C19 virus. What are the protocols for your veterinarian visits ?

kittypa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I guess I should start by saying I’m in Los Angeles county with about ten million other people. I have an appointment coming up Friday and I’m not happy about the way they’re doing it. I am instructed to park, call them, and someone will come out and gets my cat and take him inside. I stay in my car and talk on the phone for the examination.

I’m having a hard time with this. My little guy gets badly stressed out. I want to be with him.

What are your experiences/thoughts ?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have two vets....and I am in Los Angeles as well. One vet is for the cats, but the dog goes elsewhere. Both are doing exactly what you describe. When I asked the cat vet when they might allow some sort of restricted entrance with the cat he said in the late summer.

I have not taken any cats in as the three in question who might need to go will become incredibly upset. One has refused to allow the staff to handle him and they have made me, in the past, go in and do it for them, so I am not sure how that will work and I don't want him manhandled. This boy needs to have his BUN readings checked and since his next step is probably an internist, I am not thrilled about dropping him off in the parking lot of a place that neither of us has ever been. The vet who sees another cat who has lymphoma has been quite accommodating on the phone with prescriptions.

The dog vet is doing the same thing and I have dropped him off twice now.....no choice as he needs critical blood tests to continue medication, but I also like them better in terms of how they handle animals. He has been fine both times and the appointment has gone smoothly. However, interesting part....he is a big GSD who cannot get into my car without two people lifting him. So when I pick him up, a tech has to come out, with mask of course, and then we have to stand shoulder to shoulder to get him in the car.

I don't know if we have any choice to be honest given the protocols in LA county, unless your vet is willing to make some exception for you. I completely sympathize with you about having to hand your cat over to them in the parking lot and I guess all you/we can do is to determine how important the appointment is to the well being of the animal.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittypa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your reply. I think my kitty Peko has worms. I saw one “peeking out” a couple times, so I want to have him treated. I worry because he’s not comfortable with strangers, even at home.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am also in Southern California and have a rabbit and cat vet. My cat vet has been doing what you described since late March. I had to take my rabbit in late March and the rabbit vet wasn't doing anything different. Honestly, the whole time I was at the rabbit vet I was worried. But even during the best time, taking a rabbit to the vet can be stressful since my rabbit is afraid of dogs and the vet sees dogs.

One of my cats ended up needing a week long hospital stay in April and it was honestly less stressful to wait in my car during the initial exam (waiting quietly in my car and my cat not getting upset being moved around or crossing paths with other patients in the waiting room). I feel like it took less time too but that might have just been preception. But I also tend to wait outside the office if the weather is nice because of my allergies.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
How critical is an in-person vet visit at this time? Is your vet doing video conferences?

I'm in Arizona, and my vet is doing basically the same as yours. One of my cats was scheduled for a dental with a vet in the same practice that I'd never seen (scheduling conflicts on my end). My vet had suggested having the other vet do the pre-op check as well as the surgery so she could meet me and my kitty ahead of time. That was set up before everything shut down.

My vet's office always calls a few days before to confirm appointments. At the time I confirmed they were saying stay in your car until someone comes to get you and one person can go into the exam room with the pet. When I actually got there it was, "sorry, you can't go in. The doctor will talk to you on the phone." This was one of my show cats who is totally cool with being handled by multiple strangers without me being right there, but I wasn't cool with it myself. As badly as she needed the dental, I ended up rescheduling for a month later when her own vet could do the procedure.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been avoiding vet visits so far so I haven't done it myself but that's what my vet says they're doing.

Could be worse I guess. My mom's vet quit entirely and put the practice up for sale :/.

kittenmittens84

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I’m also in california and my vet is doing the same, although she does video calls instead of phone calls. I had to take my guy in a month ago for follow up bloodwork and while it wasn’t great to sit in the car, my vet is a cat whisperer who can coax my cat onto a towel in her lap (he’s not a lap cat lol) and draw blood while he just hangs out there so I wasn’t too worried about him.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our vets are doing the same thing, you wait in the parking lot and talk to the vet on your phone. I think this is standard practice for most vets at this time.
Also, not the same as a vet visit but my daughter's orthodontist is doing basically the same thing, parents have to wait in the car in the parking lot.
Could be worse I guess. My mom's vet quit entirely and put the practice up for sale :/.
Yeah, my usual vet hasn't come back to work yet... I hope she hasn't retired. I love my vet!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm in the vicinity of Orlando, FL and the vets here are open, and even doing standard check ups. BUT, same thing - cat goes in through a side door, and you stay in your car until the vet visit is over. Feeby is past due for her geriatric check up, but I am not taking her in until I can be with her - unless something happens between now and whenever that is. As far as I know, they don't do phone dialog during the appointment. My vet is good about follow-up phone calls though, and they also do a lot of emails for information sharing.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My vet follows the same protocol, and it works well. Lily tore a claw off last week, and although they were fully booked, they worked her in. I was glad I didn't have to take her into the waiting room. She's frightened by dogs, so it was nice to wait in the car and comfort her.

Silver Crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My last vet visit they left the antibiotics I had to pick up in a basket on their porch..no entry into the premises at all.
Bit of a quandary though because if my cat needed physical treatment there is a notation in the vets records that I have seen that cat is only to be handled when owner is present.
Wonder how they would cope that one.

clpeters23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Scribbles has her annual geriatric checkup Friday with the same "I can't go in the building with her" protocol. I considered putting it off until things return to normal, but here in Illinois, I don't know how long that may be, and I am not comfortable waiting.

goingpostal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm bringing my crew for annuals tomorrow and we're supposed to wait outside and call, they'll come out and get them. Will be interesting to see how it goes I guess.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm in NJ, and it the wait in the car situation here also.
For me personally, I think this works better. Luna gets really stressed at the vet. Being able to wait in the car with her, no dogs around, less noise and weird smells for her, and I can open the carrier and comfort her. Last time I went over was a few weeks ago and from my perspective, it was a lot better for both of us. I would prefer to be in the room but I have an exceptionally good reapport with the vet we use at the practice, and the techs adore my cats so I know they are being handled well. The vet calls me while I'm waiting to give me the rundown, make decisions, etc. I've never been rushed off the phone.
It's fine. I am concerned a little because Luna has upcoming surgery and that, may be a little more upsetting for me - dropping her off curbside for surgery - IDK...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittypa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One thing that concerns me is that there have been times when someone had to show me how to give sub-q fluids, or use a syringe to give oral medication. Can’t do that by phone, but I don’t reckon any dramatic treatments as a result of this visit.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I live in Oregon, and my vet is following the same procedure. I have to take Lily in Thursday because I believe she may have kidney disease. I hate that I can’t be in the room with her, but she really needs to be seen. However, the vet will actually come out to the parking lot wearing a mask to explain the result of the visit. (I’ll be wearing a mask, too.)

Swttea

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think only one of the vets in my area is doing this mandatory. If you call, it is in the "welcome message" to not get out of your car. But, I don't really go to this vet anymore after several mishaps with prescriptions with my dogs. At least, this was the case a few weeks ago. I've not called them in a while.

There is one that will do this upon request, but not requiring it.

Another doesn't seem to be doing anything of the sort.

The vets themselves are wearing mask in the exam rooms, but the staff at the front and most of the assistants aren't. It seems pointless to me. Why aren't they all in mask?... Sigh. I always put on a mask to go in, being high-risk.
They're also still having people sign things, and just handing out the same pens over and over, and don't have sanitizer out for anyone.

I would obviously prefer not to go at all, but with Winnie being a kitten, she had to have shots, and wellness checks. I had questions every time, too, so I am glad to have been in the room but, it's unsettling to see so many people without mask on at the clinic. And reusing pens without sanitation, etc.

I feel that my state is pretending it doesn't exist.