Calicivirus

parisinthe30sx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi. So I've been doing TNR for a few weeks at my husbands workplace, one kitty I'm trying to find a home for is incredibly friendly so I couldn't just release her back. She was spayed (was pregnant though not far along) and within a week of her surgery she started to get a sore on her noes. The other cats taken to rescue from the same location are all fine and healthy. She (Lucy) seems to be doing much better, her noes is healing. She never had any ulcers in her throat or tongue, the only thing she had was a slight fever for a few days and the nose sore. The rescue I'm working with says that maybe she has the calicivirus, my vet says she doubts it. My question is this, if it was the calicivirus, will she never be able to be adopted out? The rescue isn't willing to take her if she has it. I have her in my bathroom away from my personal cats and I'm praying neither of them contract it if indeed it is the virus. I'm at a loss on what to do with her now. Does this mean she will always be contagious and no rescue will take her? She's so sweet, 8 months old full of energy and deserves a loving home. Does anyone have experience with this kind of virus?
20170515_221934_HDR.jpg

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
BAsically I'm bumping this up for you. I don't have any experience with this, but don't see why once she's healed, she cannot then be vaccinated and adopted out. I would think as long as any other cat she is around has also been vaccinated, everything should be ok, but as I said, I don't have any experience with this, and can't find much on the topic, other than that's it's part of the vaccination process.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
The vaccination is not 100% effective be that as it may, I see no reason she could not be adopted out as a special needs cat into a single cat home.