By-products and meal!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kbstarfish

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think the issue here is how the byproduct is stored and handled, not the byproduct itself. There is nothing wrong with using byproducts of the meat in pet foods, things like the beaks, feathers, bones, blood, organs, etc are all good things in the food. Just because they aren't things that you would personally eat doesn't mean they aren't things an animal would naturally eat. I see no issue with byproducts themselves, however keeping everything cooled and sanitary costs a lot more money meaning the food will cost a lot more. So you are really only likely going to get byproducts that were treated like human grade food (kept refrigerated, stored in sealed containers, etc) with the much smaller companies that charge premium prices (like around $10 a pound or more), or if you make your own food.

Most people can't afford spending hundreds of dollars a month on the high end foods to feed their cat(s), and/or are unable for one reason or another to make their own food. It's great if you are able to and can afford it, but not everyone can, similar to how not everyone can afford to eat only minimally processed organically grown foods, or even to completely cut out all ultra-processed foods from their diet.

If you do a bit of research on what you are feeding, or even read any news about pet foods in the past 20 years or so, it's actually been common knowledge that byproducts are not pristine meat that has been cooked down Byproducts - AAFCO it's the leftovers from the meat process not fit for humans. The high heat they cook the commercial made kibble at does kill off the majority of the micro organisms, and the resulting kibble is suppose to be free from any disease-causing bacteria, so you don't often see issues from eating the food unless something goes wrong (again similar to humans eating ultra-processed foods). Also things like ear tags should be removed before processing into kibble, just because something goes into the bin does not mean they don't sort it and remove non food items at the facility making the kibble.
The facility I was referring to, cooks down all of the "things" it receives. Royal Canin is ONE that I have photographic evidence of purchasing this crap. There are others, but photographing them comes with a risk that we cannot take at this time. When it comes time to part ways with this company, I will get every photo possible! My husband sees what goes on there, every day, with his own eyes. He is very keen on what is "BAD". That is why there are no cameras allowed on the premises, and 6ft fence with razor wire at the top! If they even knew what I have done for 24 years, they would come up with a way to fire him! A particular feed mill in Oklahoma (pigs), would not hire him because the secretary saw me at the OKLAHOMA CITY ZOO, protesting! She told the big dog boss!! Unfortunately, my husband had his career before he met me. He does not like what he does for a living, but in this part of the country, it pays.....NOT HIS FAULT.

IzzysfureverMom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Cat food is certainly a touchy subject and often as stated here before comes down to money not only at the company level but consumers as well. At the start of the pandemic I was paying $16 to $18 dollars a case for a food our 19 year old cat was eating it was not the best in some folks opinion but definitely not the worst. However she ate it ( and this is pretty important isn't it? ) and was doing well on it. At $16 to $18 that was expensive to me for this food. Three years later that same food was $ 28 to $30 a case. So how many people can bear that kind of change in expense? There is a reason, at least here why so many animals were returned to shelters after the pandemic.As with all things there is a balance.
Yes there are issues with production of food but as Alldara Alldara stated research is lacking on cat food research. Commercial foods should be meeting minimum standards. The flip side of the coin is we are so worried about the ' unknown ' by products we completely overlook other things in cat foods that are far worse.
Many people will say I only feed ' human grade' cat food. That is a mixed bag as well as in my opinion as some ingredients are not appropriate for cats. They are cats and they have different nutritional needs.
The AAFCO has a labeling system in place that would probably give people a better insight about the food they are looking at than just solely looking at only the ingredients. I find it useful.
I have said it before do your research and get email alerts on recalls.
Even with research you have to look at everything. Some information you will come across is sensationalized to shock without much substance.
There are always a lot of very shocking photos. Many times without any information on what is being done or not being done.
I know plenty of folks who don't want to know any of it, they just want to love their furkids.I think because of the subject being so touchy with so many various opinions mixed with facts we could keep going around and around.

Last edited:

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Cat food is certainly a touchy subject and often as stated here before comes down to money not only at the company level but consumers as well. At the start of the pandemic I was paying $16 to $18 dollars a case for a food our 19 year old cat was eating it was not the best in some folks opinion but definitely not the worst. However she ate it ( and this is pretty important isn't it? ) and was doing well on it. At $16 to $18 that was expensive to me for this food. Three years later that same food was $ 28 to $30 a case. So how many people can bear that kind of change in expense? There is a reason, at least here why so many animals were returned to shelters after the pandemic.As with all things there is a balance.
Yes there are issues with production of food but as Alldara Alldara stated research is lacking on cat food research. Commercial foods should be meeting minimum standards. The flip side of the coin is we are so worried about the ' unknown ' by products we completely overlook other things in cat foods that are far worse.
Many people will say I only feed ' human grade' cat food. That is a mixed bag as well as in my opinion as some ingredients are not appropriate for cats. They are cats and they have different nutritional needs.
The AAFCO has a labeling system in place that would probably give people a better insight about the food they are looking at than just solely looking at only the ingredients. I find it useful.
I have said it before do your research and get email alerts on recalls.
Even with research you have to look at everything. Some information you will come across is sensationalized to shock without much substance.
There are always a lot of very shocking photos. Many times without any information on what is being done or not being done.
I know plenty of folks who don't want to know any of it, they just want to love their furkids.I think because of the subject being so touchy with so many various opinions mixed with facts we could keep going around and around.
Yep. Exactly. I always just add...do you research only if it involves actual peer review studies. If you are reading a blog, or watching a video, they should provide legitimate sources to be considered a secondary source.

Research is only as good as the source. The danger with "do your own research" is that most people dont know how to do that.

IzzysfureverMom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yep. Exactly. I always just add...do you research only if it involves actual peer review studies. If you are reading a blog, or watching a video, they should provide legitimate sources to be considered a secondary source.

Research is only as good as the source. The danger with "do your own research" is that most people dont know how to do that.
Amen! Verify Verify. Sources are very important. As you stated video and blogs are often presented as fact when they are solely opinion! That works well for personal agendas but not giving substantiated information .I've said it before it is a emotional issue for me at times , but that can be just as bad or worse as no knowledge at all. When we are to emotional there is a tendency to not make good decisions Nothing in life is just black or white there are a lot of gray areas. Shutting down plants or many other factors that could also make cost skyrocket scares me just as much.People have budgets they have to live within. Sometimes you may or may not be able adjust priorities a make higher cost work but if you already getting squeezed financially then what.? The woman I mentioned in a post above loves her cats to pieces and they are her life. Her cats are thriving because of her care.There is no correct way everyone is different. What works for my cat may work for someone else's at all. Last thing I want to see is more cats without homes.

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The facility I was referring to, cooks down all of the "things" it receives. Royal Canin is ONE that I have photographic evidence of purchasing this crap. There are others, but photographing them comes with a risk that we cannot take at this time. When it comes time to part ways with this company, I will get every photo possible! My husband sees what goes on there, every day, with his own eyes. He is very keen on what is "BAD". That is why there are no cameras allowed on the premises, and 6ft fence with razor wire at the top! If they even knew what I have done for 24 years, they would come up with a way to fire him! A particular feed mill in Oklahoma (pigs), would not hire him because the secretary saw me at the OKLAHOMA CITY ZOO, protesting! She told the big dog boss!! Unfortunately, my husband had his career before he met me. He does not like what he does for a living, but in this part of the country, it pays.....NOT HIS FAULT.
Ok so you are saying your husband also works at Royal Canin and sees and have ANY actual evidence that they just put everything from the vats including things that are not animal products into the food when making it? Yes I know they cook down all the animal byproducts in the vats, but meat byproduct is things from the actual animal like the organs, meat unfit for humans, blood, feathers, beaks, feet, etc, not plastics, metals, and poison containing materials like flea collars (not sure how flea collars got in the vats with the beef and chicken though), those things are removed before they are cooked down. If you want to argue that meat by products sitting outside in open vats is gross that's fine, and I agree, but saying that plastic, metal, and poisoned items are also legally considered "meat byproduct" and used in making pet food just because you have photos and have seen them in the shipping vat being loaded on a trailer is just ignorant assumptions not actual proof.

If you have proof of them intentionally (accidents happen even in human food processing) putting other items in the food then you should report them, that is 100% illegal and would result in a lot of deaths. However it sounds like the only actual "proof" you have is that they were in the vats when they left the rendering plant, and zero proof that any of the items actually make it into the pet food. It's like saying for example you have proof that people have stickers in the meals they make at home because produce at grocery stores have stickers on them and you have photos and have seen with your own eyes the stickers still on the produce when it goes into the shopping bags and loaded into their cars. Even if you honestly do believe that, that doesn't make it fact. Similarly just because some place purchases vats of meat by product that can contain other items does not mean they don't take out the plastic, metal, and any other toxic materials if they somehow got into the vats with the cow or chicken parts. Or are you saying your husband is also processing cats and dogs at the rendering facility and selling their parts along with their collars as "beef by product" or "chicken by product", because that is illegal too and should be reported.

I personally don't feed Royal Canin, I've done my own research (just because you didn't doesn't mean that no one does) and found them to be an expensive but overall not a good quality food for the price, so it's no surprise at all to me that the byproduct they used in the food is gross. Also yes, meat processing places do have rules and have to have tight security nowadays to help try to keep the wackos and activists from interrupting and/or vandalizing the facility or endangering themselves and/or employees. Also no photos or videos to help try to prevent those same type of people from making fake "fact" videos, or taking photos, often taken out of context, selectively edited, and/or spliced together, like the ones groups like PETA are so fond of making, to create "proof" for whatever they are currently trying to claim as "really happening". Protecting themselves, employees, and their company is not proof what they are doing is illegal or that they are trying to hide anything.