Buying prescription food online

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
My vet will not do it. Is there a sneaky way to get around this? I don't want to change vets,find out my cat doesn't like it,then switch back. Geez!

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
I've only ever used the online vet store that is through my vet. They ship right to the door. I've heard though that some places (amazon) Will take a prescription and order food from them.

I don't think there's a place that will do it without one though since it is treated like prescription drugs.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Chewy doesn't ship to my country so I don't know about them. But maybe they would do it too. Amazon ships pretty much anywhere though so may be more better if you live in another country.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I personally know of no online seller who will fulfill a prescription order without first reaching out to the vet (you give them the contact information) if you don't have a written prescription to provide upfront. Your vet apparently doesn't want to do it this way because they are profiting from you buying it through their office, or so I am guessing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
OK, I guess I'm out of luck. I will ask again when I pick her up after her teeth cleaning

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I do know - long, long before COVID-19 - I went to a local PetSmart who made the prescription for what I needed at that time, as far as I know without authorization from my vet (they never asked for vet info). But, that was many years ago, and was with a PetSmart that had a built in Banfield pet clinic - even though I never used their facilities for pet care. I used them for as many years as Feeby was on script food. For what it is worth...

John Perram

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My vet will not do it. Is there a sneaky way to get around this? I don't want to change vets,find out my cat doesn't like it,then switch back. Geez!
Yea great way to get around it go to a different vet. I find it obnoxious that they call cat food a prescription yet no drugs are in it. All this is is price gouging. Luckily my cat refused to eat any.

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Won’t your vet sell you a few cans of different textures so you can find out if your cat will eat it? I had a cat that the vet said he should eat special food so she sold me a few cans of different varieties so I could find out which he would eat. Unfortunately my poor little guy didn’t like any of them and I was able to return the unopened cans to vet for credit.

John Perram

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Online you're going to have to buy a full case. My rerun would eat maybe the first part of a can then that was all. The heck with it.

I'm so happy I got rerun to eat a full ham baby food with phosphate binder and vitamins added. I added spaghetti cheese she loves it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
He said I could buy at petsmart. So I will do that. Not sure if petco has royal canin SO

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That is where I got my script foods for Feeby - PetSmart, and it was RC SO (both canned and dry). Just do an internet search of PetCo and see - that will tell you if they offer it.