Welcome to The Cat Site
your cat community
Interact with our community

California To Be Split Into 3 States On November Ballot

Discussion in 'IMO: In My Opinion' started by donutte, Jun 13, 2018.

1. donutte

donutte Thread Starter Professional cat sitter extraordinaire! Top Cat

Apr 22, 2015
    Northern suburbs of Chicago
    This is ridiculous! Can't post link from phone...

2. denice

denice Advisor Staff Member Advisor

Feb 7, 2006
    Columbus OH
    California started a system awhile back where it is real easy to put anything on the ballot. I remember that was causing money issues because people would vote for things without the accompanying vote to pay for it.

xlpooper purraised this.

3. xlpooper

xlpooper TCS Member Top Cat

Mar 8, 2007
    South
    They said even if passed it would be years to be instituted and would have to go to Congress first. I didn't realize Congress had of ok something like that.

4. Kieka

Kieka Snowshoe Servant Staff Member Forum Helper

Sep 6, 2016
    Southern California
    It won't happen.

Even if California voted to split, which is highly unlikely, it wouldn't get through Congress.

But I don't think many people will vote for it. The way the boundaries are drawn up would be one major problem. They divided LA from the Inland Empire which would create a HUGE economic problem for people and businesses.

I work almost on the line between the two "states". Where the boundary is drawn makes no sense. My company has operations on both sides of the proposed state boundaries. The freeways are packed every day with people who commute from LA to the Inland Empire living in one and working in the other. No one living in this area would support it due to the headache of living and working in different states for taxes not to mention businesses with operations on both sides. Just a logistical nightmare to manage accounting, legal issues, etc.

5. donutte

Apr 22, 2015
    I know there's always people suggesting the Chicago area should be split into its own state. Just as ridiculous.

6. Willowy

Willowy TCS Member Top Cat

Mar 1, 2009
    South Dakota
    Honestly I don't think it would be the worst idea in the world, but I think it would need years and years of planning to pull it off without causing a huge disaster. Not really something that should be on the ballot at this point.

They can put all kinds of crazy stuff on the ballot, I don't think it'll ge anywhere though.

7. doomsdave

doomsdave TCS Member Top Cat

Dec 2, 2016
    California
    Pure, total whackadoodlery.

8. donutte

Apr 22, 2015
    "whackadoodlery"

My favorite new word of the year.

9. doomsdave

doomsdave TCS Member Top Cat

Dec 2, 2016
    California
    It's getting very very heavy use lately, with no end in sight. :creampersian:

betsygee purraised this.

10. DreamerRose

DreamerRose TCS Member Top Cat

Dec 11, 2015
    Naperville, IL
    IDK about three states, but northern and southern California are very different and have different needs. They might be better off being separate states.

11. donutte

Apr 22, 2015
    They wanna split off LA just like folks wanna split off Chicago from IL.

12. denice

denice Advisor Staff Member Advisor

Feb 7, 2006
    Columbus OH
    I saw the wealthy guy that is pushing this on TV and he didn't make a lot of sense, he used Donald Trump logic. He said that California is the most heavily taxed state and still has lousy public services. He said what we are doing isn't working so lets try something else.

13. vyger

vyger TCS Member Alpha Cat

Jun 24, 2017
    Northeast Montana
    There were ideas of splitting Montana into 2 states years ago. The eastern plains part is very different from the mountainous western part. They felt the sparsely populate eastern part was an economic drain because it required so much infrastructure in comparison to the population. Although the eastern part does provide much of the agriculture some didn't view it as being worthy of the rest of the states resources. Then an amazing thing happened, the Bakun oil field in the east was taped and oil started flowing out and generating huge state tax revenues. Most of that now goes to the rest of the state. They are trying to get lays passed that will allow the eastern part to retain some of the money for schools and such. And of course some in the east are now talking about splitting the state again, this time because the eastern part has become more prosperous than the rest and would be better off financially without supporting the rest of the state. Nobody is ever happy as long as they keep looking at the other guys stuff and wanting some of it.

14. Willowy

Willowy TCS Member Top Cat

Mar 1, 2009
    South Dakota
    Yeah, there's always someone floating the idea of splitting South Dakota into East River and West River. Cowman vs Farmer, like in "Oklahoma!". I suppose it wouldn't be a disaster; both sides have economic advantages, but I don't think there would be a lot of benefit to it either.