Buying Cat Food from Europe

kry

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, I have noticed that I cannot buy European brands cat food in the United States. I do love to try some new brands, is there any website where I can buy European brands cat food and allow US dollar transaction and shipping to the US?

Thank you!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Also, there are other brands from Canada and New Zealand you could consider
Orijen, Acana, First Mate, and Ziwi Peak, Naturally New Zealand - if you type New Zealand Cat Food into your browser there are quite a few.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kry

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Orijen, Acana, First Mate, and Ziwi Peak, Naturally New Zealand - if you type New Zealand Cat Food into your browser there are quite a few.
My cat dislikes New Zealand cat food, even though they are high quality 😿.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Applaws is a European brand one can buy in the US. However, the wet foods sold in the US (Canada as well) are NOT complete diets. They are treat / supplement only. The dry foods are complete diets.

ashenshugar

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Only get Orijen if it's from the Canadian site.

The American site taints the food with poor quality ingredients, shoddy vetting of product, and not watching the amounts of heavy metals going into the food.

There's reports of the American Orijen food killing dogs and cats, and our cats were vomiting on it years ago when they switched the delivery of food from Canada to the USA.

We have since been using Farmina. Very happy with that food.

Makowiec

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Only get Orijen if it's from the Canadian site.

The American site taints the food with poor quality ingredients, shoddy vetting of product, and not watching the amounts of heavy metals going into the food.

There's reports of the American Orijen food killing dogs and cats, and our cats were vomiting on it years ago when they switched the delivery of food from Canada to the USA.

We have since been using Farmina. Very happy with that food.
Is it possible to get it from the Canadian site while living in the US? isn't the shipping cost more expensive also..?

ashenshugar

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is it possible to get it from the Canadian site while living in the US? isn't the shipping cost more expensive also..?
Honestly, wife and I like Farmina, and the cats are doing so well on it that I never looked. But I did a bit of research and found that it's very difficult to get Orijen from the Canadian factory from inside the USA. They do their best to deliver food from the Kentucky factory which is far less quality.

I think if you direct ordered from a local Canadian site (if possible) it may come from the Canadian factory, but it'd be hit and miss and you'd have to carefully read the ingredients and where it was made on the bag and do due study to verify the food isn't from the tainted factory in Kentucky. I'd not risk it with my cats.

It's likely far less effort to get another dry food that you can trust.

With proteins, especially beans as filler, be very very careful on the ingredient list. Some shady 'higher brand' cat food companies have been tricking the ingredient list with shady practices.

One thing we noticed is that they, shall we say, stack the deck so that 'meat' protein is listed first.

However, if you read the added ingredients you'll see like 8 to 12 different types of beans added.

So if the top two ingredients are, for example, salmon and chicken, it states to have 70% protein, and it lists 12 different bean additives in the middle of the ingredient list. Exactly how much of that protein is from beans, which have a very high protein content?

They distributed different types of beans in the ingredients so that beans likely won't be listed in the top ingredients. How shady is that?

So be very careful with ingredients, add up all the ingredients that could add protein, and carefully consider what really is the protein content the food contains. You may be hurting your little fluff babies.

Makowiec

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Honestly, wife and I like Farmina, and the cats are doing so well on it that I never looked. But I did a bit of research and found that it's very difficult to get Orijen from the Canadian factory from inside the USA. They do their best to deliver food from the Kentucky factory which is far less quality.

I think if you direct ordered from a local Canadian site (if possible) it may come from the Canadian factory, but it'd be hit and miss and you'd have to carefully read the ingredients and where it was made on the bag and do due study to verify the food isn't from the tainted factory in Kentucky. I'd not risk it with my cats.

It's likely far less effort to get another dry food that you can trust.

With proteins, especially beans as filler, be very very careful on the ingredient list. Some shady 'higher brand' cat food companies have been tricking the ingredient list with shady practices.

One thing we noticed is that they, shall we say, stack the deck so that 'meat' protein is listed first.

However, if you read the added ingredients you'll see like 8 to 12 different types of beans added.

So if the top two ingredients are, for example, salmon and chicken, it states to have 70% protein, and it lists 12 different bean additives in the middle of the ingredient list. Exactly how much of that protein is from beans, which have a very high protein content?

They distributed different types of beans in the ingredients so that beans likely won't be listed in the top ingredients. How shady is that?

So be very careful with ingredients, add up all the ingredients that could add protein, and carefully consider what really is the protein content the food contains. You may be hurting your little fluff babies.
I don't currently have any pets, so Im good on that, still doing research for future kitten. I'm practically sold to Farmina, so far.

ashenshugar

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't currently have any pets, so Im good on that, still doing research for future kitten. I'm practically sold to Farmina, so far.
And here's some pictures of our happy fur-butt, so you can see how he's doing on Farmina. He's nearly 5 years old now.

Pyewacket, the Norwegian Forest.
pyebelly.png
paws.jpg

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi, I have noticed that I cannot buy European brands cat food in the United States. I do love to try some new brands, is there any website where I can buy European brands cat food and allow US dollar transaction and shipping to the US?

Thank you!
In short, no, you can’t. I moved to US from Europe almost three ago and believe me, I’ve searched some of the brands I used to feed my guys over the ocean but they are generally not available. You can buy some of the European brands that decided specifically to formulate and sell in the US (applaws, Farmina, almo nature) but I don’t consider them comparable to high quality stuff I was feeding back there (Granata Pet, Grau, Catz Finefood, Power of Nature). Just so you know, European nutrition standards for pet food differ from the American AAFCO standards so it’s not so easy to just sell it here (hence some of the cans sold in Canada are considered not complete).

Makowiec

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
In short, no, you can’t. I moved to US from Europe almost three ago and believe me, I’ve searched some of the brands I used to feed my guys over the ocean but they are generally not available. You can buy some of the European brands that decided specifically to formulate and sell in the US (applaws, Farmina, almo nature) but I don’t consider them comparable to high quality stuff I was feeding back there (Granata Pet, Grau, Catz Finefood, Power of Nature). Just so you know, European nutrition standards for pet food differ from the American AAFCO standards so it’s not so easy to just sell it here (hence some of the cans sold in Canada are considered not complete).
I moved back in 2013 from Europe as well, (now in Oregon) but I used to feed the Canadian-made Orijen. Nowadays though, seems like is not the best choice...too bad. I will try Farmina for sure.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kry

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ah okay, thanks. My cat is on a wet food and there is a limited amount of good brands compared to European brands. I was actually trying to get Catz Finefood, but seems impossible living in this country.

livismom1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat seems to like the Farmina. But so far only 2 flavors. The wild boar and the venison and pumpkin. And when I say he likes it, I mean that he will eat more than 2-3 bites of it. All other wet food he turns his nose up.

infrared

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I seem like I got the same problem with you. I fed my kitty Fancy Feast for 3 years, but she doesn't seem to like the brand much these days. I found a French brand Ousri that looks good, but I haven't found a way to buy it in the US. Sooo sad.

Luc

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You should easily find Almo Nature and Farmina in the Usa. They are both from Italy and both are considered very good.
I have 4 cats and give Farmina (dry food ) in the morning and Almo Nature ( wet food ) in the evening.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just wanted to point out that some European brands may be sold in the US but the foods are only supplement / treat type foods. Be sure to read the label before buying. If the only ingredients are meat or fish in broth / water / liquid with maybe one or two other ingredients and zero vitamins and minerals, the food is a supplement / treat food and not a complete diet.

The canned / pouched / pot Applaws foods sold in the US are supplement./ treat only. The dry food is a complete diet.

The Almo Nature Complete and Daily Complete lines canned foods are complete diets. These are the specific foods: Wide assortment of products for cats | Almo Nature

For some reason Daily Complete isn't a search option but these are the foods: Wide assortment of products for cats | Almo Nature

The other lines of Almo Nature foods that may be sold in the US are supplement / treat only.