Calculating Dry Matter

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's not that easy because the chicken itself has moisture. Is it raw chicken or do you cook it? If it’s raw, you can look up % moisture from USDA database. If you’re cooking it, then 🤷‍♂️. Because you just don’t know how much moisture is lost to cooking/evaporation even if you retain the liquids.

What is your end goal for calculating DM? Maybe we can figure out another way to get there. Like the USDA database for nutrition facts.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

P+P's Meom

What if I don't want to stay calm?
Adult Cat
Purraise
The chicken is cooked . . .
The nutrient chart I use shows that the Vit. A in my chicken-only recipe content is very low - Like only 15% of the AAFCO recommendation. I know Vit. A can be dangerous if over supplemented, so I don't want to just toss some in.

{This chart is from Alnutrin's site}
Nutrient chart.jpg

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How come you didn't add liver? That should be included per Alnutrin instructions. That will be your Vitamin A source.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have Vit. A tablets. I'm trying to figure out how much to add.
I can’t tell you. I’m hoping mschauer mschauer can comment.

Otherwise maybe figure out how much Vit A is in the Alnutrin recommended amount of liver. A couple things I don’t know is the bioavailability and what form of Vit A to use in tablets as cats are meant to get their A from animals. I don’t know whether a pill would have the right form.

Until you can get your recipe complete and adequate, I recommend hedging your bets by also feeding canned.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Using your recipe of 1 lb stewed chicken breast, 1.6 c water and 9.1 g of Alnutrin, I calculate you would need to add 200 mcg of a vitamin A supplement to meet the AAFCO recommended 5000 IU. I would add 400 mcg of supplemental vitamin A for a safe margin of error. There would be no danger of exceeding the safe upper limit of 750,000 IU.

If you need further help just let me know!