Calico? Tortie? Tabby?

eetoad

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We often get comments on our new kittens coat asking us what kind of cat she is. Even the vet wasn’t entirely sure. She was listed as a calico when we adopted her but she doesn’t look like a traditional cali. Any idea what she is? Could she be mixed with something?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I would go with torbie, which is a color not a breed; a tortiseshell with tabby striping. Tortiseshell being a cat with black and red primarily, some white at times.

Torbies and Torties

Breed would be domestic short hair. Most modern cats are domestic with no purebred ancestry. The idea of cats being a breed other than just cat is historically newer and there just isn't enough actual purebred lines or cats out there to assume a significant portion of the population is something other than the very lovely and spunky domestic cat breed. We do have a massive amount of lookalikes but since more purebreds are refinements of naturally occurring looks you can find those looks anywhere else in the cat world.

So when you get the question of what kind of cat she is, she is a beautiful perfect domestic cat. Her coat is a lovely mix of red, black and a touch of white with a tabby patterning; torbie.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

eetoad

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would go with torbie, which is a color not a breed; a tortiseshell with tabby striping. Tortiseshell being a cat with black and red primarily, some white at times.

Torbies and Torties

Breed would be domestic short hair. Most modern cats are domestic with no purebred ancestry. The idea of cats being a breed other than just cat is historically newer and there just isn't enough actual purebred lines or cats out there to assume a significant portion of the population is something other than the very lovely and spunky domestic cat breed. We do have a massive amount of lookalikes but since more purebreds are refinements of naturally occurring looks you can find those looks anywhere else in the cat world.

So when you get the question of what kind of cat she is, she is a beautiful perfect domestic cat. Her coat is a lovely mix of red, black and a touch of white with a tabby patterning; torbie.
I had never heard of the term “torbie” before! I think that description fits her perfectly :)

tinydestroyer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I agree! I have a tortie myself, but yours would be a torbie because of the tabby pattern showing up distinctly. Such a beautiful girl!

FutureCatLadyofAmerica

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 6 month old red torbie we named Cinnabun. Had never seen a cat like that before in my life. Even the vet said she was strikingly unique when I brought her in. Found her wandering the streets at 6was old hungry and freezing, sneezing with a big cyst on the top of her head. Got her all fixed up, cyst removed, healthy and happy as can be. Really the best cat I've ever had!

Attachments

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's a torbie for sure also known as a brown patched tabby. A patched tabby is a brown/grey tabby with orange markings. They can come in many different colors and markings which makes them so pretty and unique. My first cat was a torbie, as you can see she had lots and lots of orange in her and the only tabby markings were on her paws and face. Why new torbie as you can see is quite different, she's grey with light orange. She is stunning by the way!! I am such a sucker for a torbie!

20180418_172113(0).jpg
2020-04-08 14.02.00.jpg

Attachments