Cable's got cardiomyopathy :(

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Cable's been wheezing lately, so i took her to the vet a couple of weeks ago. vet thought it was feline asthma - gave her a steroid shot - & i had recently switched to a new, lighter-weight litter that i thought might have triggered it [she's a major flinger!]. anyway, it got a little better w/the litter switch, but then came back, so we went back. vet said wheezing in lungs sound was better, & now she could hear a heart murmur, so they did x-rays. x-rays confirmed some fluid in lungs - she's now on Lasix for that - & vet was sure that the fluid was due to feline cardiomyopathy. Cable's only 7, & healthy otherwise, so the vet thinks that meds [enalapril - i take it, too!] will suffice & that she should live many more years. we're trying out the meds for a month, then a recheck to see if things have improved.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Cow is on Lasix as well, has been for about 6 months. He was retaining fluid, lethargic, and URI to boot. He's been doing very well. The vet puts his heart murmur at a 3.5 on a scale of 5.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Lots of :vibes: for Cable. Jamie was diagnosed with HCM a little over two years ago and put on an ACE inhibitor. He was fine until Halloween, when he went into congestive heart failure. Now he's taking beta blockers, a diuretic and aspirin in addition to the inhibitor and is doing okay. The vets say it's manageable for a while; what often gets them is a thrombosis.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
well, Cable's wheezing is a bit better - she's still really hoarse-sounding [her meows are very raspy], but she seems to feel better/have more energy than she did. i guess we'll just see. i think her murmur is pretty soft - the vet couldn't hear it over her lungs when we first went in - hopefully, that means it's fairly minor as murmurs go!

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Is the vet monitoring her Lasix dosage? Jamie's wheezing stopped once he had been on it for two days.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Loads of prayers coming to Cable today :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes: - such difficult news to have received but HCM can be treated and monitored so that is some good news :nod:.. FEEL BETTER SOON, Cable :heart3: :rub: :rub:

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Is the vet monitoring her Lasix dosage? Jamie's wheezing stopped once he had been on it for two days.
no - the vet gave me a 30 day supply of it [same w/the enalapril] & told me to have her come in for a recheck when that was gone - she'll probably go in a bit before that, tho. she's still got a raspy meow, altho the coughing/wheezing has reduced quite a bit.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Jamie's vet saw him more often than that. He just went in yesterday after four weeks of no visits, but he'd been in about 10 times the first two weeks. He was in pretty bad shape, though.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
well, Cable's acting like she feels just fine - running around, etc. her meow's still raspy, but she's no longer coughing or wheezing. isn't she younger than Jamie, too? she just turned 7 this past August...

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
That's good - it sounds like the meds are working for her. Yeah, Jamie is a senior cat - he'll be 13 in April, and has already outlived all four of his siblings.