Buying from a breeder - need some guidance

Naperbug

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello- I am in contact with a breeder who is TICA registered. They have a 5 week old British Shorthair kitten. Very cute. However- it is not vaccinated or has any health certificate. and the breeder isn’t going to get it done either, unless i negotiate a higher price.

The kitten also has no pedigree documents and unless I pay $500 and show proof of neutering, he will not provide.

according to the breeder-if Its going to be an indoor cat there is not necessarily any reason to get vaccinated. Also that a vaccine can sometimes be too much h to handle for a little cat. And that the parents are in excellent health and championship category (showed the photos and also willing to let me see the parents).

so I have no vet checkup docs, no pedigree doc, no vaccination.

any ideas if I should make a purchase? The kitten has to wait till 8th week for delivery.

thanks

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would stay away from the breeder. 5 weeks is too young to have any vaccinations done. 8 weeks is too young to be taken away from mom. Any reputable good breeder won't let kittens go to a new home until at least 12 weeks old and with the basic vaccinations. Asking for a higher sale price just to have the vaccinations done is a red flag to me.

A good breeder will also provide all the paperwork and pedigrees right away. A proof of neuter may be asked for but that's usually to get the paperwork necessary to have the cat registered with TICA or CFA, at least that's what I needed to do with my cat.

I suggest checking for any reviews of this breeder online. I'm not sure if you can contact TICA and ask for any complaints about the breeder. There are likely some breeders registered with a cat association but they may not be the best breeders. Some people are just into it for the money and having a cat association registration makes the breeder seem more legit.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Naperbug

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Actually - let me make a correction after reading texts exchanged with the breeder.

the kitten is currently 8 weeks old and breeder mentioned to show pedigree documents / TICA registration of the parents if needed.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I would stay away from the breeder.
:yeah:

So many red flags here! 8 weeks old is still too young to consider separating a kitten from their mother. 12 weeks is the minimum.

Even indoor only cats should at least get their initial core vaccines. Contagious. fatal diseases can be passed to cats even without directly coming into contact with an infected animal.

It all sounds a bit dodgy to me

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Actually - let me make a correction after reading texts exchanged with the breeder.

the kitten is currently 8 weeks old and breeder mentioned to show pedigree documents / TICA registration of the parents if needed.
Do you mean they will show you the parents’ papers or they will provide the documentation needed to register the kitten if you want to show it? Many breeders will charge more for show quality cats/kittens but I don’t like that they’re charging more just to give you the papers. My first pedigreed cat was pet quality, but the lower price included all shots, neutering, and registration papers.

I can understand not wanting to overvaccinate cats. However, kittens do need the protection of the first series of vaccinations. I do this even with my rescue cats. After the first year of shots I have my vet do titers to make sure they’re still protected.

I would seriously consider looking for another breeder. Ask to see the full contract before you put any money down and make sure the written contract is the same as what you heard or what was written in emails. One point that should be in every contract is a health guarantee.

If you still want this kitten after you compare the breeders’ policies, that’s your option.
Good luck with getting your new baby.

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello- I am in contact with a breeder who is TICA registered. They have a 5 week old British Shorthair kitten. Very cute. However- it is not vaccinated or has any health certificate. and the breeder isn’t going to get it done either, unless i negotiate a higher price.

The kitten also has no pedigree documents and unless I pay $500 and show proof of neutering, he will not provide.

according to the breeder-if Its going to be an indoor cat there is not necessarily any reason to get vaccinated. Also that a vaccine can sometimes be too much h to handle for a little cat. And that the parents are in excellent health and championship category (showed the photos and also willing to let me see the parents).

so I have no vet checkup docs, no pedigree doc, no vaccination.

any ideas if I should make a purchase? The kitten has to wait till 8th week for delivery.

thanks
I would never get a kitten from a breeder who leaves any earlier than 12 weeks old and isn't fixed. Any reputable breeder would fix their kittens before they leave to ensure it gets done. There is zero reason why you should pay $500 to get papers. I would stay far away from that breeder. Someone like that screams kitten mill or horrible backyard breeder and many times the kittens arent actually purebred. Go to the tica website to find a reputable breeder near you instead. A good breeder is worth paying extra for because they provide health guarantees for up to 2 years as well as lifelong guidance. And require the kitten to be returned if it doesn't work out.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Naperbug

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Mods- am i allowed to post photo of a kitten breeder is selling? I wanted to get opinion of experienced people here to give me opinion.

Thanks