Calico Snowshoe

cat lover12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know that I have a calico snowshoe, but I wanted to know how to get a calico snowshoe? is she a mix breed of calico and siamese or does it take a calico snowshoe to get one?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I guess I don't know what a calico snowshoe would look like. Do you have a pic?

To get a calico, one parent had to contribute the red coloring and one parent the black coloring. I'm sure a Siamese could produce a calico kitten (actually I know it, because my first kitty was a calico, born to a seal-point Siamese mother bred by a red and white stray tom), but I don't know how the snowshoe gene works.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your Snowshoes papers will tell you what colour the parents are, or just ask your breeder.

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your Snowshoes papers will tell you what colour the parents are, or just ask your breeder.
And if she isn't registered, she isn't a snowshoe.

(The correct term would be a tortie, not a calico. We're talking about a pointed cat here so even with the white they are not called calicos).

On a side note, Snowshoes do not look like Siamese. It's a major fault if you're trying to show or breed the cat.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

cat lover12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
dont know about any of that...our vet said she was a calico snowshoe but we do NOT have the parents, I think I mIGHT possibly know what the mother was but not for sure...my lab dog was protecting Nala(calico snowshoe) from our neighbors dog because my dog just LOVES cats especially kittens! i know this sounds wacko, but my mom watched my dog go up to this stray kitten that was in our yard and guard it from our neighbors dog...he did that untill mom realized it was a little kitten he was protecting and mom went and got her......so anyways, my dog brought me the kitten, not a breeder.....I WOULD breed Nala with my cat otis cuz they just LOVE eachother...but mom took Nala to the vet as soon as she was old enough and got her fixed :( ....  but we were thinking on getting a calico snowshoe for outside and i didnt know how to get another

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Then she's not a Snowshoe, she's a domestic shorthair.

but we were thinking on getting a calico snowshoe for outside and i didnt know how to get another
You can google for a breeder, or try the TICA, CFA, ACFA, FBRL sites. Though breeders do insist on cats being kept indoors!

cat lover12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
well, i might be a while but tonight im going to try to post a pic of my Nala...middle name is Lofonda, Nala Lofonda! LOL

cat lover12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
its not the best pic imll post but its the only one i have at this present moment

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I WOULD breed Nala with my cat otis cuz they just LOVE eachother...but mom took Nala to the vet as soon as she was old enough and got her fixed :( ....  but we were thinking on getting a calico snowshoe for outside and i didnt know how to get another
Your mom did the right thing. It's not a good idea to breed a cat with an unknown ancestry, you'd have no information about the cats health for example and there are a lot of moggies around already. It is very expensive to breed cats and care for the kittens, and if the will to breed the cats was to produce others that look like her, it would be very difficult if you don't know anything about genetics.

Snowshoe is a very rare breed, so finding a breeder might take a while, and breeders don't sell their cats to people who'll let them outside.

I've added in the sales contract that the kitten is not allowed to go outside unless it's harness trained and walks on a leash or if there's a cat-proof enclosure for it.

The kitty in the pic looks like a tortie point with white (domestic shorthair, not s snowshoe).

Last edited:

nerdrock

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I see you're in Ontario... are you around London? If so, then it's definitely possible! 

How old is your kitty? Mine will be 2 around April. 

cat lover12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
wow they DO look alike! so anyone know what she is?

cat lover12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
oh and btw, when Nala was a kitten she had medium length hair and looked Kinda Sorta like a long haired siamese...with no oily coloured spots on her like now

nerdrock

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I got Leiki when she was about 10 months old, so I'm not sure what she looked like as a kitten. 

We were told by the man that we got her from that he got her from a friend that breeds siamese cats and that he was given her because of her pattern - they didn't think she would sell. I don't know if he was lying or not, it didn't matter to us and he knew that. She has a lot of the siamese characteristics, so we just say she's a siamese mix most of the time.

cat lover12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
well, I'm in AR, and Nala will be 3 around the late May or early June

danette smith

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a calico snowshoe she is a rescue from petsmart her dad was a snowshoe and her mom was a calico her name is oatmeal and she is the most loving cat I have ever seen she has dog like tendancies gives kisses ,rolls over on her back for tummy rubs, hugs with all her body, and purrs like no other.  She is every color white, brown, orange, yellow, black and she has the most beautiful  blue eyes.  I will try to send a picture of her she has a companion King Charles Cavilier whose name is Madison, they are so loving with one another so cute to watch them. 

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a calico snowshoe she is a rescue from petsmart her dad was a snowshoe and her mom was a calico
If that is the case, you do not have a snowshoe. You have a domestic shorthair. Snowshoes come only from snowshoe x snowshoe breeding and they need to be registered in order to be called a snowshoe. Her mother was a calico what? *insert breed or no breed (dsh/dlh) here* 

This board seems to be surprisingly full of "snowshoes".. They are a very rare breed, a random colorpoint cat with white is not a snowshoe! (I don't know any breeders, we probably don't have any in this country).