Callie

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmarkitell

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello friends,
I wrote a few weeks back about the return of Callie, the feral that has been a project for many years and who recently returned from a 8 month absence. Callie is a male calico and he was much skinnier than when I last saw him before he disappeared. I was overjoyed when he came home and he was VERY friendly, especially since he was always very skittish.
Since Callie returned, he has gone downhill and I wonder if he might have returned to pass away with the only family he has probably ever known. He ate for the first few days but had a lot of crud around his eyes and nose, probably from fleas and stuff. He now refuses to eat and he is getting very thin, with congestion in his lungs. Some days he looks great, other times I don't know if he is going to make it. I don't think I could get him into the vets...the stress would probably be too much for him. I was so overjoyed when he returned, but I'm wondering if he returned for a reason.
On a side note, I petted him and tried to get him to eat, and he suddenly decided to eat some of the food I had put out. I also put out a saucer of milk...I know that milk isn't the first thing you want to give cats, I wanted to get some sort of calories and fluids into him. He still comes running when I call him but I can tell that he is fading. I don't know if it could be Feline Aids or something else. I gave him Revolution a week ago to try to deal with the fleas, but it didn't seem to offer any real improvement. He is also surrounded by flies, which is never a good sign in my experience. He still keeps himself clean, but maybe his infection is giving him an odor that flies like.
On a side note, I spent a lot of time petting Callie tonight and talking to him. I tried wetting my fingers with the milk and getting him to lick them, but no luck. I was about to give up when I decided to try once more and to my surprise, he started eating the wet food and drank some of the milk. A few hours later I tried again but he was hesitant to eat. After spending more time with him, he ate once again. Perhaps I'll have to keep this up until his regular appetite returns...he was always a good eater!
In any event, please send some good vibes my way. I'm hoping he turns the corner, but it doesn't look good at this point. I'd give him antibiotics but he refuses to eat and pilling a feral is pretty tough. Hang in there Callie...we have come too far to part ways so soon. :(

Last edited:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Oh, that is so sad!

I know it's very difficult and stressful to get a feral cat to the vet, but I urge you to try.

A simple blood test would tell whether he has FIV or FeLV or something else. The vet would also be able to treat him for fleas and worms, which would make him a lot more comfortable. When I've taken sick or injured feral cats to the vet they've been given a shot of antibiotics, which means I don't have to struggle with trying to pill them every day. Makes life a lot easier and really helps the cat.

If the vet thinks he is on his way out they could help him pass comfortable. I know it's heartbreaking to let him go, but they don't pass easily on their own. It takes days and they really suffer.

Please jmarkitell jmarkitell , for Callie's sake, take him to the vet.

I hope it's something that can be treated.

:crossfingers::crossfingers::crossfingers::crossfingers::crossfingers:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jmarkitell

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the kind words and advice! I got him to eat twice last night and today he came over to say good morning. After about ten minutes of petting and talking to him, Callie took a few bites of food and drank some milk, so it seems he will eat if you spend enough time with him and encourage him to eat. I'm hoping that he might regain some strength and not be quite as fragile as I think he is.
Cats are great at hiding their illness. I'm hoping that this might just be a cold as he didn't seem to be as congested a few weeks ago and he had a good appetite when he arrived. Maybe, since he can't smell due to stuffed nose, he didn't want to eat, although I would think he would still be hungry. I'll keep everyone posted and try to get him to the vet if possible.

jmarkitell

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello fellow members,

As you might have followed, Callie returned a few weeks ago but was very skinny. Since he returned, he has developed a bad URI and has stopped eating for the most part. I try to get him to eat or drink some milk, but he seems to have given that up too. This morning I checked on him and his nose was bloody...more of a discharge but it is not the normal yellow crusty stuff, but not pure blood either. He has been taking Amoxicillin to try to clear up his URI, but he seems to be losing ground. He is weak but it breaks my heart when he comes over to me and stares me in the eyes and meows.
I'm hoping for the best but it doesn't look good. I want to thank everyone who has chimed in and offered their advice and suggestions. I'll keep everyone up to date...wish luck to Callie.

jmarkitell

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello again,

When I got home from work yesterday, Callie was using the heated cat condo I bought for him several years ago...which he never used. He looked up but did not come out to greet me, which he always does. I came out an hour later and Callie was gone from the cat condo and didn't return. :(
The woods behind my house isn't all that big, but it must be semi magical, as I have had three very rare stray/feral cats come out of it. The first cat, Cleo, was a buff colored female who was the fluffiest and loving cat I have had. It seems the magical woods has a price, however, as Cleo passed away at age 6 of cancer. The second cat, Binks, showed up with a feral playmate, Callie. Binks was socialized and became one of our resident cats...a large black cat that acts like he is going to tear you apart, but is one of the nicest and friendliest cats I've had. The last cat was Callie, who I believe walked into the woods from where they came from and crossed the Rainbow bridge. The magical woods, while magical, seems to recall it's cats after only a few short years...Callie was about 5 or 6. As I mentioned, the woods produces some rare cats. While Cleo was a buff colored female (which is very rare), Callie was a male Calico...also very rare. Many vets have never seen a male calico and I have had two of the rarest cats find me. I have been very fortunate to have had such good luck to find such great cats, although Callie took a few years to allow me to touch him. Despite trying to heal him, I think Callie returned a few weeks back to say goodbye and I'll always remember him. RIP Callie.

jmarkitell

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I hope it's not too late for Callie and you are able to get him to a vet soon.

:crossfingers:
Thank you and everyone who kept Callie in their thoughts. This afternoon I made a more thorough search of my property and found Callie, where he had passed away, curled up like he was sleeping. I'll miss my little buddy and will still expect to see him when I look outside. The vet said he had a URI but he was too feral to get a blood sample without sedating him, which wasn't an option due to his physical condition at the time.
I'll miss you Callie, and someday, when its my turn to walk across the bridge, I'll be reunited with you and all of the other wonderful cats that I have had in my life. What a wonderful day that will be! :cloud9:
Until that day, Thank You for choosing me to be your human. RIP Callie

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I'm so sorry jmarkitell jmarkitell

:alright:

I know how much Callie meant to you. I'm sure it made his life a lot easier, knowing that you were always there to provide him with food and love whenever he needed it. It's so hard with these wilder ones. We want to protect them, but there is only so much they will allow us to do.

It sounds as if Callie passed easily. I'm sure it's what he would have wanted, sleeping under the stars knowing you were close by.

Rest in peace Callie.

You were a special boy and you will be missed.

:angel:

alex134

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
jmarkitell jmarkitell I am so very sorry to learn of Callie's passing. You and he have been on my mind for the last few weeks. He came home to be with you and I am sure was comforted by your presence, your voice, and your kindness. Callie was a beautiful boy, and your words a beautiful tribute to him. RIP precious boy.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
jmarkitell jmarkitell the TCS team would like you to know that we are so very sorry for your loss.

Threads are locked after someone has suffered such a loss, as a sign of respect.

We invite you to place a tribute at our Crossing the Bridge forum as an enduring testimony to your friend.

RIP Callie
:rbheart: :rbheart: :rbheart:

Status
Not open for further replies.