Buying online meds?

carlthecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello, 

Have you ever ordered with Universal Pet Meds or other online pharmacies?. I found they sell Revolution for cats at half the price that my vet selling it for. This is after taxes and shipping!! I'm scared about ordering online pet meds. So any advice is appreciated! 

I've emailed the company a few question regarding their pharmacy licence number...  since they said they were a real pharmacy. They are located in Winnipeg. 

I've checked Manitoba's pharmacy directory for their license number and couldn't find anything. Also I couldn't tell if they were accredited by the BBB because I'm not sure if their website is also the pharmacy name. 

Oh yeah and I asked if they included the DIN with all the medication. 

Uhh it might just be easier to order from my vet  
for my little guy Carl 

Last edited by a moderator:

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never heard of Universal Pet Meds, but admittedly, I've never purchased prescriptions online. There are a few I hear mentioned frequently...Wedgewood Pharmacy being one, but I think that is mainly a compounding pharmacy.

Hopefully someone from Canada will be along to help. The only general advice I can offer at this point is to just be careful about online pharmacies and "discount" pet meds. I think you are taking smart measures to ensure they are legitimate, but not all can be trusted.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have ordered online meds from Drs. Foster & Smith.  Their price on Revolution was the lowest around.  I also know folks who use 1-800-Pet-Meds.

raintyger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I, too, have ordered from Drs. Foster and Smith. Very economical, and they are one of the more well respected names in the pet supply industry.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

carlthecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
@Raintyger  Thanks for that information! I went ahead and picked up a sick pack for Revolution from my vet. From the vet it came to 23.00 per pill. I'll keep looking until I find something reliable. Dr. Smith & Foster sounds reliable. 

oneandahalfcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

@Raintyger  Thanks for that information! I went ahead and picked up a sick pack for Revolution from my vet. From the vet it came to 23.00 per pill. I'll keep looking until I find something reliable. Dr. Smith & Foster sounds reliable. 
Wow! That's really expensive at $23.00/pill = $138.00. No wonder you are looking around. I would too.

I am in Canada as well and had to dose everyone for fleas a couple of years ago. I used prescription Advantage from my vet and it was effective and much cheaper. Depending on what you are using the Revolution for (worms, fleas), Advantage should be sufficient for your needs and may be cheaper through your vet? If you prefer to use Revolution, I found the following website that sells the 6-pack of Revolution for about $73.39 CDN : http://www.vetproductsdirect.com.au/usacad/itemMatrix.asp?ic=REV-6-BL&eq=&MatrixType=2. Vet Products Direct is a BBB accredited business.

Last edited:

carebearbaby1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Have you asked your vet if they price match? At my vet, if you find a cheaper price you bring in a print out and they'll match the cheaper price (plus the cost of shipping). This is how I get both my dogs' meds. Aspen's Proin, that would cost me $53 at the vet price, only costs $18 with the price match.

crosbycat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Used Universal Pet Meds for cat meds, they advise delivery takes at least 2 weeks and it takes much more than that. Ordered some meds online from them Dec. 8, still not received and they do not respond to emails. Questioning their credibility!!!