Recipes - Cakes And Other Baked Desserts

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I made this instead of my grandmother's much more complicated Cassatta recipe (traditional Italian Easter cheesecake), and it's divine.  I worked out what proportion sized slice would work with my diet :)

from the "Into the Sauce" cookbook by Buca di Beppo

Torta di Ricotta

2 pounds fresh ricotta cheese
2/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup flour
4 eggs
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 teaspoons orange zest
1/4 cup candied fruit.

Preheat oven to 300 degrees.  Butter and flour a 9-inch springform pan.  In a large bowl, stir the cheese with a spatula until smooth.  In another bowl, mix the sugar and flour. Stir mixture into the cheese until well blended. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing gently.  Gently stir in the cinnamon, vanilla, orange zest and candied fruit.

Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and bake for about 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until lightly golden blrown and almost firm in the center.  Transfer the cake to a rack.  When completely cold, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until serving time. Remove the sides of the pan and transfer to a platter for serving.
Serves 10 to 12.

This has a remarkably smooth texture, more so than you might expect for a ricotta based cheesecake.  Enjoy!

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Whipped Peanut Butter Frosting

For the Thickener:

1 cup milk

1/4 cup flour

1/8 teaspoon salt

Before you even bake the cake, cook the above ingredients together until thickened, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and place plastic wrap directly onto the surface of the mixture, pressing down right onto the mixture. This will prevent the formation of "skin". Let cool. Go ahead and bake the cake of your choice and cool. (For a delicious chocolate cake, I recommend Hershey's Perfectly Chocolate Chocolate Cake, which can be found on the back of the Hershey's Cocoa can.)

For the Frosting:

1 stick butter or margarine

1/2 cup Crisco

1 cup sugar

2 teaspoons vanilla

1 cup peanut butter

Blend butter, Crisco, and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the cooled thickener and the vanilla and beat well. Add the peanut butter and beat until fluffy.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Courgette (zucchini) Tea Loaf.  OK, this one's from my youth. My mum used to make it when we had too many courgettes (zuccinni) from the garden and we'd all started screaming when she said it was ratatouille for tea. 
  There's an even better chocolate version but I haven't got a copy of that recipe unfortunately. 
  She got it out of a local paper in the 1970s....

Courgette (zucchini) Tea Loaf

3 eggs

7 fl oz sunflower oil (or similar light tasting oil)

10 oz sugar

3 tsp vanilla essence

1 lb courgette peeled and grated

12 oz self raising flour

1 tsp salt

3 tsp cinnamon

2 tsp bicarbonate of soda

1/4 tsp baking powder

2 oz raisins

2 oz chopped walnuts

Beat the sugar, eggs, oil and courgettes together.

Sift the flour, salt, baking powder, bicarb', and cinnamon together and then add to the egg mix.

Add the vanilla essence, nuts and raisins and mix gently together.

Pour the mix in to a greased loaf tin.

Bake in a HOT oven  (200C)

Cool and eat... Very yummy, sticky cake that's even better with a bit of butter on, or top it with frosting like carrot cake!!!

Last edited:

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Was at my mom's today and she had the Chocolate Courgette (Zucchinni) Cake recipe.

10 oz self raising flour

2 oz cocoa powder

2 1/2 tsp baking powder

1 1/2 tsp baking soda

1 tsp salt

1 tsp cinnamon

6 oz margarine

13 oz sugar

3 eggs

2 tsp vanilla essence

2 tsp grated orange peel

1 lb grated, peeled and coarsely grated courgette

4 fl oz milk

2 oz chopped walnuts

Mix margarine and sugar together until smooth.

Add eggs, one at a time. 

Stir in vanilla essence, orange peel and grated courgettes.

Separately mix together the flour, cocoa powder, soda, salt, baking powder and cinnamon, then add to the courgette and egg mixture.

Add milk and chopped nuts.

Grease and flour a loaf tin. Bake for 1 hour at 350 degrees F or until done (skewer in to middle should be greased but not sticky)

Cool for 15 minutes in the tin before turning out on to cooling rack.

Once cool, glaze with a mixture of powdered sugar, vanilla flavouring and milk.  (or you could top with cream cheese frosting) 

BEST EVER USE FOR COURGETTES 

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Old Fashioned Bread Pudding

6 slices bread, crusts trimmed

2 tablespoons melted butter or margarine

2 tablespoons, plus ½ cup sugar, divided

1 teaspoon cinnamon

½ cup seedless raisins, optional

4 eggs, slightly beatened

2 cups milk

1 teaspoon vanilla

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 1-1/2 quart baking dish with nonstick spray. Brush the bread slices with melted butter, then sprinkle with the two tablespoons of sugar. Cut each slice into quarters and arrange in layers in the prepared dish. Sprinkle each layer with raisins.

To the beaten eggs, add ½ cup sugar, the milk, and the vanilla. Pour over the bread and raisin layers. (Once the mixture is poured over the bread, I take a fork and submerge the bread into the mixture a bit.)

Set the baking dish in a 13 x 9-inch cake pan filled with one inch of hot water. Carefully put pan into the oven. Bake 55 to 60 minutes or until an inserted knife comes out clean. Serve warm or cold.

Note: I usually use more than the 2 tablespoons of sugar to sprinkle onto the buttered bread. And I double the amount of cinnamon. I do not recommend nonfat milk for this recipe, but 2% milk would be OK. Nonfat milk tends to make the custard a bit runny.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
New York-Style Crumb Cake
(Source: Cook’s Illustrated, May 2007)

Note:  Do not substitute all-purpose flour for the cake flour, as doing so will make a dry, tough cake. If you can’t find buttermilk, you can substitute an equal amount of plain, low-fat yogurt. When topping the cake, take care to not push the crumbs into the batter. This recipe can be easily doubled and baked in a 13 by 9-inch baking dish. If doubling, increase the baking time to about 45 minutes. Cooled leftovers can be wrapped in plastic wrap and stored at room temperature for up to 2 days.

Crumb Topping

1/3 cup granulated sugar (2-2/3 ounces)
1/3 cup dark brown sugar (2-2/3 ounces)
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon table salt
8 tablespoons unsalted butter (1 stick), melted and still warm
1-3/4 cups cake flour (7 ounces)

Cake:

1-1/4 cups cake flour (5 ounces)
1/2 cup granulated sugar (3-1/2 ounces)
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon table salt
6 tablespoons unsalted butter (3/4 stick), cut into 6 pieces, softened but still cool
1 large egg
1 large egg yolk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/3 cup buttermilk
Confectioners’ sugar for dusting

FOR THE TOPPING: Whisk sugars, cinnamon, salt, and butter in medium bowl to combine. Add flour and stir with rubber spatula or wooden spoon until mixture resembles thick, cohesive dough; set aside to cool to room temperature, 10 to 15 minutes.

FOR THE CAKE: Adjust oven rack to upper-middle position and heat oven to 325 degrees F. Cut 16-inch length parchment paper or aluminum foil and fold lengthwise to 7-inch width. Spray 8-inch square baking dish with nonstick cooking spray and fit parchment into dish, pushing it into corners and up sides; allow excess to overhang edges of dish.

In bowl of standing mixer fitted with paddle attachment, mix flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt on low speed to combine. With mixer running at low speed, add butter one piece at a time; continue beating until mixture resembles moist crumbs, with no visible butter chunks remaining, 1 to 2 minutes. Add egg, yolk, vanilla, and buttermilk; beat on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 1 minute, scraping once if necessary.

Transfer batter to baking pan; using rubber spatula, spread batter into even layer. Break apart crumb topping into large pea-sized pieces and spread in even layer over batter, beginning with edges and then working toward center. Bake until crumbs are golden and wooden skewer inserted into center of cake comes out clean, 35 to 40 minutes. Cool on wire rack at least 30 minutes. Remove cake from pan by lifting parchment overhang.

Dust with confectioners’ sugar just before serving. Serves 8 to 10.

Last edited:

meowmyoftwo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Apple-Cinnamon Bundt Cake

INGREDIENTS

• 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted
  • 1 1/2 cups packed light-brown sugar
  • 4 large eggs
  • 6 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and sliced 1/4 inch thick
  • 1 cup confectioners' sugar
  • 1 to 2 tablespoons water

DIRECTIONS

1. STEP 1

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Make the cake: In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cinnamon, baking powder, salt, and baking soda.
  2. STEP 2

In a large bowl, combine butter, brown sugar, and eggs. Whisk until smooth. Gradually whisk in dry ingredients just until combined (do not overmix). Using a rubber spatula, fold in apples. Spoon batter into a 12-cup nonstick Bundt pan, and smooth top. Bake until a tester inserted in cake comes out clean, 50 to 60 minutes. Cool in pan on rack 15 minutes; invert onto rack to cool completely.
  3. STEP 3

Make the Glaze: Whisk together confectioners' sugar and enough water to form a thick yet pourable glaze. Set rack with cake over a piece of wax paper (for easy cleanup); drizzle cake with glaze, and let set before serving.
This is one of my husband's favorite desserts. Enjoy 

meowmyoftwo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Another one!

Cream Cheese and Poppy Seed (Miniature) Cakes

Ingredients

1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened, plus more for molds

1 1/2 cups cake flour (not self-rising), plus more for molds

1/2 teaspoon coarse salt

1 1/3 cups granulated sugar

3 large eggs, plus 3 large egg yolks

1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract

3/4 cup whipped cream cheese, room temperature

3 tablespoons confectioners' sugar, plus more for dusting

1 teaspoon poppy seeds

1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Butter twelve 3 1/2-inch brioche molds or a standard 12-cup muffin tin. Dust with flour; tap out excess.

2. Whisk flour and salt in a medium bowl. Put butter and granulated sugar into the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment; cream on medium speed until light and fluffy. Mix in eggs and yolks, 1 at a time. Add vanilla and 1 1/2 teaspoons water; mix until combined. Reduce speed to low. Add flour mixture; mix until just combined, scraping down sides as needed. Spoon 1/3 cup batter into each mold.

3. Beat cream cheese and confectioners' sugar in the clean bowl of the electric mixer on low speed until creamy and combined. Spoon 1 tablespoon mixture onto batter in each mold; sprinkle with poppy seeds. Bake until a cake tester comes out clean, about 25 minutes. Let cool 5 minutes; transfer cakes to a wire rack to cool completely.

4. Serve dusted with confectioners' sugar.

karrecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I originally posted this one in the "What are you craving?" thread for Tammat:

Buttery Vanilla Shortbread

Ingredients

1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour

1/4 cup sugar

Pinch of salt

1 stick unsalted butter, melted

1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Steps
  1. Preheat the oven to 350°. In a food processor, combine the flour, sugar and salt. Add the butter and vanilla and pulse until evenly moistened. Turn the crumbs out onto a large piece of parchment paper and press into a disk.
  2. Cover with another sheet of parchment paper and roll out the dough to a rough 8-by-11-inch rectangle. Discard the top sheet of parchment. Trim the edges to form a 7-by-10-inch rectangle. Slide the dough along with the parchment onto a large baking sheet. Using a straight edge and a sharp knife, score the dough into 24 bars. Poke the dough all over with a fork and freeze until firm, about 10 minutes.
  3. Bake the dough until golden, about 25 minutes. While the shortbread is still warm, cut it into bars. Let cool before serving.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Chocolate Trifle

Makes 12 servings

Ingredients

1 (19.8 oz) package brownie mix (or homemade- I use store bought)

1 (3.9 oz) package instant chocolate pudding mix (or homemade, again)

1/2 cup water

1 (14 oz) can sweetened condensed milk

1 (8 oz) container frozen whipped topping, thawed

1 (12 oz) container frozen whipped topping, thawed

1 (1.5 oz) chocolate candy- Hershey's Milk Chocolate produces great results.

Steps
  1. Prepare brownie mix according to package directions and cool completely. Cut into 1 inch squares.
  2. In a large bowl, combine pudding mix, water and sweetened condensed milk. Mix until smooth, then fold in 8 ounces whipped topping until no streaks remain.
  3. In a trifle bowl or glass serving dish, place half of the brownies, half of the pudding mixture and half of the 12 ounce container of whipped topping. Repeat layers. Shave chocolate onto top layer for garnish. Refrigerate 8 hours before serving.
​_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Chocolate Eclair Dessert

Makes 1 9x13 inch pan

Ingredients

• 2 individual packages  graham crackers

• 2 (3 ounce) packages  instant vanilla pudding mix

• 3 cups  milk

• 1 (8 ounce) container  frozen whipped topping, thawed

• 1 (16 ounce) package-prepared chocolate frosting​​

• Steps
  • 1. Line the bottom of a 9x13-inch pan with graham crackers.
  • 2. In a large bowl, combine pudding mix and milk; stir well. Mix whipped topping into pudding mixture. Spread half of mixture over graham cracker layer. Top with another layer of graham crackers and the remaining pudding.
  • 3. Top all with a final layer of graham crackers and frost with chocolate frosting. Refrigerate at least two hours before serving to allow the graham crackers to soften.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
SHOO FLY CAKE

4 cups flour
1 cup butter or margarine, chilled (do not use soft or whipped margarine)
2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda dissolved in 2 tablespoons very hot water
1 cup molasses (I use dark molasses; use what you have on hand)
2 cups water
1 teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C).

Combine flour, sugar, and salt. Cut in butter until crumbly. Reserve one cup crumbs for topping.

To the remaining crumbs, add 2 cups water, molasses, and hot water-soda mixture. Mix thoroughly.

Pour into greased 13 x 9-inch pan. Sprinkle with reserved crumbs. Bake 40 to 45 minutes.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
STRAWBERRY DREAM CAKE

For the Cake:

10 ounces frozen whole strawberries (2 cups)

3/4 cup whole milk, room temperature

6 large egg whites, room temperature

2 teaspoons vanilla extract

2-1/4 cups (9 ounces) cake flour

1-3/4 cups (12-1/4 ounces) granulated sugar

4 teaspoons baking powder

1 teaspoon salt

12 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into 12 pieces and softened

For the Frosting:

10 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened

2-1/4 cups (9 ounces) confectioners' sugar

12 ounces cream cheese, cut into 12 pieces and softened

Pinch salt

8 ounces fresh strawberries , hulled and sliced thin (about 1-1/2 cups)

Directions:

Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 350 degrees.

Grease two 9-inch round cake pans, line bottoms with parchment, grease parchment, and flour.

Transfer strawberries to bowl, cover, and microwave until strawberries are soft and have released their juice, about 5 minutes (you may need to microwave about 7 minutes).

Place in fine-mesh strainer set over small saucepan. Firmly press fruit dry (juice should measure at least 3/4 cup); reserve strawberry solids for the frosting.

Bring juice to boil over medium-high heat and cook, stirring occasionally, until syrupy and reduced to 1/4 cup, 6 to 8 minutes (It may take longer, but keep a close eye on it). Whisk milk into juice until combined.

Whisk strawberry- milk, egg whites, and vanilla in bowl. Using stand mixer fitted with paddle, mix flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt on low speed until combined.

Add butter, 1 piece at a time, and mix until only pea-size pieces remain, about 1 minute. Add half of milk mixture, increase speed to medium-high, and beat until light and fluffy, about 1 minute.

Reduce speed to medium-low, add remaining milk mixture, and beat until incorporated, about 30 seconds. Give batter final stir by hand.

Scrape equal amounts of batter into prepared pans and bake until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 20 to 25 minutes, rotating pans halfway through baking.

Cool cakes in pans on wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove cakes from pans, discarding parchment, and cool completely, about 2 hours. (Cooled cakes can be wrapped with plastic wrap and stored at room temperature for up to 2 days.)

To make the frosting (this is a softer frosting, probably because of all the cream cheese): Using stand mixer fitted with paddle, mix butter and sugar on low speed until combined, about 30 seconds.

Increase speed to medium-high and beat until pale and fluffy, about 2 minutes.

Add cream cheese, one piece at a time, and beat until incorporated, about 1 minute.

Add reserved strawberry solids and salt and mix until combined, about 30 seconds.

Pat strawberries dry with paper towels. When cakes are cooled, spread 3/4 cup frosting over 1 cake round.

Press 1 cup sliced strawberries in even layer over frosting and cover with additional 3/4 cup frosting. Top with second cake round and spread remaining frosting evenly over top and sides of cake. Garnish with remaining strawberries. Serve.

(Cake can be refrigerated for 2 days. Bring to room temperature before serving.)

My note: You can do this in a 13 x 9-inch cake pan, too. Simply prepare the frosting and frost the cake. Use the sliced fresh strawberries to serve with the cake if you want.

Last edited:

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Strawberry Swirl Cheesecake (from Junior's 50 Cheesecakes  cookbook) 

Makes one 9-inch cheesecake, about 2-1/2 inches high

For the Sponge Cake Crust:
1/3 cup sifted cake flour
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
Pinch of salt
2 extra-large eggs, separated
1/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 drops pure lemon extract (I didn't use the lemon extract)
2 Tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar

For the Cheesecake:
10 oz. (about 1 cup) dry-pack frozen whole strawberries (unsweetened, not in syrup), thawed & drained well
5 Tablespoons cornstarch
Three 8 oz. packages cream cheese (use only full fat) at room temperature
1-1/3 cups sugar
1 Tablespoon pure vanilla extract
2 extra-large eggs
2/3 cup heavy or whipping cream, plus 1 Tablespoon for brushing
1 quart large ripe fresh strawberries

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. and generously butter the bottom and sides of a 9-inch springform pan.  Wrap the outside with aluminum foil, covering the bottom and extending all the way up the sides.

In a small bowl, sift the flour, baking powder, and salt together.

Beat the egg yolks in a large bowl with an electric mixer on high for 3 minutes.  With the mixer running, slowly add 2 Tablespoons of the sugar and beat until thick light yellow ribbons form, about 5 minutes more.  Beat in the extracts.

Sift the flour mixture over the batter and stir it in by hand, just until no more white flecks appear.  Now, blend in the melted butter.

For this step, make sure your mixing bowl and beaters are very clean--if even a little fat is left, this can cause the egg whites not to whip. Put the egg whites and cream of tartar into the bowl and beat with the mixer on high until frothy. Gradually add the remaining sugar and continue beating until stiff peaks form (the whites will stand up and look glossy, not dry). Fold about one-third of the whites into the batter, then the remaining whites. Don't worry if you still see a few white specks, as they'll disappear during baking.

Gently spread out the batter over the bottom of the pan, and bake just until set and golden (NOT wet or sticky), about 10 minutes. Touch the cake gently in the center. If it springs back, it's done. Watch carefully and don't let the top brown. Leave the crust in the pan and place on a wire rack to cool.  Leave the oven on while you prepare the batter.

Pulse the thawed strawberries in your food processor or blender until smooth (you need 3/4 cup of strawberry puree).  Stir in one tablespoon of the cornstarch and set aside.  It will thicken slightly as it stands.

Put one package of cream cheese, 1/3 cup of the sugar, and the remaining 4 Tablespoons of cornstarch in a large bowl.  Beat with an electric mixer on low until creamy, about 3 minutes, scraping the bowl down several times.  Blend in the remaining cream cheese, one package at a time, scraping down the bowl after each one.  In crease the mixer speed to medium and beat in the remaining 1 cup sugar, then the vanilla.  Blend in the eggs, one at a time, beating well after adding each one.  Beat in 2/3 cup of the cream just until completely blended.  Do not overmix. Gently spoon the batter on top of the crust.

Using a teaspoon, drop the strawberry puree in small spoonfuls on top of the batter, pushing it down slightly as you go.  Using a thin, pointed knife, cut through the batter a few times in a figure-8 design, just until red swirls appear. (Don't mix in the puree completely or the whole cake will turn pink and you'll lose the swirls.)

Place the cake in a large shallow pan containing hot water that comes about 1 inch up the sides of the springform pan.  Bake until the edges are light golden brown and the top is slightly golden tan with strawberry swirls, about 1-1/4 hours.  Remove the cheesecake from the water bath, transfer to a wire rack, and let cool for 2 hours. Don't even touch it for the two hours. Leave the cake in the pan, cover loosely with plastic wrap, and refrigerate until completely cold, at least 4 hours. (I put it in the refrigerator overnight.)

Wash and hull fresh strawberries and slice them 1/4-inch thick from top to tip, reserving the biggest, prettiest berry for the center.

To serve, release and remove the sides of the springform pan, leaving the cake on the bottom of the pan.  Brush the top outer rim of the cake with the remaining 1 Tablespoon cream (this helps the berries stay in place).  Arrange the sliced berries in a ring on top, with tips pointing outward, angling and overlapping the berries as you go.  Do not cut with a serrated knife. Use a good sharp knife to slice and wipe the knife with a wet towel after each slice.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Old-Fashioned Apple Cake with Brown Sugar Frosting (from King Arthur)

Cake

2-1/3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour or white whole wheat flour

1-2/3 cups granulated sugar

2 teaspoons baking soda

3/4 teaspoon salt

1-1/2 teaspoons Apple Pie Spice  or 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon + 1/4 teaspoon each ground ginger and ground nutmeg

2 large eggs

1/2 cup (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter, softened

4 cups peeled, cored, chopped apple, about 1-1/3 pounds whole apples

1 cup diced toasted walnuts or pecans

Frosting

7 tablespoons unsalted butter

2/3 cup brown sugar

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/4 cup milk

2-1/4 cups confectioners' sugar

3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract or 1/4 teaspoon vanilla-butternut flavor

Preheat the oven to 325°F. Grease and flour a 9 x 13-inch pan.

To make the cake: Mix all of the ingredients except the apples and nuts in a large bowl. Beat until well combined; the mixture will be very stiff, and may even be crumbly.

Add the apples and nuts, and mix until the apples release some of their juice and the stiff mixture becomes a thick batter, somewhere between cookie dough and brownie batter in consistency. Spread the batter in the prepared pan, smoothing it with your wet fingers.

Bake the cake for 45 minutes, or until a cake tester or toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, or with just a few wet crumbs clinging to it.

Remove the cake from the oven and place it on a rack to cool completely; don't remove the cake from the pan.

To make the frosting: Melt the butter in a small pan over medium heat. Stir in the brown sugar and salt and cook, stirring, until the sugar melts.

Add the milk, bring to a boil, and pour into a mixing bowl to cool for 10 minutes.

After 10 minutes, stir in the confectioners' sugar and vanilla. Beat well; if the mixture appears too thin, add more confectioners' sugar. Spread on the cake while frosting is still warm.

Yield: about 2 dozen servings.

Tips from the KA bakers

To toast nuts, place them in a single layer in a cake pan. Bake in a preheated 350°F oven for 6 to 9 minutes, until they're golden brown and smell "toasty."

To guarantee lump-free frosting, sift confectioners' sugar before adding to the butter mixture. Usually all the lumps disappear as you beat the frosting; but to guarantee no lumps at all, sift the sugar first.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
JUNIOR’S PEANUT BUTTER SWIRL CHEESECAKE - from Junior's Cheesecake Cookbook

9-inch Junior’s sponge cake crust (See below)

3     8 oz. packages cream cheese (use only full fat) at room temperature

1-1/3 cups sugar

3     Tbsp. cornstarch

1     Tbsp. pure vanilla extract

2     extra large eggs

2/3     cup plus ½ cup heavy or whipping cream

2     cups smooth peanut butter

5 (1.4 oz.) heath milk chocolate English toffee candy bars

1/4     cup lightly salted dry-roasted peanuts

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Generously butter the bottom and sides of a 9" springform pan with softened butter. Wrap outside with foil, covering the bottom and extending all the way up the sides. Make and bake crust and leave in pan. Keep oven on.

Put 1 package of the cream cheese, 1/3 cup of the sugar and the cornstarch in a large bowl. Beat with an electric mixer on low until creamy, about 3 min, scraping the bowl down several times. Blend in the remaining cream cheese, 1 package at a time, scraping down the bowl after each one. Increase mixer speed to medium and beat in the remaining 1 cup sugar, then the vanilla. Blend in the eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after adding each one. Beat in the 2/3 cup of the heavy cream just until completely blended. Be careful not to overmix! Gently spoon the batter on top of the crust.

Mix together the peanut butter and the remaining 1/2 cup heavy cream in a medium-size bowl until smooth. Using a teaspoon, drop the peanut butter in small spoonfuls on top of the batter in the pan, pushing it down slightly into the filling as you go. Using a thin, pointed knife, cut through the batter a few times in a “figure 8” design, just until golden-brown swirls appear.

Place cake in a large shallow pan containing hot water that comes about 1" up the sides of the springform. Bake until edges are light golden brown and the top has golden and tan swirls, about 1-1/4 hours. Remove cheesecake from water bath, transfer to a wire rack, and let cool for 2 hours (just walk away). Leave cake in the pan, cover loosely with plastic wrap, and refrigerate until completely cold, preferably overnight, but at least 4 hours

While cake chills, cut 1 heath bar into 2 equal pieces and reserve for center decoration. Chop remaining bars into chunky pieces.

To decorate, release and remove sides of springform, leaving the cake on the bottom of the pan. Place on a cake plate and sprinkle with heath bar pieces. Decorate center with the 2 large pieces and the peanuts. Refrigerate until ready to serve.

Note: Thin the peanut butter with the cream after the cheesecake batter is in the pan, then swirl into the filling right away. If the peanut butter sits too long, it will thicken and be difficult to work with.

Spongecake Crust for one 9-inch cake crust

Softened unsalted butter, for buttering the pan
1/3 cup sifted cake flour
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
Pinch of table salt
2 extra-large eggs, separated
1/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 drops pure lemon extract
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and generously butter the bottom and side of a 9- or 8-inch springform pan (preferably a nonstick one). Wrap the outside with aluminum foil, covering the bottom and extending it all the way up the side.

In a small bowl, sift the flour, baking powder, and salt together.

In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat the egg yolks on high for 3 minutes. With the mixer running, slowly add 2 tablespoons of the sugar and continue beating until thick light yellow ribbons form in the bowl, about 5 minutes more. Beat in the extracts.

Sift the flour mixture over the batter and stir it in by hand, just until there are no remaining white flecks. Blend in the melted butter.

In another clean bowl, using clean, dry beaters, beat the egg whites and cream of tartar together on high until frothy. Gradually add the remaining sugar and continue beating until stiff peaks form (the whites will stand up and look glossy, not dry). Fold about one-third of the whites into the batter, then the remaining whites. Don't worry if you still see a few white specks, as they'll disappear during baking.

Gently spread the batter over the bottom of the prepared pan and bake just until set and golden (not wet or sticky), about 10 minutes. Touch the cake gently in the center. If it springs back, it's done. Watch carefully and don't let the top brown. Leave the crust in the pan and place on a wire rack to cool. Leave the oven on while you prepare the batter for the cheesecake.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Cranberry Bliss Bars

Ingredients

Cake

2 sticks/cubes butter, softened
1-1/4 C brown sugar, packed
3 eggs
1 tsp ground powdered ginger
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp salt
1-1/2 C flour
3/4 C minced dried cranberries
3/4 C quality white chocolate, chopped. I used Lindt white chocolate chips
1/4 C minced candied ginger - can be found at Trader Joes

Frosting:

4 oz. cream cheese, softened
1-1/2 C powdered sugar
2 Tbsp butter, softened
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp grated orange rind

Drizzle:

2 Tbsp minced dried cranberries
1/2 C white chocolate, melted

Instructions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9 x 13 pan
Beat together butter and sugar and then add eggs and vanilla. Add flour, powdered ginger and salt. Beat well. Fold in the cranberries, chocolate chunks and minced candied ginger
Spread batter in pan and bake for about 20-25 minutes or until light golden brown
After cake cools, mix all frosting ingredients together and spread over top of cake
Sprinkle with minced cranberries
Drizzle with white chocolate.

Keep refrigerated.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Hershey's Perfectly Chocolate Chocolate Cake (This recipe used to be on the back of the Hershey's Cocoa containers. I just looked at my container and it's still there, along with the Perfectly Chocolate Chocolate Frosting -- and a recipe for Perfectly Chocolate Chocolate Hot Cocoa)

2 cups sugar

1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour

3/4 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa

1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder

1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda

1 teaspoon salt

2 eggs

1 cup milk

1/2 cup vegetable oil

2 teaspoons vanilla extract

1 cup boiling water

Perfectly Chocolate Chocolate Frosting (recipe follows)

Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour two 9-inch round baking pans.

Stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl. Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla; beat on medium speed of mixer 2 minutes. Stir in boiling water (batter will be thin). Pour batter into prepared pans.

Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely. Frost with Perfectly Chocolate Chocolate Frosting. Makes 12 servings.

ONE-PAN CAKE: Grease and flour 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking pan. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake 35 to 40 minutes. Cool completely. Frost.

THREE LAYER CAKE: Grease and flour three 8-inch round baking pans. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Pour batter into prepared pans. Bake 30 to 35 minutes. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely. Frost.

BUNDT CAKE: Grease and flour 12-cup fluted tube pan. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake 50 to 55 minutes. Cool 15 minutes; remove from pan to wire rack. Cool completely. Frost.

CUPCAKES: Line muffin cups (2-1/2 inches in diameter) with paper bake cups. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Fill cups 2/3 full with batter. Bake 22 to 25 minutes. Cool completely. Frost. About 30 cupcakes.

Perfectly Chocolate Chocolate Frosting

1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine

2/3 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa

3 cups powdered sugar

1/3 cup milk

Melt butter. Stir in cocoa. Alternately add powdered sugar and milk, beating to spreading consistency.

Add small amount additional milk, if needed. Stir in vanilla. About 2 cups frosting.

tiptopper

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This recipe for German Apple Cake was SO good with our fresh apples. It's perfectly moist and delicious. A must try if you have some extra apples!

What you will need:

2 eggs
1 cup of vegetable oil
2 cups white sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups of all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
4 cups of apples – peeled, cored, and diced

Instructions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour (1) 9 X 13 inch cake pan.
In a mixing bowl, beat oil and eggs until creamy. Add sugar and vanilla and beat well.
Combine flour, salt, baking soda, and cinnamon in another bowl.
Slowly add the flour mixture into the egg mixture and mix well. Batter will be thick.
Add the apples to the batter and mix with a wooden spoon.
Spread batter into prepared pan.
Bake for 35 to 45 minutes, oven times may vary.
Cool and serve with a dusting of powdered sugar, optional.

I found this recipe on www.allrecipes.com

Tried this recipe and after a long workout finally got it in the oven. The smell in the kitchen was overwhelming with apples and cinnamon. Satisfied with the results! Thanks

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
here's a recipe i use often -- Gramma Bertha's Banana Cake Recipe

a couple things i do differently are to add 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract when adding the eggs, and i always use mashed bananas that i've previously frozen (and then thawed) -- i find that this gives a more intense banana flavor. i also substitute plain yogurt instead of using sour cream in the recipe.

if you prefer not to click on links, please feel free to PM/Conversation me, and i'll type out the recipe for you. :)

Cat Sidhe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Here I come with a very easy...

Guinness Cake

Ingredients (Makes 8 slices)
250ml Guinness beer
100g Cocoa powder
250g Butter
400g superfine sugar (caster sugar in UK)
150ml Sour cream
2 Eggs
Vanilla extract
Baking soda (2 teaspoons)
275g Plain flour

Preheat oven to 350ºF/180 C/Gas 4. Line and grease a 9 inch/23cm cake tin. Heat up the Guinness with the butter in a large saucepan (don't let it boil, only let the butter melt through)

Add the sugar and cocoa into the warm liquid and whisk gently in the saucepan. Add the cream and whisk again. The cream will cool down the mixture so you can add the eggs and a splash of vanilla extract. Mix until completely incorporated. Add the baking soda and the flour a small amount at a time. It will become hard to keep mixing but this has to be done for 5 minutes to get rid of any lumps.

Pour the mix into the cake tin and bake for about 40 minutes. A knife will come out clean when poked in the centre.

Let it cool for at least 4 hours, and ice it if you want.

Icing: Blend 100g of icing sugar with 150ml of heavy/Whipping cream (also called Double cream or Devon cream?) and 150g of cream cheese.