough for him calorie wise.
I leave it out for 1-2 hours depending on what's going on. The 7am meal is out till 9am when I go to work, the 4pm is out for about an hour (this is the meal he eats the most percentage wise at actually) and 9pm is out till about 10:30 when we go to bed.

I'm having a hard time finding him a food that ticks all the boxes as it is :( His pH needs to be balanced to prevent crystals so he's on a low phosphorus, low magnesium diet (He was on RX diet and he haaaaaaated it and went on a food strike)

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
So is he eating Daves low phos, low magnesium food? And who says he should be eating 7 oz.? Usually the amount of food to eat is actually a caloric amount vs ounces, unless you are getting that amount from the manufacturer, and if so, that's usually overstated ($$).

As to your poop question, both of our cats were still pooping "regularly", but not daily, so I didn't really think anything was wrong, but turns out they were both constipated when they went in for their exams. It really seems like once every three days is too long in between poops, especially if a cat is eating 7 oz per day. (unless it's raw food, which it clearly isn't)

Hannah531

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So is he eating Daves low phos, low magnesium food? And who says he should be eating 7 oz.? Usually the amount of food to eat is actually a caloric amount vs ounces, unless you are getting that amount from the manufacturer, and if so, that's usually overstated ($$).

As to your poop question, both of our cats were still pooping "regularly", but not daily, so I didn't really think anything was wrong, but turns out they were both constipated when they went in for their exams. It really seems like once every three days is too long in between poops, especially if a cat is eating 7 oz per day. (unless it's raw food, which it clearly isn't)
No he’s actually on weruva/BFF (he likes it better) I got the “serving size” be calculating that he needs 250kcal/day and there are 36.8 kcal/oz which is 6.47oz to equal 250kcal.
And he’s not actually eating that much - that’s how much he should be with that math. He’s only ACTUALLY eating 4-5oz or about 175kcal/day.
I calculated calories in oz so I could measure it out better. Is there a better way to figure it?

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
No he’s actually on weruva/BFF (he likes it better) I got the “serving size” be calculating that he needs 250kcal/day and there are 36.8 kcal/oz which is 6.47oz to equal 250kcal.
And he’s not actually eating that much - that’s how much he should be with that math. He’s only ACTUALLY eating 4-5oz or about 175kcal/day.
I calculated calories in oz so I could measure it out better. Is there a better way to figure it?
No, you can calculate it that way using the 20-25 calories per pound of cat. I was just curious. Those foods are notoriously low in calories. You might see if you can find something else that fits the bill that he likes better. I do know that Dave's makes one that fits the parameters, and wonder if you have looked at this chart too: http://www.felinecrf.org/canned_food_usa.htm#canned_usa It's for cats with kidney disease and lists phosphorus, but not magnesium. Do you need to keep that low too? Anyway, you could always check with on the mfg websites to look at magnesium %.

Hannah531

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have not! I’ll
No, you can calculate it that way using the 20-25 calories per pound of cat. I was just curious. Those foods are notoriously low in calories. You might see if you can find something else that fits the bill that he likes better. I do know that Dave's makes one that fits the parameters, and wonder if you have looked at this chart too: http://www.felinecrf.org/canned_food_usa.htm#canned_usa It's for cats with kidney disease and lists phosphorus, but not magnesium. Do you need to keep that low too? Anyway, you could always check with on the mfg websites to look at magnesium %.
I have not! I’ll take a look. I know phosphorus needs to be below 1% (dry matter basis) but the range I think would be appropriate for magnesium would be no more than .08%.
I don’t mind a more calorie rich food I just haven’t been able to find one. There are so SO SO many out there my eyes bleed haha

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I don’t mind a more calorie rich food I just haven’t been able to find one. There are so SO SO many out there my eyes bleed haha
I hear ya! I've had three kidney cats and they notoriously don't want to eat, so I've been through probably hundreds of cans of food with them,using the above chart. And my eyesight isn't what it used to be, which makes it double tough. BUT, we do what we need to for our furbabies

Hannah531

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I hear ya! I've had three kidney cats and they notoriously don't want to eat, so I've been through probably hundreds of cans of food with them,using the above chart. And my eyesight isn't what it used to be, which makes it double tough. BUT, we do what we need to for our furbabies
YES! I don't think Koda has any serious kidney or urinary issues but either way I want to keep his pH in a safe range - I guess as a preventative?

He's, thankfully, not EXTRA picky, just weary of change. and I'm paranoid about the pop thing.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
More the fat the more likely she is to be satisfied. So I feed her dr elseys mostly and tiki for more protein. Calories are the last thing I look at. I feed her 3x a day except morning is 3 small meals since she comes back for more every few minutes. Always exactly half a can in the morning. Phosphorus I am unfamiliar with. My only cat that knows how much she needs and when to stop. I am so jealous!