cabin fever

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since it is cold, cloudy and just generally yucky I can't garden (nothing would grow anyway right now). I don't like sports of any kind so I don't ski or snowboard. I like my bones unbroken! :) I can't go anywhere because of Covid so I am stuck in the house. This time of year I usually start complaining but this year it is even worse. I can only plan my vegetable garden so many times! It is to early to start any seeds. I am desperate enough today to maybe start some artichokes. They are an experiment since I have never eaten them. My grow lights are being delivered today for my little greenhouse so when my onion seeds come I can get them started mid February.

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so jealous of the snow (though my 18 month old nephew broke his femur when he was taken out to play in the bit we had, so I guess it can happen at any age). I so envy you being able to stay home. I would read, and cook, and then read while I was cooking! I've never tried to grow root vegetables except for radishes (always dig them up too early). Isn't that what their called when the vegetables themselves are undergroud? Root vegetables? :think: The greenhouse sounds wonderful. I'm not good with indoor plants, but check the ASPCA list for things that aren't poison to animals and try my hand at them. The Vanilla Trails African violet survived a year before giving itself up to my overwatering. :sniffle: We also have a couple of citrus trees going in DH's man-cave because something about the central air in our house kills most plants. The fruit those produce are more sour than lemons, so the insects don't bother them. I am the only one who loves them so much that I eat the fruit before it is even ripe.

Would you mind posting some pics when the lights are set up? :clap:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so jealous of the snow (though my 18 month old nephew broke his femur when he was taken out to play in the bit we had, so I guess it can happen at any age). I so envy you being able to stay home. I would read, and cook, and then read while I was cooking! I've never tried to grow root vegetables except for radishes (always dig them up too early). Isn't that what their called when the vegetables themselves are undergroud? Root vegetables? :think: The greenhouse sounds wonderful. I'm not good with indoor plants, but check the ASPCA list for things that aren't poison to animals and try my hand at them. The Vanilla Trails African violet survived a year before giving itself up to my overwatering. :sniffle: We also have a couple of citrus trees going in DH's man-cave because something about the central air in our house kills most plants. The fruit those produce are more sour than lemons, so the insects don't bother them. I am the only one who loves them so much that I eat the fruit before it is even ripe.

Would you mind posting some pics when the lights are set up? :clap:
If I read while I am cooking I forget to check on it and then burn it! My garden is going to feed us all year (I hope) cutting the grocery bill. The green house is actually very small - more like a bookcase with a zippered cover to retain humidity. Hubby told me to get the big one this year (it is a walk in) but since I would have to go into the store to get it, I decided against it. Besides, I am shooting to get a 'real' greenhouse at some point. One with vents, heaters and something that will hold up outside.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I was looking at small greenhouses a few years ago. I’ve already bought my seeds for outside but I don’t grow anything inside. I was tempted to look at those countertop herb growers.

I have a bajillion things I COULD do; but not much I WANT to do. 🤪