Calming

Bri1976

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat Chaos is 2yrs old as of January. He is terrified of the weather, not just thunder, but rain also. It doesn’t have to be loud rain either but he’s still scared. And when he’s scared he tries to get out of my room & he tears up the carpet. I need some way to keep him calm during storms even when I’m at work or out of town. I can’t keep my door open bc my step mom hates cats, she just tolerates my two. Any recommendations on what to do/give him???

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Run a calming diffuser in your room and provide him a small dark space, like a box with a hole cut out in one end. You could try some other calming agents like pet version of Rescue Remedy to help, but you would have to know when it was going to rain.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Please don't use a diffuser around cats. Passive diffusers are iffy (meaning it doesn't spray or vaporize the oil but rather is a bowl or container with it that scents the air around it) but an active diffuser that sprays or mists is very dangerous. Not just for cats but also humans really. For cats specifically, their livers don't produce and enzyme yo process oils like humans do. If they are in a room with a diffuser they are inhaling oil, getting it on their fur and then licking it. It ends up being a lot of oil plus any chemicals in that oil. Especially if you aren't using a high quality oil since the cheap oils can have a lot of questionable chemicals.

The recent vaping related illnesses also bring a huge question about the safety of inhaling vapor containing oils in general and its impact on the lungs too, IMO (my cousin was hospitalized and is relearning how to walk right now because of vaping. The leading theory is related to the vaporized oil in the vaping liquid which an oil diffuser is essentially doing the same but less concentrated when you think about it, which means it could have the same impact on sensitive persons or over time).

My crew is sensitive to storms, not to that degree but also scared of them. Playing some music and just being there with them usually gets them through it. If he will tolerate it, you can also try a dog type thunder vest. Or set up a safe space of a cave bed or box he can bide in.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think what was meant by a 'calming diffuser' was a feliway diffuser. That would be a good idea. Also, the hiding place is an excellent idea too. On the days that rain is forecasted, I would leave a radio going a little louder than usual. Anything to mask the sound would help.