Buying a cat vs rescuing a cat

mydaddysjag

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
None of my cats are from the shelter, only because our county shelter keeps FIV cats housed with healthy cats, and does not vaccinate.  That said, none of my cats are purchases.  One was a stray, one we got shortly after birth (still covered in blood and umbilical stump just chewed) Im not sure what happened, but our older cat was outside, and brought her in.  Theres no way it was her kitten, she had been spayed for years and was never pregnant.  I can only wonder that the mom died giving birth or shortly after, and our cat found the kittens (she brought two in and sat them on the kitchen floor like HERE, take care of it). The next was found nearly dead in -10 degree weather in a pile of sawdust at a barn, and our current kitten is the offspring of a feral cat or unfriendly stray that ended up at a friends barn.

Where I live have a HUGE (think 50+ cats in summer) over population of strays and feral cats.  I live in a townhouse complex, and the management refuses a TNR program, they have animal control come.  I was threatened with eviction when I was TNR cats, and for feeding them.  Last year I caught all of the kittens and adults that were catchable and put frontline plus on them, treated ear mites, and dewormed.  My neighbor turned me in for it, and I really got chewed out, and they called animal control who I assume PTS as soon as they get them, as the cats werent at the shelter when I went there.  I wanted to let them know that the cats mostly had flea treatment and dewormed (except those too feral to catch/handle)  I still feed them in winter when its frozen outside, but cant take care of them to the extent I want due to lease regulations.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If your shelter has the cats caged there is no problem with the FIV cats being housed with FIV negative cats.  FIV is only transmitted through bites particularly deep bites as in fighting.  It isn't air-borne and isn't transmitted through casual contact including mutual grooming.

mydaddysjag

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They allow all cats of the same gender to roam free on a screened patio while they clean cages daily.  Their dogs generally have kennel cough and puppies often have parvo, they dont provide vet treatment or vaccines.