Callie, The Male Calico, Is At Peace

jmarkitell

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Several year ago...maybe more than several, I saw a small calico cat that was very feral and impossible to even get a look at. After a few years, I had made enough progress to be allowed to pet the cat, who I creatively named Callie. Upon closer inspection, I discovered that Callie was a guy. Callie would come and go...disappearing in December and coming back in the Spring. This year Callie didn't come back in the Spring and I thought that maybe he passed away during the cold SW Pennsylvania winter. I had given up on Callie when, about a month ago, Callie re-appeared, like nothing had happened. Callie was pretty thin, however and I began to try to fatten him up and fed him well...a combo of wet and dry food. The first day or two he ate but then began to eat less and less, all the while losing more weight. If I sat and petted him, he would sometimes eat a few bites but only when I petted him. He developed a URI and was given Amoxicillin to clear it up, but it didn't seem to help. Callie was eating and drinking less and less but the vet couldn't do any blood work because he was too feral and too sick to be sedated safely. When I came home from work yesterday, Callie looked up at me from his heated cat condo (it was a little chilly and he enjoyed the warmth) but didn't come out to say hello, something he ALWAYS did. About an hour later, I went out to check on Callie, who had developed a bloody discharge from his nose. When I went out, he was no longer in his cat condo and I had a feeling that he went off to pass away.
Today, after not seeing Callie again, I made a detailed search around my house. I found Callie, curled up like he was sleeping. He had passed away in his sleep it appeared. Callie was a wonderful cat when he finally became somewhat tame around me. When he returned last month , he acted very different and was much friendlier...maybe he came back to pass away with the only family he has ever known, to the best of my knowing. In any event, I will miss you dearly and I look forward to the day when I cross over the bridge myself and hopefully greeted by 60 + years of wonderful furry friends that always seem to leave us too soon. Until that day, RIP Callie, I'll leave a bowl of food out for you. :(

Jim

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As I am only recently learning, building a bond with an outdoor feral cat is certainly a unique and special experience.

You and Callie were fortunate to know each other and to build that special relationship which feral cats do not develop with "just anyone". That makes you a very generous and loving person. I'm sure Callie is grateful to you for all the love and care you gave him over the years. Special little kitty is in peace now and will surely be waiting for you at the bridge. :angel: :grouphug2:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jmarkitell

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your kind words. I just now came back from the woods from which all of my stray and feral cats came from. The patch of woods is probably less than 8 acres...if even that big. There are no colonies of feral cats around but the last 2 or 3 cats that came out of the woods became residents of our household. The woods also becomes the resting place for the furry friends that have passed, so it gives and it takes away, I guess.
Making a relationship with a true feral is a long process which sometimes works, sometimes doesn't...keep up the never-ending patience and eventually you will have a new friend. You might not turn out to be besties, but the relationship will be there and you will learn to appreciate each other. Food is the key to a feral's friendship. If you can get to the point where your feral will eat food with you present, keep your hand near the food so that he/she has to brush against your habd to get the food. A slow head rub and you will have made a great milestone. Good Luck!!

Jim

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry for your loss, but he knew love in this life thanks to you, Bless you for taking care of him and the others the best that you can, like you said and know it is not easy, some of them become domesticated some stay wild.
So sorry you lost your boy, I hope your heart heals a bit each day, God Bless....:alright: :grouphug: :rbheart:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bless your heart for taking care of those woodland felines, you will be greatly rewarded for your kindness when the time comes. Thank you for letting us know of this little boy, the worst to happen is to die alone, unloved and unwanted. I'm sure he came back to where he knew he was loved, he knew you would be there for him and give him a proper goodbye.
Callie would never want to be a cause of sadness in your life, he would want you to remember him in happier times, and use the bond you formed with him to comfort yourself. He lived his life as he wanted, a free spirit that shared your life's path because he loved you and he knew that you would be there in his times of need. But his path wandered, and now he follows a new path, one that will be tied to yours for eternity through love.
I know the void they create in our lives when they leave us, it is filled by our precious memories and knowing that they wait for us at the end of the road. Take care, I'll keep you both in my thoughts and prayers.........RIP beautiful Callie. You left a mark in this world and on the heart of someone who will never forget you. Your new path will be filled with adventure and sunshine, may you forever be the free spirit you loved to be so much. Goodnight, sleep tight, sweet Prince!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jmarkitell

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Bless your heart for taking care of those woodland felines, you will be greatly rewarded for your kindness when the time comes. Thank you for letting us know of this little boy, the worst to happen is to die alone, unloved and unwanted. I'm sure he came back to where he knew he was loved, he knew you would be there for him and give him a proper goodbye.
Callie would never want to be a cause of sadness in your life, he would want you to remember him in happier times, and use the bond you formed with him to comfort yourself. He lived his life as he wanted, a free spirit that shared your life's path because he loved you and he knew that you would be there in his times of need. But his path wandered, and now he follows a new path, one that will be tied to yours for eternity through love.
I know the void they create in our lives when they leave us, it is filled by our precious memories and knowing that they wait for us at the end of the road. Take care, I'll keep you both in my thoughts and prayers.........RIP beautiful Callie. You left a mark in this world and on the heart of someone who will never forget you. Your new path will be filled with adventure and sunshine, may you forever be the free spirit you loved to be so much. Goodnight, sleep tight, sweet Prince!
Thank you for that most beautiful post...that's one of the nicest things anyone has said to me in nearly 60 years. Over the years, I would find myself always with an eye out for Callie's return when he would take his vacation in the winter...I never did find out where he went, but he did the same disappearing act every year. I still catch myself looking outside for a glimpse of Callie. Now after years of watching and waiting, I need to remind myself that Callie isn't coming back this time and there is no need to stare outside waiting for my Calico little buddy to come out of the woods again. Thank you again for the beautiful post, I'm honored.

Jim

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Callie, dream you deep. You have left your pawprints on your caretaker's heart.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jim, don't stop watching for Callie. His spirit, the very 'essence' of him will still wander those wooded paths he loved so very much. His spirit is free now, his wandering knows no bounds. His purrs will reach you on the rumblings of a summer storm, his kiss will find you on the warm summer breeze. His love will surround your heart with every memory you have of him.