Calling all knitters and other woolly things.

catloverfromwayback

Servant to the Ofurlords
Top Cat
Purraise
So adorable
I really should try to get some photos when I put the yarn and everything out to resume my practicing but I have to be very fast on my feet unless Sami and Max are napping- Max is quick to take off with the entire balll of yarn and Sami wants the needles to try for himself ,sticking his little paws in there join in at whatever I'm holding...he does it with any ' tools' I'm using..... More of a monkey than a cat
They're Yarn Monsters! (Can't remember who I coined that name for, but it was probably Phoebe.)

catloverfromwayback

Servant to the Ofurlords
Top Cat
Purraise
I hear you about the Arthritis..I identify. Hey, what on earth are those chubbies eating? They are too cute with their chunky cheeks! And I hope this thread goes on for another 18 months!
Daisy looks even rounder than reality there, and Phoebe's not a chonk at all, it's the photo. :lol:

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yarn Monsters. The other day I was knitting and was using a HUGE ball of yarn..I mean HUGE. I bought it purposefully because I hate weaving in those ends for the FO when using small balls. Suddenly I came to the end after using about 2 yards ...turns out one of my little darlings had chewed the strand and I am sure was laughing at me when I discovered it!

catloverfromwayback

Servant to the Ofurlords
Top Cat
Purraise
Yarn Monsters. The other day I was knitting and was using a HUGE ball of yarn..I mean HUGE. I bought it purposefully because I hate weaving in those ends for the FO when using small balls. Suddenly I came to the end after using about 2 yards ...turns out one of my little darlings had chewed the strand and I am sure was laughing at me when I discovered it!
The villain! hope she didn't swallow any.

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The villain! hope she didn't swallow any.
She(Mom) loves to eat everything. Ya think I never feed her. She had one of those animated floppy fish toys, and one night tore off the fins and the face and was dining on a bit of the pillow stuffing. luckily I found most of it and she had normal bowel movements after that.
One night they munched my zinnia seedlings and were drugged for 2 days.(non toxic, but side effects are bruital). ANYTHING the see crawling like an ant on the back porch or ladybug is tormented, watched and munched!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I've found a knitting buddy... I need to try to knit shapes.. I have a mental block about such things. I can do very fancy stitches as long as it's a scarf, blanket or other non-shaped thing. This friend is going to take me in hand and get me to burst that bubble!
Yes, I did start this thread saying I was going to attempt a jumper, and yes, I've not yet done it!:paperbag:

Wish me luck!

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Will I EVER loosen up? I start out nicely and before I know it I'm back to as tight as if it were paint on the needle!

The yarn monsters Bella and Max want the yarn and Sami wants those needles,I was practicing while they nap but Sami hears the cabinet door slide and wakes up excited to knit..... yesterday Sami decided to open the door himself (I know it was him) and then watches Bella take everything out as if he's an innocent bystander

Had to change spot for the knitting stuff :dunno: :angelcat::angelcat::angelcat:

catloverfromwayback

Servant to the Ofurlords
Top Cat
Purraise
I've found a knitting buddy... I need to try to knit shapes.. I have a mental block about such things. I can do very fancy stitches as long as it's a scarf, blanket or other non-shaped thing. This friend is going to take me in hand and get me to burst that bubble!
Yes, I did start this thread saying I was going to attempt a jumper, and yes, I've not yet done it!:paperbag:

Wish me luck!
Excellent!

catloverfromwayback

Servant to the Ofurlords
Top Cat
Purraise
Will I EVER loosen up? I start out nicely and before I know it I'm back to as tight as if it were paint on the needle!

The yarn monsters Bella and Max want the yarn and Sami wants those needles,I was practicing while they nap but Sami hears the cabinet door slide and wakes up excited to knit..... yesterday Sami decided to open the door himself (I know it was him) and then watches Bella take everything out as if he's an innocent bystander

Had to change spot for the knitting stuff :dunno: :angelcat::angelcat::angelcat:
What material are your needles? If they're wood or bamboo they'll be quite grippy, plastic less so and metal can be very slippery, which can help if you're a tight knitter (or when you're using grippy sorts of yarn).

All sorts of things can affect your knitting tension. Just being in a good or bad mood can make a big difference, and that applies to highly experienced knitters as much as novices. Don't stress about it, it's normal! Plus some people are naturally tight and some less so, and that too is fine. There's no right and wrong about it.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
What material are your needles? If they're wood or bamboo they'll be quite grippy, plastic less so and metal can be very slippery, which can help if you're a tight knitter (or when you're using grippy sorts of yarn).

All sorts of things can affect your knitting tension. Just being in a good or bad mood can make a big difference, and that applies to highly experienced knitters as much as novices. Don't stress about it, it's normal! Plus some people are naturally tight and some less so, and that too is fine. There's no right and wrong about it.
Thank you - so I might try some metal needles then,I'm using bamboo.....I must get tense as I go,lol I start put nice and slow,the needle fits in the stitches easily snd then I get faster and faster and tighter and tighter.....yeah,so tight it won't budget off the needle,I have to pull it apart - everytime after alot of rows

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

I had to make such a conscious effort to keep my yarn loose at first. I was so scared that the entire thing was going to slide off the needle I was giving each stitch the death grip. A few times, things did slide off but the looser stitches made sliding it back on so much easier. I think forcing myself to keep the stitches looser helped ME relax a bit!

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Not knitting, but, crafty...does anyone here quilt?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Not knitting, but, crafty...does anyone here quilt?
No, I tried it.. made one quilt. But my feeling is that quilting came from using up old bits of fabric that had not worn away, in clothing etc. I would love to make a quilt based on that. Having said that, I always check out the quilts when I go to craft shows. Some are extraordinary.. especially the ones where people have still hand-quilted. The machine ones are exquisite too, off course, and usually far more intricate. But I love the hands-on things.