Calling My Fellow Curly Haired Friends!

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just for a reference, this is a chart for the different hair types.

My hair ranges from 3B to 4A for curl type, but my hair is also VERY fine.
I have had so much trouble finding appropriate hair care products that I thought I'd ask here.
I have done the mousse and gel in an attempt to keep my curls defined, but I hate the stiffness and crunchy feel. It also dries out my hair, which of course it already is because it's curly.
I only wash my hair once a week, and have (for the last two years) only used cleansing conditioner.
I use sulfate and silicone free products.
I have tried, and still use all sorts of oils (coconut, argan, castor, grapeseed)
I sometimes use, keratin/protein serums (on wash day).
I sleep on satin pillow cases and never "towel dry" my hair.
I use a diffuser on low to no heat to dry my hair. I also have to dry my hair upside down otherwise the weight of my drying hair flattens my roots and it just looks dumb.
I have also tried curl enhancers and volumizers to help with the "flat top".
I've tried pinning my roots too, but it's just a pain in the butt.
I've done curl training, which does work if there is also a lot of product, but it takes SO LONG to do because my hair is quite long)

My biggest issue is I can't seem to get my hair to keep a defined curl (it frizzes) without loading it up with way too much product and oil, which then weighs down my hair because it's so fine. But I have to use products with good hold and weight otherwise, if someone just farts in my direction my curls loose their definition and "separate" (frizz).

What else can I try to get soft and bouncy yet defined curls??
PLEASE HELP ME before I give up and shave my head! JK, I won't do that, but I've seriously been in tears more times than I can count. I have also started suffering from traction alopecia because I consistently keep my hair pulled back, although I did go thru a very stressful time not long ago that I think my have contributed to the hair loss.
I'll admit, that I may just have to resign myself to the fact that I need to cut my hair a bit shorter because it's just too fine to hold any shape at it's current length, but I thought I'd ask first.

Thanks for any input.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jem Jem , I have curly hair issues too, but my hair is medium thick. I use Bumble and Bumble products. Have you tried those? They've made some unfortunate changes in their line the last few years and no longer make some products I really liked that worked with my hair, but I still like them.
MPP - Curl Care

• Purraise
Reactions: Jem

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Why does the picture of the 2A look wavier than the picture of the 2B?

My hair was always at 1, but sometimes I think it's become a bit closer to a 2.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Mine is about a 3C, very thick, waist length. I use products that are specifically for dry hair, but as long as it's cruelty free any brand will do.

I rinse my hair in the shower every morning, put a big dollop of conditioner in and comb all the knots out while wet. Then I towel dry and put another dollop of conditioner in. I don't rinse this out, I just leave it in there all day to control the frizz. I scrunch dry with a towel, hanging upside down. I never use a hair drier or anything heated.

I shampoo maybe once or twice a week, the rest of the time I just use conditioner.

When you rinse your hair use the water as cold as you can stand it. This is good for your hair and improves blood circulation, to stimulate healthy hair growth.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Norachan Norachan - I pretty much do the same as you, comb hair w/ conditioner in shower, add more when I get out, (and oil, and cream and......:rolleyes3:) but I don't scrunch w/ a towel as it causes more frizz for me. I do rinse with colder water as well. And I don't use shampoo at all, ever. I use a homemade cleansing conditioner to wash once a week. I can't let my hair air dry or it will be too flat on top and I end up with the dreaded triangle head, plus it stays wet for way too long and I also have to pull my hair back for work and I hate the feeling of a wet scalp/roots all day. I do put my dryer on low heat (if I'm in a hurry) or no heat and use a diffuser though.
Since I've started to really try and do all the things that curly haired people are supposed to do, my hair has become much better, but it's still not where I want it, I think it can still improve....it HAS to!:gaah:

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My hair can be anything from a 2A to a 3A and sometimes all at once. :hmmm: If I use a blow dryer it will be 97% straight; so that's what I do. I tried plopping it with a t-shirt like a friend of mine with super curly hair; but I didn't stick with it long enough to see if it would encourage it to all curl right. Sometimes just the top layer of my hair curls and then the under layers are various levels of curl. :dunno: It looks like I started styling my hair and quit. :lol2:

I've tried products with argan oil and "smoothing" products like that; but mostly I've given up. They seem to just weigh my hair down and cause buildup. Some felt gross and waxy. I have oily to very oily skin so if I go more than 18 hours between washings its completely obvious. I try to do every other day anyway and just wait till it's 70% dry and then finish with the blow dryer to straighten it out.

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have very straight hair. So I was surprised when I used an olive oil shampoo and conditioner (sold only in Wal-Mart hairstyle salons) that made my hair curly, especially when I let it dry naturally. I believe Regis makes it. It smells like what I describe as Christmas, which is why my SIL said she didn't like using it, but since I am all about the holidays, I'm totally onboard with it.